Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am a Dominica Bay Run man myself. I love the smell of that stuff and the bottle.
Clubman by Pinaud smells the way the old fashioned barber shop did when I was a kid, and that is a beautiful thing.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, and also their Lime aftershave. Both are very reasonably priced (unlike competitors) and are masculine without being "foofy". St. Johns used to be rationally priced, but they're ridiculous now.

I've liked using bay rum since I started shaving, and my wife likes it, too. There are plenty of recipes online if one wants to make their own - but I'd just as soon buy it.

My dad used Mennen Skin Bracer (a very masculine product) for years, but when its price went up in the 70's he started using Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal aftershave.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Check out these useful threads on vintage male scents

I only remember these threads guys as they are so interesting and informative! So have a look at these as well for your amusement, as there were some great smelling scents for men that even I hadn't heard of!!
Hope you find them useful..!!

(Also, if you pop into the Lounge Search Bar (above) words like 'shave,' or 'wax' there's some great male grooming threads that I could just read and read again! how sad)
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2423&highlight=scent

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4351&highlight=scent

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3374&highlight=scent

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2671&highlight=scent

Except the Lilac Vegetal, P.U.

The CLubman Pinaud line up is great, except the Lilac Vegetal. That stuff the fragrence of the LV is frightening and revolting. It brings on a revulsion that is from the reptile brain, and is lodged in the spine, it is a link that is older than history or pre history, bordering on genetic revulsion. I am transported to a very busy, and poorly ventilated restroom in a facility housing very eldery men with bowel trouble after taking Vitamin B. Truly dreadful.

If I had more time I'd really tell you how I feel about it,
John in Covina

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
The CLubman Pinaud line up is great, except the Lilac Vegetal. That stuff the fragrence of the LV is frightening and revolting. It brings on a revulsion that is from the reptile brain, and is lodged in the spine, it is a link that is older than history or pre history, bordering on genetic revulsion. I am transported to a very busy, and poorly ventilated restroom in a facility housing very eldery men with bowel trouble after taking Vitamin B. Truly dreadful.

If I had more time I'd really tell you how I feel about it,
John in Covina

Agreed! It smells like a nursing home!
Horrible stuff....

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I can't say that I ever noticed the LV much on dad - not a very durable fragrance...pretty much disappeared in a few minutes. I remember that the Skin Bracer he wore lasted all day if he gave me a hug.

Bay Rum is my all-time favorite. Just don't think it will ever go out of style, and there's nothing faddish about it.

Pinaud line

The bay rum is great, it is a barbershop favorite and what men should smell like. I also like the lime, the Musk ad the Vanilla. Addidas has a Sport aftershave i like, it come in a triangular shaped bottle a clean smell not over powering.

John in Covina

FLORIDA WATER by Murray & Lanman

This one although listed as a cologne is more of an aftershave and I really love it. It has a citrusy / spicy and slightly woodsy fragrence, quite a bracer to slap on after a close shave with the straight razor.

It can be found in pharmacies and some larger supermarkets I have seen it in the Latino markets out here in So. Cal.

Although scents are pretty personal, I'll still recomend this one highly, I think few of you will dislike it.

John in Covina

Agua Lavanda Puig from Spain - A Sinatra Favorite

This is one of the clean and bright smelling after shaves
with some lavander by also spicy and not citrusy but almost.

the 6 oz you can find fo about $15-16 on line.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yep

Quell Lotion, and Acetone.

Actually, I don't use the hair stuff, as it oils or soils the hat. I go dry, a la natural.
The after shave? Well, warm water after the Mach 3 buzz and Edge shaving gel. Soft as a baby's butt.

Bebop

Practically Family
Dominica Bay Rum is one of my favorites along with Burma Shave lotion. I like the barber shop scent. Lavanda is also nice except a bit more perfume like than the other two. There was a cologne many years ago called Havana that my Dad used. It smelled like a box of top quality cigars. I loved it but I have not seen it in years. I have never used hair tonic. I was always afraid that it would ruin my hats.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Several

J. Peterman 1903 balm
St Johns Bay Rum
Royall Lyme
Yardley Gentleman
Burberry Weekend

PS: The smell of Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer is a summer favorite after a hard day working and an evening shower.
Also is a time travel agent back to Ft. Knox for some basic training

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
green papaya said:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522960/199577.htm#image_1

ClubmanHT.jpg

here are some old time classics! that they would have used during the golden era, fragrances like Lilac, bay rum, etc

by Pinaud Clubman

I use Pinaud Clubman aftershave. I like it because it smells good and has the classic look, even though the bottle is plastic, it still has that golden era look. I also like Stetson, original scent, and Drakkar Noir.

GG

Marty M.

Vendor
I smell you, I smell you not.

Royall Lyme and Royall Bayrum. I have been getting into the "Art of Shaving" products. I'm considering adding them to my store. Anyone currently useing them? Anybody have recomendation's about their product?
Thanks.
Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner