Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air racing in the golden era

Talbot

One Too Many
Air racing was pivotal to the development of aeronautical technology in the years between the wars.

I have always seen this as the pinnacle of know how and daring. Some of these people designed and built thier own planes and then had to scrounge gas money to race. After WWII it was never the same.

1932_Program_sm.jpg

E209th20Cle20Trust20.jpg

3120Mystery20Adj20.jpg

Doolittle20Hawk20.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, we had a discussion about the great races going from a modeler's perspective over at the forum for a cardmodel-designer I do some business with. I'll see if I can find the link--most of the discussion was my research and what was missing from the Fiddler's Green catalog.

My favorite air racer is, without a doubt, the Supermarine S.6B, winner of the 1931 Scheider Trophy Race.

300px-Supermarine_S.6A_N248.JPG

And probably one of the best books on air racing, in my opinion is The Speed Seekers by Thomas G. Foxworth (New York: Doubleday & Company, 1974)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
1924 Schneider Cup

My favorite air racer is, without a doubt, the Supermarine S.6B, winner of the 1931 Scheider Trophy Race.

300px-Supermarine_S.6A_N248.JPG

Double edge sword on that one for us Yanks! On the one hand, one of the most beautiful planes ever. On the other, if we had just flown the 1924 Schneider solo like you, the trophy would have been ours in 1925, and a lot of great planes would have never seen the light of day!

Talbot

One Too Many
The Schneider entries were some of the most beautiful aircraft ever made.

I have a soft spot for the privateering spirit of the US races though. I often wonder what would happen today if a private company developed an aircraft that outperformed the best the military had to offer.

I think that why I like the Travel Air Type R "Mystery Ships" so much.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yak R2800

Not really a Golden era race plane, but, as many said when it made it's debut on the Reno ramp in 1987, you could picture Rosco Turner sauntering out to it at Cleveland! It's a Yak 11 powered by a Pratt & Whitney R2800 engine, first raced and built by the late Bob Yancey! Thats 45.88 Liters, and producing over 3000HP. The original Yak 11 had a Shvetsov ASh-21 9 cylinder air cooled engine producing 700HP. When the new owners purchased it, the pilot could not believe any one could fly it! It took full left rudder, and full up aileron trim to stay in the air around the pylons. They have since put a larger tail on the bird, which makes it much easier to race. The plane has come in third twice, not bad for a little trainer!

YakR2800-1.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
The Gee Bee

Very surprised the (in)famous Gee Bee hasn't been mentioned yet!

Their planes were nicknamed "The Widowmaker". etc., etc., and they had several setbacks, but had a great award winning career.

I became fascinated with the Granville Brothers racers and the golden age of air racing in general after reading "The Rocketeer" comic books and seeing the movie in 1990. I love the streamlined design and thoughtful innovations of the 1930s. Air racing of that time is so full of that spirit, coupled with death defying feats of aerial bravery.

The Rocketeer movie featured a replica of the Gee Bee model Z built by Bill Turner, now retired to the museum of flight. Here is a pic of the orginal Z:

Granvill-Brothers-Gee-Bee-Z_P1.jpg

In 1994 my family and I flew on a chartered DC-3 to the EAA's Oshkosh Airshow to meet Delmar Benjamin and see his Gee Bee model R2 replica fly. What an incredible experience, Delmar was such a nice person.
His R2 racer has also since been placed on display in a museum, wish I could see it fly again.

2328170104_4686f6fea9_z.jpg

Me and the Gee Bee R2 at Oshkosh in 1994

[video=youtube;s79LcCCszRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79LcCCszRQ[/video]
Not my video, or same location, but this video gives the basics of the show I saw Delmar perform in 1994.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Z For Zinger

Love the Gee Bees! The Z is my favorite, Turner's has a revised airfoil, longer and more forgiving. Kermit Weeks has a spot on replica, he hired some engineers to sort it out, they discovered aileron flutter, so they are going to put two mass balancers under each aileron. That is probably the real reason for Lowell R. Bayles demise in the Z!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I think the model R Gee Bee's reputation was due to the other pilots not handling the aircraft properly, the way Jimmy Doolittle had.
The Cecil Allen R-1/R-2 hybrid was not even allowed to carry the Granville Bros. logo and name after it was rebuilt without the Granville Bros. sanction.

The Gee Bee QED El Conquistador del Cielo survives in Durango Mexico.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
There's a special place in my heart for those Gee Bees too, the Z especially.

The Granville Brothers' Model Z and R took the art of streamlining as far as it could go with the motors available, but it made the planes very tricky to fly - those little buggers stalled at 100mph!

Bayles was a great pilot and understood the Gee Bees and their touchy behavior quite well, before the mishap.
The team had just upgraded the Model Z with a larger, higher horsepower engine to make an attempt at the World Land Speed Record and underestimated the extra strain it would put on the wings.

As Bayles made a speed run in front of the cameras at Wayne County Airport in 1931, one of the wings snapped off, causing the plane to rapidly spin and fall to earth. :( So sad to watch the newsreel of the crash, it breaks my heart every time I see it.

(video webpage link below: press the red play button).
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675046366_Pursuit-Airplanes_Pilot-Lowell-Bayles_Gee-Bee-Racer-airplane_hits-ground-and-explodes

Makes me want to invent a time machine to go back and stop Bayles from flying that day.

I remember there was also a theory that the accident was caused when the gas cap came loose and flew back through the windshield, hitting Bayles in the face. Did they really ever pin a definite cause on that crash?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner