Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air racing in the golden era

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Czech Mate

Here are some more photos of Czech Mate as it looks today! You can see why many call it a modern day Gee Bee! The propeller is a Bearcat hub with cut down Skyraider blades. The stock Skyraider prop was 13.5 feet in diameter, even cut back, and with the oleo struts locked in the full extended position, only the tires give spring, there is only a 6 inch clearance, necessitating a three point take of and landing!
15195940.jpg
Yak-11_Czech_Mate.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Welcome aboard! Grosvenor House is a nice first post.

The DH 88 made second place in the race look a little stodgy.

I was looking at a Mossie fuselage under restoration recently. The layered wood construction work was amazing. Must have been a cramped cockpit.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I love this thread! Twenty years ago I started my fascination with flight, built many models of these great planes back when models were balsa and tissue paper with rubber band power. Back when you really needed to understand the mechanics of flight and aerodynamics to build and fly, now it's all RTF molded foam and plastic. I miss the old days.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I saw Roscoe Turner's Meteor at Silver Hill/Garber when they were recovering the airframe in '75, I wish I had asked for a little clipping of the old fabric.

I did get to pet Stuffed Gilmore then......It's a shame his all gold Wedell Williams racer isn't next to the Meteor.

Getting to go through the Garber Museum back then was something else.

Last edited:

Jupiter

New in Town
image.jpeg
Anybody seen this yet? It's a 10" x 14" porcelain-on-metal Gee Bee Z sign... I still have a few of them left from a project I worked on a couple of years ago. They are listed over on everyone's favorite auction site.

Whoever's in charge of this joint, if I have overstepped my bounds by posting this, please delete! I tried to figure out if this posting was allowed, but couldn't find an answer. Apologies if I've offended anyone.

Jupiter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner