Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
About hair oil - I'm not a fan. I find that a bit of hair gel holds the hair without soiling hats or clothing. That's one modern invention I like a lot.:cheers1:

shamus

Suspended
Burts Bees Bay Rum...

I'm working on finding the best (for me) natural hair pomade.

I even made my own, but I'm still twiking it... Going the all natural route.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
MissTayva said:
One fragrance that absolutely drives me wild and smells very classic is Vetiver, by Guerlain. My husband has used it practically forever (long before I met him) and will use nothing else!

What I like about it so much is that it doesn't smell like all the 'other' men's fragrances. I think it is described as being a blend of leather, tobacco, bergamot, moss, lemon and vetiver (hence the name). It is very clean and fresh smelling.

Based on this recommendation, I tried a sniff at my local perfumery. What a wonderful aroma! Thank you for mentioning it, as I think I'm now going to have to pick up a bottle.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Using ZIZANIE since High School. Mom bought 1st bottle.

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/mf_items.html?cat=02552&cur_letter=z&item_type=&gender=M&gs_gen=m

I just checked the phone # below and got a Possible OOB. The Prop. was a bit my Senior and might have retired...Link ^above^ is good.

There is / was? a scent replicator in Manhattan; Essential Products Co., at 90 Water Street, just off Wall, (212 344-4288) who can whip up anything and at a very,very good price. A pint of parfum from this nose might cost less than 1/4 pint of cologne. They've been in business > 105 years. :drum:

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Ah, great scents all. Trumpers Spanish Leather is a favourite. Here are some more. Trumper's Eucris is PURE CLASS. A mans scent. Boys needn't apply. Brooks Brothers 1818 is another classic. I love it and so does SWMBO. Woods of Windsor and good old English Leather by Dana are two more. I say old chap, how about a thoroughly indecent amount of Port and some chocolates?

Todd

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gucci Pour Homme, vintage male scent at a reasonable cost.

Reminds of me of the very expensive fragrance, CREED (As worn by Winston and Bogie!) in the Tabarome and English Leather flavours. But as I cannot justify spending ?Ǭ£70 on a 70ml bottle, the next best thing, and it really holds its own, is Pour Homme by Gucci! (what a surprise, I know!!).
It's leathery, English saddlery, tobacco, smouldering turf fire, with a hit of Havanna cigar in the background, is the essence of vintage masculinity!
Took a few staged shots at home (should be getting paid by Gucci for all this!! haha).
Gucci002.jpg

Gucci003.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Does anyone wear Penhaligon's scents? The company was established in about 1870 by William Henry Penhaligon, who was a succesful barber in London. He developed his first fragrance, Hammam Bouquet, in 1872 and Blenheim Bouquet followed in 1902, by which time he had been appointed Barber and Perfumer to the Royal Court. Penhaligon's was awarded Royal Warrants by Queen Alexandra in 1903, the Duke of Edinburgh in 1956 and, most recently, the Prince of Wales in 1988. The company now has several stores in London, plus other stores dotted around the UK, and US stores in Las Vegas, New York (plus a concession in Saks fifth Avenue) and Costa Mesa.

They still make Hammam - described by the company thus:
Top Notes - Lavender, Bergamot
Middle Notes - Otto of Roses, Cedarwood, Orris, Jasmine
Base Notes - Musk, Amber, Sandalwood

and Blenheim -
Top Notes - Citrus, Lavender
Middle Notes - Aromatic Spices, Pine
Base Notes - Woody, Musk

But my favourite has a lovely mellow spiciness, and is the one I first bought from them. Known in the early 1980's as Eau de Portugal, renamed to Lords in the 1990's, and now renamed again to Douro, it was first introduced in 1910 -
Top Notes - Geranium, Lime, Lemon, Lavender, Mandarin, Basil
Middle Notes - Neroli, Muguet
Base Notes - Labdanum, Treemoss, Musk

For hints of leather try the recently introduced Endymion ("A fusion of citrus, spices, amber, leather, musk, black pepper and myrrh"), and the new Opus 1870 is also very nice ("Spiced black pepper with an accord of English clove rose amid warm woods and musk.")

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
SHARPETOYS said:
The cologne !! :)
Definitly the cologne- with Ralph Lauren's scents the cologne is "the real thing," while the after shave is not even in the same zone...and for some reason the spray seems to do the job best.....I have used Safari for years, but I use more Polo Green for my everyday scent- I am always amused that so many ladies seem to comment that they love the smell of thise two products on me- that reminds me, I should go check my supply of each ;)

Salv said:
Does anyone wear Penhaligon's scents? The company now has several stores in London, plus other stores dotted around the UK, and US stores in Las Vegas, New York (plus a concession in Saks fifth Avenue) and Costa Mesa.
Went to Costa Mesa, found that their items were priced in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" realm.

Alsmost the level of all of the national debts of the contenents of Africa & South America combined.

Salv

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Went to Costa Mesa, found that their items were priced in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" realm.

Alsmost the level of all of the national debts of the contenents of Africa & South America combined.

Ah ... sorry, John :eek: They're not too bad in the UK, and they have an outlet store near Oxford where the prices are lower. I hadn't checked on US prices.

Salv said:
Ah ... sorry, John :eek: They're not too bad in the UK, and they have an outlet store near Oxford where the prices are lower. I hadn't checked on US prices.
THe shopping mall that they are in is one of the high end, most stores rent per square foot is nearly that of a Rodeo Drive / Beverly Hills store. They can't be reasonable in any pricing there.

:cool:

J.B.

Practically Family
Salv said:
Does anyone wear Penhaligon's scents? The company was established in about 1870 by William Henry Penhaligon, who was a succesful barber in London. He developed his first fragrance, Hammam Bouquet, in 1872..............They still make Hammam - described by the company thus:
Top Notes - Lavender, Bergamot
Middle Notes - Otto of Roses, Cedarwood, Orris, Jasmine
Base Notes - Musk, Amber, Sandalwood.............

Incredible! One of my all-time favorites -- along with.......

PADDY said:
<Gucci Pour Homme, vintage male scent at a reasonable cost.>...the next best thing, and it really holds its own, is Pour Homme by Gucci! (what a surprise, I know!!).
It's leathery, English saddlery, tobacco, smouldering turf fire, with a hit of Havanna cigar in the background, is the essence of vintage masculinity!..............

...To me this one smells like standing in front of the Bostitch sharpening pencils in third grade! :cool: Mmmmmmmumff -- pencil shavings!!! Oh yeah!:whistling

Mike K.

One Too Many
Classic colognes &amp; aftershaves

Could anyone please offer some tips for the new guy in town? I would like to purchase some vintage cologne/aftershave but have no idea what was around in the 30s and 40s. I've heard that Bay Rum is an old standby, but there are many different makers (St. Johns, Dominica, Clubman, etc.). What's authentic? How about other brands?
Thank you kindly!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fragrances for men has been covered (see link).

That's why it is always worth using the search option first of all along the blue bar above to see if a subject has been covered in some form before. This one is still ongoing and has been covered in some considerable detail.

MENS VINTAGE FRAGRANCES

Hope that helps you on your way with the Lounge! :)

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Old no. 6

I don't wear cologne any longer, but when I did, I liked some of the Casswell and Massey scents. Old No. 6 was particularly enjoyable to someone who wanted to avoid an overpowering scent. I, also, enjoyed the aftershave that my barber used when I got a straight razor shave, but I have forgotten the name and he retired. The new barber doesn't give straight razor shaves. The health department doesn't like the thought of blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto