Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
What we forget gentlemen is that Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere and on opposite seasons from most of us. They Close down in the summer and for the Christmas Holidays due to the heat in the factory. Even Stetson (much to the chagrin of my local retailer) closes down for most of December. So as we head into Winter they are getting ready for the summer shutdown.

Jeff

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Did anybody ever do his Campdraft in a cattleman's or side dent crease with a snap brim? It was mentioned earlier on this thread.

I like this: http://www.millerhats.com/borsalino_hats/borsalinohats8.html But you could take a Glen Grey Campdraft (which I suspect is a little darker in color), bash it like the Taranto, have Akubra quality, and keep about $160 in your pocket. So I wonder if a Campdraft would take such a bash, and look good that way. Anybody done it?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Did anybody ever do his Campdraft in a cattleman's or side dent crease with a snap brim? It was mentioned earlier on this thread.

I like this: http://www.millerhats.com/borsalino_hats/borsalinohats8.html But you could take a Glen Grey Campdraft (which I suspect is a little darker in color), bash it like the Taranto, have Akubra quality, and keep about $160 in your pocket. So I wonder if a Campdraft would take such a bash, and look good that way. Anybody done it?

It's a tall open crowned hat and as such, the creases available are really limitless!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
The Campdraft felt and the Alessandria felt is wildly different. The Camdraft can be creased using the Cattleman/Alpine crease if you like. Akubra is OK but there's a reason I only bought one of those and I have two Alessandrias and would easily buy more.

Tom

EggHead

Practically Family
I would not buy a used "vintage" or new hat for much more than what I would pay for an Akubra. Except for custom 100% beaver hats.
Well, almost never.

RBH

Bartender
Thought I should add my new BG Campdraft to this thread.

002cyg.jpg

bobm

A-List Customer
OK, here are the pictures -

34i3igj.jpg

16liucw.jpg

15d6ywj.jpg

EG...and Others,

Very nice looking hat. In first and third pics, it has a beige tint to it, in the middle pic, it looks greyish. I too, prefer a narrower brim; perhaps it is because I am on the sort side -5' 7" and just feel that the wider brims look great those with larger frames and/or wider faces. I also have a more oval shaped face and the narrow (not stingy) brims and somewhat lower crowns suit me way better. I had an Allessandria that with it's tall, blocky crown made me appear even shorter - which is why in the 20+ years I owned it, I wore it less less a dozen times or so. Sold it a half year ago. But when I see some others here wearing one, they do look sharp, really sharp. I just got a Akrubra Banjo Patterson with the 2.5" brim as a gift, but really isn't my cup of tea, as I don't like the Aussie down-turned brim on me, and is up for sale, but again, on others I think it looks great.
I have a taupe Borsalino Lido, which is wonderful, but is to nice/fine/delicate to wear in the elements. You - and others have me considering the CD though as my go to hat. With my olive complexion, just considering the colors, but that silverbelly does look sharp.

Good luck with your hat>

Bob

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Found a deal to good to pass up ! I just got notice of my Campdraft being shipped ! I have gotten it from a member here and should have some pics by next week. It's a Mid-Brown which is an Akubra color I like alot ( I have a Stylemaster in it) and will probably recrease it in the traditional Cattleman's crease ala the OR style it is. ( I've always seen OR's in the Cattlemans crease since I was a little kid back in the 50's) with the front snapped down as my father wore his. Here's the sellers pics as it is now:

akubra-1.jpg

akubra-2.jpg

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Found a deal to good to pass up ! I just got notice of my Campdraft being shipped ! I have gotten it from a member here and should have some pics by next week. It's a Mid-Brown which is an Akubra color I like alot ( I have a Stylemaster in it) and will probably recrease it in the traditional Cattleman's crease ala the OR style it is. ( I've always seen OR's in the Cattlemans crease since I was a little kid back in the 50's) with the front snapped down as my father wore his. Here's the sellers pics as it is now:

QUOTE]

Congratulations! You finally got a Campdraft - and didn't have to go through your "dreaded" ten-day to three month wait from OZ.

You will like the CD, it is very versatile. The Mid-Brown and Glen Grey are the only colors I do not have in this style. Now you will want a Silverbelly!

And when you rebash I know you will get rid of that brim curl! (Never saw that on a CD)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

QUOTE]

Congratulations! You finally got a Campdraft - and didn't have to go through your "dreaded" ten-day to three month wait from OZ.

You will like the CD, it is very versatile. The Mid-Brown and Glen Grey are the only colors I do not have in this style. Now you will want a Silverbelly!

And when you rebash I know you will get rid of that brim curl! (Never saw that on a CD)

I'm sure I will. It will be my 9th Akubra and I've worn 'em for 30+ years now :) And you bet I'll loose the curled brim!! I'm not a big fan of teardrop creases or 1950's style curl brims :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24