Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Advice

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I can't remember , but Motorcyclist , Are you the guy with the pretty big Akubra Collection I saw ? Like 6 , I think , or more ?

Yeah, I'm only at 11 Akubras right now but still slowly growing the collection. I do have a Penman on order right now that I'm waiting on. So far I have yet to try one of the open crown Akubras but have been considering the Fed.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Someone wants to sell me what they claim is a brand new Cattleman in Bran for under $75 with no shipping. I have to check it out, but this may decide for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I'm only at 11 Akubras right now but still slowly growing the collection. I do have a Penman on order right now that I'm waiting on. So far I have yet to try one of the open crown Akubras but have been considering the Fed.

Yeah , The Fed IV , or Camp Draft , Bushman , ... Sombrero ... ;) , or Woomera . Even the Squatter , or a few more . Feeding your AHAD ... haha !

Eliesti , That sounds like a Good Deal , and I like the color Bran !

Last edited:

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Whelp, it turns out the good deal on the bran Cattleman was too good to be true. I was purchasing it from someone on Craigslist. We negotiated a deal and agreed on a price but when it came time for him to meet me to do the exchange, he completely flaked and lost all communication. I guess I'm back to deciding on a color.

I'm really kind of annoyed. I can't stand people who are not honest in their dealings.

Last edited:
Whelp, it turns out the good deal on the bran Cattleman was too good to be true. I was purchasing it from someone on Craigslist. We negotiated a deal and agreed on a price but when it came time for him to meet me to do the exchange, he completely flaked and lost all communication. I guess I'm back to deciding on a color.

I'm really kind of annoyed. I can't stand people who are not honest in their dealings.

I have sold hats on Craigs but not bought, have used it extensively for bike parts and while there are many great sellers on Craigs I have come across a fair number of flakes that can make the experience troubling.

ryan_289

Familiar Face
Hi guys. I want to ask your help in deciding on a new hat. Mostly just for puttering around outside on the farm and also the occasional bird hunt. Ive got an older Federation but im looking to get away from the Indy comments. I do like the hat however and am considering a Tawny or Heritage fawn in the Federation IV with a diamond bash. I snapped a pic in the shop of my current hat. Im 5' 10" around 200 lbs with a roundish face. Does this hat work for my or do I need to look at something different?

ryan_289

Familiar Face
You could do the Carbon Grey color, which looks tough but keeps the hat from suggesting the Raiders style. It's a dark dark gray that looks almost black in low light.
I had that color or the fawn color in mind. My wife chose the fawn over the gray.

I also showed her pictures of the campdraft this weekend as well. She didnt like it but I think it had more to do with the fact that the small ribbon makes it look taller.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Silverbelly Camp Draft. Goes with a lot and nothing like an Indy hat. Cheap too
Agreed. My SB Royal De Luxe Stetson, an OR/Stratoliner without the name tag, is the one hat I have which goes with almost anything -- leather jacket, corduroy shirt, and jeans, or sport jacket, dress shirt, slacks, and long black topcoat.

tommyK

One Too Many
And I second Benzadmiral's suggestion of a Stetson Open Road. I prefer the vintage to modern when you can find a nice one as the felt is better than the modern ones

My Royal DeLuxe is one of my go-to rain hats
5abe40a4-ce50-4342-b2cf-dc5aad6d999a_zps9wbarmtp.jpg

Last edited:

drcube01

New in Town
I'd assume a tawny fawn Fed will still get you some Indy comments, being brown. I suggest moonstone. I just recently got my moonstone Fed IV and while I never got Indiana Jones comments with my tawny fawn, it just feels more "professional" and less "adventure-y". Though I suppose then you have to worry about the Inspector Gadget comments.

Frankly, I'd respond to those comments with "Yeah, Indy/Gadget/Bogie/etc's hat looked pretty great, too, didn't it?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy