Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Air-Camping"

Mav

A-List Customer

matei

One Too Many
Interesting thread... I'm looking at getting a roof-top tent as well, I like the ones that fold outwards, but due to the roof rack on our Defender our options are limited to "pop up" type tents, like the Maggiolina.

I saw an amazing variety of roof top tents and trailers at the LRO show in Billing. Camping has certainly changed since I last went, about 20 years ago.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Diamondback said:
OT and a little late: Fletch, Google "Pietenpol Aircamper"--that very thing was one of the designer's marketing points back when they were first being built in the '30s.

I've always wondered about that name...did people really camp out of these planes? I recall that it's really quite a small plane, isn't it only one seat? Something that small doesn't seem very suitable for camping unless you travel really light!

IIRC, it's a two-seater with a tiny cargo-hold, maybe enough for a couple pup-tents and essentials. Bear in mind, camping back then was probably a lot less gear-intensive than modern Yuppie campers who have to bring everything in the Outward Bound, L.L. Bean and Land's End catalogs and then some... lol

Back then, I think campers knew a little more about living off the land, too.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
No apologies for double posting these awesome pics from a link sent to me by a fellow Swiss Army bus owner.

Ex - Swiss Army bus, Egypt 1992.

http://www.germanaircooled.com/swiss_army_bus.htm

Pyrimids.jpg

Road%20to%20Siwa2.jpg

tentopen.jpg

Road%20to%20Siwa3.jpg

Siwa1.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Baja Bug

Mike1973 said:
No apologies for double posting these awesome pics from a link sent to me by a fellow Swiss Army bus owner.

Ex - Swiss Army bus, Egypt 1992.
Siwa1.jpg
Oh great, you maid my eyes well up! I had a 71 Super Beetle that broke the crank back in 1999, still made it home! Unfortunately in a fit of madness I sold it! Regretted it every since. The two times I got stuck in the snow, I pushed my self out, try that with an Escalade. Now, thanks to your photos, I want a Baja Bug again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner