Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< age appropriate jackets >>>

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'll tell you one thing about being OLD,

You care a whole lot less about what is "appropriate". Words like those just loose their meaning. You know you don't have all "the time in the World" so you spend it worry free and guilt free. I've been young too. When you lived on both ends you do see things differently.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Not age-appropriate?
Fortunately, that's always in the eye of the beholder.
View attachment 399064

View attachment 399065 View attachment 399066 View attachment 399067

Let this age-inappropriate guy help enable you.
The last pic says...OWN IT
B

You’d never be able to convince my grandkids that their 64 year old Papa who still rides, doesn’t still got “IT”:cool:
View attachment 399086 View attachment 399087

Keep on Keeping on my Old Friends, you all wear it well and probably always have, nothing new. Just who you are.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't even picture him wearing an A-2. lol.

Ok, here it is good or bad :)

William Gibson Buzz Rickson

upload_2022-1-30_22-23-44.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Ok, here´s my take:

What we perceive as appropriate is not dependend on age per se: A 50 year old guy (like myself) these days listens to vastly different music, dresses vastly different, acts vastly different than a 50 year old guy in the 1970´s or 1980´s.
For me, leather jacket, jeans, Rock Music have been cool (in terms of a "common" social evaluation) ever since I was born. For my father, all this would have appeared grossly inappropriate when he was young. I guess we never really shake that off (plenty exceptions to this rule here, but I don´t believe for a second that TFL is representative in that regard).

I said earlier that I don´t see many young folks rocking leather jackets any more. I guess that´s much the same phenomenon. For them, it´s an old people´s thing now.

So really, leather jackets are age-approriate ONLY if you´re pretty old.

And these are my submissions...:)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Ok, here´s my take:

What we perceive as appropriate is not dependend on age per se: A 50 year old guy (like myself) these days listens to vastly different music, dresses vastly different, acts vastly different than a 50 year old guy in the 1970´s or 1980´s.
For me, leather jacket, jeans, Rock Music have been cool (in terms of a "common" social evaluation) ever since I was born. For my father, all this would have appeared grossly inappropriate when he was young. I guess we never really shake that off (plenty exceptions to this rule here, but I don´t believe for a second that TFL is representative in that regard).

I said earlier that I don´t see many young folks rocking leather jackets any more. I guess that´s much the same phenomenon. For them, it´s an old people´s thing now.

So really, leather jackets are age-approriate ONLY if you´re pretty old.

And these are my submissions...:)

Agreed, and hopefully I’ve only reached the half life so plenty more to come.

Edward

Bartender
"Smoke em if you got em!" Style's about the last thing on my mind. Puddin' says "I have one" but it's not a "deliberate" thing. In other words I don't go looking for clothing to match a particular "look" I have in mind. I like what I like and I wear it, long as it fits comfortably or keeps me from freezing to death!

image1%208_zpsxpemgixu.jpg

Worf

Worf, you're always cool as all hell. Charisma, that's what it is.

I wore peacoats from school to university, then got into longer coats exclusively. Then, years later, I watched Escape From Alcatraz again, and there was something just so ridiculously cool about the way Eastwood carried that peacoat - over and above every other guy on the prison yard set that made him look cool as all hell. Same effect as in a roomful of black tie, there's always one guy who wears the same thing as everybody else, but it just wearing it so much better. It's ALL charisma born of confidence.

I've lived in NYC most of my life, I've seen guys wear gorilla costumes, tutu's and everything in between. One of the things that always stood out to me about individual style is if you wear it with confidence you are never wrong. I think a guy rockin a second skin broken-in leather jacket is age appropriate up to your last minute. No regrets, no looking back.

Yip. There are situations when it's appropriate to take other people's opinions into account (turn up in leather and denim at *most* weddings and the bride sure won't thank you...) BUT for the most part, all else being equal, dress for yourself and not others and you'll typically look much better than something in which you are not comfortable.

As long as you wear your stuff, and it doesn’t wear you, I don’t think „appropriate“ becomes an issue.

Just as a side note: I actually don’t notice many sub-30 folks wearing leather jackets these days.

I see that among my students. In my own student days those of us in leather were a minority, but even so we still had more of us than now - I think in the last five years I've had maybe one student regularly wear a leather to class (a long-haired, metal kid - a relative rarity in a law department, normally with so much pressure on now to do work shadowing and vacation schemes for their CV, most of the individuality has been beaten out of them by the time I teach the final years and postgrads. That may change now most of the big law firms have abandoned professional dress codes and gone casual in the offices, something that pre-dated the pandemic). Course they wouldn't be affording the kind of stuff we like here at that stage, but there were always alternatives, charity shop and vintage store bargains... In my day, the grunge and then Britpop kids all wore 70s leathers, blazer and safari/Norfolk styles, usually cost around £20. Not nothing then, but realistic for a day's pay from the Saturday job...

If you look in the mirror and feel comfortable, that's fine. For the most part, it's a confidence thing. If you feel self-conscious wearing anything, then it'll look awkward. I have a cordovan Bootlegger and a Board Racer and I love wearing, but conversely I cannot rock a biker jacket and never have.

It's all confidence and comfort born thereof...

As, yeah. I mean if Keef can look cool here with his shirt in that state and those shoes..... (though I doubt even he could get away with Crocs.... ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24