Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

airshow spitfire

DNO

One Too Many
Just had a Spitfire circling over my house for the past 5 minutes, waiting to make his appearance at the CNE airshow. Lookied like a Mk. IX but I could be wrong.

That's nothing, certainly, to the upcoming flight of almost 50 Spitfires and Hurricanes in England, but pretty exciting nonetheless!

pawineguy

One Too Many
Just had a Spitfire circling over my house for the past 5 minutes, waiting to make his appearance at the CNE airshow. Lookied like a Mk. IX but I could be wrong.

That's nothing, certainly, to the upcoming flight of almost 50 Spitfires and Hurricanes in England, but pretty exciting nonetheless!

That's fantastic, I'd take the one as a nice consolation. I'm hoping that there will be some very high quality audio and sound from the big event coming up.

DNO

One Too Many
I live on the flight path for Toronto's Island airport, so I hear a lot of light planes. That Spitfire, like the Harvards that flew over yesterday, make a distinctly different sound. Can't image what 50 of them will sound like!

pawineguy

One Too Many
I live on the flight path for Toronto's Island airport, so I hear a lot of light planes. That Spitfire, like the Harvards that flew over yesterday, make a distinctly different sound. Can't image what 50 of them will sound like!

A base near me recently closed down, and the final squadron that flew from there was comprised of A-10s, which would fly low over the area pretty regularly. I greatly miss hearing them.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Went to the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends in OH back in '07, somewhere around 100 Mustangs, plus many, many other vintage and modern war birds. That was an incredible sound! Could you imagine a 1000 of them flying over back in the war years???

B

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I think this is as close as any of us can get to hearing a 1000 plane raid! The sound of a Nightingale, and in the back ground, 197 Wellington and Lancaster bombers fly towards Germany. This must have been what people all over England heard on a nightly bases. Sends a chill down the spine. [video=youtube;H_MHqW5KVds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MHqW5KVds[/video]

DNO

One Too Many
The air museum in Hamilton has an airworthy Lancaster and it flies over every once in a while. You certainly know it's coming!

Warden

One Too Many
Chums on our latest Harry & Edna on the Wireless, the show was recorded at the IWM Duxford when we captured the sound of 17 Spitfires in the air at the same time.

We also interviewed WW2 Spitfire pilot Squadron Leader Ian Blair. The show is online so please do have a listen. (Click on the link below)

https://www.mixcloud.com/harryandedna/battle-of-britain-with-iwm-duxford/

20150919%2BIWM%2BBoB%2BDuxford%2BAirshow%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Last edited:

galopede

One of the Regulars
A bit newer than Spits and Lancasters but just as impressive. The last airworthy Vulcan bomber is doing a farewell tour of Britain before being grounded and it will be flying low over my local airport Sunday afternoon.

Vulcan flypast

I have been beneath one of these monsters flying over once before and the noise loosens the fillings in your teeth! I will be there!

Gareth

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I thought some of you might like to know, TCM is showing "The First of the Few" tonight! It's the story of R.J. Mitchell, and the development of the Spitfire.

Warden

One Too Many
Just a quickie, in this weeks Harry & Edna on the Wireless we play S/Ldr Blairs interview in full.

The show is online and you can hear it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy