Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Air-Camping"

Mike1973

A-List Customer
After several years of searching I finally picked one of these up recently, a vintage 'Roof Top tent'. And they don't get much more vintage than the Italian 'Air-Camping' model. Introduced in the late '50's it was the first of it's kind, I guess the original 'roof tent'.

A pdf. file of their promotional brochure can be downloaded from here -
http://www.air-camping.it/

Ours was bought from the son-in-law of the original owner. (An ebay bargain) They bought it in '67 and used it for holidays in Portugal. Even better, they even used it on a VW camper! (among other makes, the photo below is a Ford Thames van, Lisbon 1967)

4610279812_a064d60808.jpg

We've used it a couple of times now, and it's proved a big hit.

4676751632_5caf7b559c.jpg

4659432386_4be99eefd3.jpg

4676756406_dc69c9ae67.jpg

Our littl'un thinks it makes an excellent reading den
4659452412_e19de36d33.jpg

Packed away with a hastily made makeshift cover to keep out the elements.
4659405658_3f5961e7e2.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
I've seen these things, folded down on top of VW vans, and wondered what they were. Never seen one set up. Helluva good idea, and a good score- enjoy it.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
looks very nice, but I can't help thinking that the amount of drag that thing would generate would not have been an issue 50 years ago, however the way petrol costs are spiralling up today it could affect one's camping budget?

This is an issue for sure. Fuel is so expensive now, and I really don't know how much longer I can afford to drive the old thing :( (I guess the bigger picture is good for Mother Earth)

I always keep a note of how much fuel I put in and the mileage at each fuel stop, (out of necessity, our model is pre-fuel gauge) so I will be doing some sums soon. The roof tent will only be put on the Kombi when it's needed though, it doesn't 'live' on top. (Won't fit in the garage with it on)
So far I haven't noticed a steep a rise in fuel consumption though. The Kombi is by nature underpowered, low geared and slow. So if there is wind resistance, you don't put your foot down to maintain speed, you just drive slower... :rolleyes: My uneducated laymans theory is I'm paying for the roof tent in time, not petrol. Some Land Rover forums quote a rise of at least a fifth :eek: I'm hoping nowhere near that. I usually get 29mpg btw, motor is a recently rebuilt 1192cc 30hp.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Mav said:
I've seen these things, folded down on top of VW vans, and wondered what they were. Never seen one set up. Helluva good idea, and a good score- enjoy it.

Mav, I think they are more popular on vans than I first thought. I'm used to seeing them on Land Rovers, not VW's, but a few are coming out of the woodwork now.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
There are several varieties. We put a South African-made Eezi-Awn on the Montero about four years ago and have used it all over the American west and as a portable hotel at the race tracks. It has proved warm inside during snowfall, dry during rainfall, and very sturdy in high winds. I only lose about 2 mpg with the tent fitted. The real problem is wind noise, and only really when heading into a desert gale. At about 65 mph you're at about the best possible balance of wind noise, fuel economy, and get-there-edness. It's mounted to the drip rails so you have to be a little careful off-roading. On long washboard tracks I have to take it easy lest the shaking of the tent tear the sheet metal. It's more of a precaution than a real worry. I would heartily recommend the tent to anyone. It's not cheap, but you'll make it up in hotel rooms on the first vacation.

Here are some pics of it deployed and stowed.

DSC_0002.jpg

In Utah's Cathedral Valley.

IMG_2539.jpg

In Oregon's Hell's Canyon.

IMG_1954.jpg

With the changing room/shower stall fitted.

IMG_2452.jpg

Coming out of California's Saline Valley, we discovered this spectacular view of the east face of the Sierra Nevada.

IMG_1995.jpg

In the Orocopia Mountains. You can see why we've nicknamed it "the LEM."

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Beautiful pictures StraightEight and Mike1973 (especially that night one). I've seen a few of those packed away on suv's traveling up and down I-95 while I was on my own excursion, and have wondered about the setup of the tents. Would've been great on camping trips I took out west in the spring and summer time.

Question for any/either of you - Has anyone rolled out of them whilest sleeping?

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Jennifer Lynn said:
Question for any/either of you - Has anyone rolled out of them whilest sleeping?

I don't think you'd live to tell the tale. Actually, it's pretty much impossible. Even if you leave both the canvas and the mosquito netting tied up, the openings are at your head and feet, so you'd have to do some pretty vigorous rolling to fall out, and you don't generally do that kind of rolling, at least, not while you're asleep!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that answer StraightEight. I figured there were safety measures on the tent but asked anyway. I've had experience falling out of a bed that was high up (and yep, I was sleeping). :rolleyes: lol

Zaxxon

New in Town
You see these kind of tents a lot in north Afrika. Desert drivers love them because the sand goes through beneath them and you can easily camp on any rocky surface.

Here's mine:
259.jpg

Zaxxon

Warden

One Too Many
I say Mike, I love your air tent. I see you are in Sothampton, with a van and tent like that you do need to visit the festival Vintage at Goodwood,

Your air tent would be the camping star of the show

Toodle Pip

Harry

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Straight Eight, I was tempted by several Eazi-Awns, they looked perfect for our old Kombi. In fact the weekend before I got the Air-Camping I had bid on an old canvas one that needed some TLC, but I was the underbidder, with what I thought was a generous bid.
Zaxxon, yours looks very similar, what is the make?

They both look superb in those wilderness environments!

Warden, I'm on the Goodwood Vintage mailing list, and am seriously tempted... But also seriously confused by the pricing structure

"Pitch for vintage caravan or campervan - £150 for the weekend"

I think for the £150 you can have up to four adults, but then there is the £135 general weekend admission on top of that? Surely not... By my calculations that is £420 for a weekends camping for me and the missus... :rage: I didn't get a beat up old bus to pay those sort of prices ...

http://www.vintageatgoodwood.com/staying/vintageandstandardcaravansites.aspx

"Now we know what you are thinking… what do I get for parting with this hard earned cash? Well, in both of the caravan and campervan areas we have paid extra special attention to detail and have the very best of facilities in place. In the Vintage area you are closest to the action and have great access to posh loos and showers as well as having a dedicated concierge to assist with all your enquiries and whims."

Zaxxon

New in Town
Mike, its an AutoCamp made of canvas and quite old too. The company still exists and builds them the same way though. They are close to Munich, the URL is www.autocamp.de if somebody is interested.
I was very happy with this tent, bought it used and sold it after years of use for nearly the same money.

Zaxxon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner