Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So... what's the difference between "Camp Draft" and "Campdraft"? One of my Campdrafts says "Campdraft" on the sweat, the other Camp Drafts say "Camp Draft".
How it's written. It's the SAME model just a series of sweats were imprinted with it as two words not one. Don't know why but maybe an e-mail to the factory or one of the OZ retailers could explain it better. :)

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I understand they are all the same hat. I'm just wondering if there is a difference between "Campdraft" and "Camp Draft" as it relates to it's proper meaning. BTW - which spelling is correct - "Campdraft" or "Camp Draft"?

RBH

Bartender
CAMPDRAFTING
Campdrafting involves a mounted rider riding into a “camp” (corral or yard) which has six to eight head of cattle in it. The rider (cuts out) one steer or heifer from the cattle in the camp and brings that beast to the front of the camp and block and turns that beast at least two or three times to prove to the judge that they have the beast under control. The rider then calls for the gates to be opened. The cut out is worth a total of 26 points. The rider then proceeds to ''draft'' (work) the beast around a figure of eight course in a larger arena.

Generally the course is set to the left and once the beast has gone around the left peg, it must then be drafted around a peg on the right. Once that is completed, the rider then guides the steer through the “gate” which is two pegs placed apart. Once gated, the campdraft is complete and the rider can be awarded up to a total of 100 points. Points are awarded for horsemanship and control of the beast…. within set time limits (usually 45-47 seconds).

DarthBish

Familiar Face
Got bored......rebashed and made a new hatband..

310523_10150295159137218_586302217_8083768_217989258_n.jpg

LOVIN' IT!!!!!!!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Campdraft is correct based on the Australian Campdraft Association = http://www.campdraft.com.au/
"Camp Draft" is just a misprint on the sweatbands IMHO.

Mine is two words ... just can't CAN'T be a typo!

I had a lady make a beaded hat band ... black and white, that is a copy of a photo I provided to her of a kid's Hoppy hat from the '50s ... I had one when I was a kid.

I found a great vintage Beaver western hat that I restored and blocked into a nearly perfect Hoppy shape and recently she finally got the finished beaded band to me.

I installed it on the hat and it looks like a million bucks.
Only problem"

It is spelled Hopalong Cassedy

I have a typo in my beaded band ... it should be Hopalong Cassidy

I didn't know what to do. Do I leave it that way? The only way to change it would be for the poor lady to tear a good chunk of the band apart.

I finally decided ... especially since it's not like I'm going to wear the hat on a regular basis or attend a Hoppy convention or something ... I decided I'd leave well enough alone.

Some of you already know I am a daily newspaper editor, and it appeals to me, somehow, to have a hat band with a typo in it, considering all the ones I've created in more than 30 years on the job.

Sam

Mine is two words ... just can't CAN'T be a typo!

All of my Imperial grade Campdrafts are 2 words = Camp Draft
The Heritage is 1 word = Campdraft Deluxe.

I think Akubra had a run of sweatbands made that were not set up correctly.

Akubras website along with Hats Direct & Everything Australian list the model as "Campdraft" The only place 2 words 'Camp Draft" show up is the Imperial CD sweatband.
Smells like typo me when doing the set up for the sweatband run....

EggHead

Practically Family
Please welcome me to the CD club. I just received a Silverbelly Imperial Camp Draft from EA. I requested a 2.5" brim - love it! Bash it in loose teardrop, looks like 6 point diamond, snapped the front brim down. I really like the crown height and straight sides.

To my pleasant surprise, it's has thin felt which makes it a light hat. I have other Imperials, there is one I am in to the left, but that one and another has felt which feels twice as thick.

With some steaming and watering it fit just right!

Duper

Practically Family
Welcome EggHead, they are very nice hats. My silver belly is due early November and I am hoping it arrives sooner. Maybe it will knock my blue grass CD out of top spot in my list of favorites. So you were able to get a smaller brim. Good for you! Makes it evn more unique and special. Now where are the pictures?

EggHead

Practically Family
I believe the factory did it. I placed an order with EA and asked if Akubra could make a CD with 2.5" brim.
EA said that they will forward my request to the factory.

Sorry about the pictures, I have been extremely busy with my job lately, it's one of those positions where when things run smoothly, no one mentions my name, but when not, I get the spotlight!

Yes, the brim is bound.

hubbit

New in Town
I believe the factory did it. I placed an order with EA and asked if Akubra could make a CD with 2.5" brim.
EA said that they will forward my request to the factory.

This is encouraging. I just sent an email to EA asking whether a CD could be had in mid brown, but with a 1.5" darker brown ribbon on the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana