Akubra Angler arrived uncomfortable. So I modified it!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Cheshire-Cat, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Cheshire-Cat

Cheshire-Cat New in Town

I was able to modify my Akubra Angler hat after discovering it would have costed over $100 to ship back to Australia. Now I will keep it! I had to modify it in 3 ways.

So the hat was fitting too round (pressing front and back and loose on the sides), and I was able to correct this with a hat stretcher. The leather fits great, now! The hat stretcher had an immediate effect.

The top of the crown wasn't roomy enough and felt like it was pressing on me. I steamed it and reshaped it slightly so the top is about a cm above my crown now. Feels roomy like my Cattleman, but nobody would guess it didn't come this way. Now we are finally comfortable!

The brim was always too flat. The side edges had a slight curl but really had no style. It needed something. And I'm a fan of the aussie style of folding down in the front and back, so I used the steamer for that look. I may go back and do it more.

Now I have a hat that is comfortable and looks cool. Glad I couldn't return it, after all! The slight effort I put into it gave me an Akubra Angler hat with a custom look about it that I'm proud of!
    KIMG0398.JPG

2. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

It’s good to see everything worked out for the best. Really looks good on you. I always found the first walk in the rain really softened things up and helped conform the hat to my head. Hope you get years of use out of it.
    Johnny

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  3. tsores

tsores Familiar Face

Please show a pic of the crown. Both before and after modifying, if available.

Thanks.

4. Cheshire-Cat

Cheshire-Cat New in Town

I don't have any before pics, but here are my after pics. You can see I was able to maintain a low profile, but it does look a little different. Maybe you can find some stock photos to compare.

Edit: This site has a good stock image of the crown, to compare.
    https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/akubra-angler-loden.html

What's cool is that it hardened afterwards, as if I bought it that way.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    johnnycanuck likes this.
  5. G MAN

G MAN One of the Regulars

Here is my Angler for a comparison.
    IMG_0369.JPG

6. tuco1963

tuco1963 One of the Regulars

enjoy your hat looks good on ya

7. Cheshire-Cat

Cheshire-Cat New in Town

Gracias!