Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aging

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
Hello dolls~

Long time no see! Frankly I've had quite a crummy 6 months, lots of family drama and other issues. Certainly no time for vintage. But I have missed you!!
(Kevin, Nova, and I are hunky dorie tho!)

One thing that has been heavy on my mind is that I feel I have really aged in the last year. And I'm beginning to think I look ridiculous in my vintage garb. (Not just vintage, but my costuming passion too.) I put on one of my Scarlett O'Hara gowns and think, who are you trying to kid?

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm 37. I'm getting saggy eyelids. Crows feet. Jowls.

Will I be dressing this way when I'm 60? When is it time to let go?

I wish shorter, modern cuts "went" with vintage dresses. I've been inticed by a cute short haircut for months, but am just not ready. Being a hairdresser makes it harder!
I cut my shoulder length hair recently and HATE it. It needs to be SHORT or LONG, not in between. I also went brunette and HATED that too. The red is coming back.

Thoughts about aging and vintage?

I've noticed a lot of women here go for a more elegant, timeless look around age 37. I did. I stopped wearing the miniskirts while I still had the legs for them; if I'd had ruffly clothes, I'd have given them to Goodwill. The clothes still fit, but they didn't represent me anymore. I didn't get rid of any pastel clothes, though, since they look good with my coloring.

I don't know how you look in your vintage garb, but if you feel ridiculous, you should stop wearing it.

As for sagging, I find that when my face gets jowly and saggy, it's because I've put on weight. Taking off ten pounds or so (I guess--I don't have a scale) makes my face look firmer and younger.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm 37. I'm getting saggy eyelids. Crows feet. Jowls.

Will I be dressing this way when I'm 60? When is it time to let go?

Thoughts about aging and vintage?

Hey there ohairas! Nice to see you back on here :)

I'm still in my "spring chicken" phase, but I've wondered how I'll adapt my look when I age. There are so many ladies on here of an (ahem :rolleyes:) particular age that are smashing in their vintage looks - just look at LizzieMaine and Inky. Ergo, I see no reason to be worried.

As for you, I've visited your blog - You are a very attractive woman! I see none of these jowels or sagging eyes that you speak of. Even if I did, I doubt my opinion would change. Thirty-seven is still young, so stay confident!

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Aging? No More vintage? No way!

As Miss 1929 said, we have discovered ourselves and we feel lovely in vintage. It is likely the stress. Primp pamper yourself. Start using nice creams on your face. Realize that you will feel better. We all go through those down periods. It has nothing to do with what other people feel you should do. I feel like myself, sometimes old, sometimes young and whatever when I wear vintage. Also remember we are all getting older. Clearly the alternative of not getting older would not nearly be as much fun. So call up your girlfriends, put on something you feel pretty in and hit a vintage hotel or bar. Your not Mrs Skeffington. There is so much ahead you might as well face it with your hair up, your lips on and your seams straight!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Originally Posted by V-Sweetheart
There is so much ahead you might as well face it with your hair up, your lips on and your seams straight!
Miss 1929 said:
WORDS TO LIVE BY!

I agree!! Thanks!:eusa_clap

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Hi ya Nikki *hugs*
On the topic of having gone dark...
It seems to be that alot of us gals who like to be red heads have opted to go darker for a moment. Even another lady I work with that usually goes shades of reds, after seeing me with the darker hair, decided to go darker too. I'm liking it for now, I can officially say I have been a blonde, brunette and a red head ;)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
When you think of the alternative, aging isn't so bad! Styles and tastes change - women in the 1930's got tired of the pin curls and slinky, biased cut dresses and eventually modified their hair and clothing, too. You mentioned some upheavals in your life and maybe that's the catalyst for feeling that what you loved in the past isn't working for you. It might sound cliched, but things will work out and you'll be drawn to what makes you feel comfortable and I'll bet you'll be fabulous. :)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Nikki - I agree with everybody do and wear what makes you feel good and happy.

I too have been under major stress (last week - all in one week I lost my job, my boy friend left me and my dad passed away). Virtually over night I changed my style from soft and flowery dresses to streamlined 1940's suits, heels, very defined eyebrows, highly polished hair, and make-up. Those other things in life I have no control over but what I wear and how I look I do. I will also add to this that I am 41 so I am passed the spring chicken phase in life but I am totally OK with that, I am happy with me the way that I am.

Brooksie

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
Hi Nikki - I agree with everybody do and wear what makes you feel good and happy.

I too have been under major stress (last week - all in one week I lost my job, my boy friend left me and my dad passed away). Virtually over night I changed my style from soft and flowery dresses to streamlined 1940's suits, heels, very defined eyebrows, highly polished hair, and make-up. Those other things in life I have no control over but what I wear and how I look I do. I will also add to this that I am 41 so I am passed the spring chicken phase in life but I am totally OK with that, I am happy with me the way that I am.

Brooksie

:eek: :cry: Oh Brooksie - now I feel bad for the things Im worrying about at the moment

The Shirt

Practically Family
Brooksie - My deepest condolences to you. I know what you are going thru may tend to leave you questioning yourself and your role in the world. Sometimes changing a look helps us thru. Biggest hugs to you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
I too have been under major stress (last week - all in one week I lost my job, my boy friend left me and my dad passed away). Brooksie

I'm sorry. :( I wish there were something I could say to make you feel better.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Brooksie said:
I too have been under major stress (last week - all in one week I lost my job, my boy friend left me and my dad passed away).

That's terrible :( My deepest condolences. You are obviously a very strong woman to be able to face the world, even on the internet. Keep holding on - Time heals all wounds.

Know your fellow Lounge Ladies are behind you!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm very sorry for your loss Brooksie~ and for your other issues.
You lost your job? Aren't you a stylist?

Business has been horrible for me, that's one thing on my list as well. I'm basically unemployed most weeks, as I still have to pay rent weather I'm "working" or not.

All of the stress is one reason I cut my hair off, I was loosing so much of it from everything going on.

This too, shall pass~ eh?! :eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Brooksie said:

Brooksie

That's an awful lot to have happen at once. I hope you have a good network to support you emotionally and I'm sorry I can't think of anything to change your situation right now.

I too have had all the same thoughts and both the latest trends and very vintage looking styles make me feel equally rediculous. As if it wasn't hard enough to find my own style in my teens and twenties, I'm certainly not finding it easier in my 30s and I'm only 32. I don't know what I'll do five years from now. It wasn't at 30 I saw the big changes, but at 31. Isn't that just typical?! There's clothes I bought just two years ago that suited my taste in my late 20s but I already feel that they don't represent me anymore so though they're in good order and still fit, they're going!

As far as hair goes, long hair that's in an updo looks best on me. Can't do medium, long loose doesn't look right anymore and short isn't right yet and who knows if I'll ever go short. It depends on how my hair ages. I've been itching for a crop but that's probably just stress, frustration and feeling a lack of control over circumstances, at least I want control over how I look. So I've been resisting the scissors because I know it won't solve my larger problems and I may just a cut if it just keeps reminding me of all the stuff that's happened and of chronic problems in my life.

You need to go with what feels right for you. Someone else might disagree with what suits me but ultimately I'm the one who has to live with it most of the time!

My skin also changed this year from super greasy to nearly normal and even with occassional red, dry spots. Still have some blackheads on my cheeks so a crop is actually out of question!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy