Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Landman

One Too Many
cd_dry5_zpsa3bbfde3.jpg

Robert,

That's a cool picture of Monroe's band but this is the crease I was referring to. It is a Centerfire crease. John Wayne wore a hat with a similar crease in True Grit.

TPD166

One Too Many
I almost went with this one and also considered the center dent with no pinched front. I also came close to leaving the brim up. But I keep coming back to the cattleman and teardrop for my thin ribbons.

Robert,

That's a cool picture of Monroe's band but this is the crease I was referring to. It is a Centerfire crease. John Wayne wore a hat with a similar crease in True Grit.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That centerfire crease does look nice.
I believe I just bought a bluegrass CD... I'm not sure if I was dreaming, because my fingers were moving too fast! It will be my first akubra. The price at everythingaustralian.com just seemed too good to pass up. Why do I remember these costing quite a bit more?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They did cost a bit more last year. The US dollar is doing better against the Australian dollar this year. A few years back the US dollar was really strong and Akubra's like the campdraft could be had shipped to the USA in the 70-80 range but that only lasted for a short time.

Landman

One Too Many
Everything Australian is usually quite a bit cheaper too than Hatsdirect but normally you have to wait 3 months unless they have the hat in stock. Hatsdirect keeps most all their hats in stock.

I think you are going to really like the CD. The Bluegrass Green is a great color too.

Qvist

Familiar Face
Hello fellas.

I know this issue has been discussed before but I just need to get some reassurance.

I´m just about to order a Campdraft but I´m worrying about the sizing a bit. Should I order size 60 or 61? My head measures 60,2cm and I worry that 60 would be too tight and I believe that 61 would be just too big and would need heavy padding to fit. So what should I do, 60 or 61? I guess I could use my hat stretcher to stretch the 60 a bit larger if needed. I´m going to order the deluxe version in Heritage grade felt which should not shrink (or so they claim).

ManofKent

Hello fellas.

I know this issue has been discussed before but I just need to get some reassurance.

I´m just about to order a Campdraft but I´m worrying about the sizing a bit. Should I order size 60 or 61? My head measures 60,2cm and I worry that 60 would be too tight and I believe that 61 would be just too big and would need heavy padding to fit. So what should I do, 60 or 61? I guess I could use my hat stretcher to stretch the 60 a bit larger if needed. I´m going to order the deluxe version in Heritage grade felt which should not shrink (or so they claim).

I'm also 60.2 and find a 60 in the imperial felt absolutely fine for the Campdraft, but prefer the 61 in the FedIV (the 60 in the fed fits but it's quite snug).

I'm also 60.2 and find a 60 in the imperial felt absolutely fine for the Campdraft, but prefer the 61 in the FedIV (the 60 in the fed fits but it's quite snug).
Yep, Fed4's fit tighter than Campdrafts. Heritage & Imperial out of the box fit me the same but the Imperials seem to draw in more. I have 61's in both & the CD's go down to my ears until I crease & wear them.

Qvist

Familiar Face
Thank you for your advise. I asked the sales person of Hatsdirect to find me a hat that is little over 60 just in case and they selected a hat that measures a "large 60". Now I´ll just keep my fingers crossed that the hat fits.

Qvist

Familiar Face
After a couple of emails later with Trudi from Hatsdirect they finally selected a small 61 measuring 60,7cm for me. Talk about a great service! But it´s quite surprising how wide tolerances Akubra hats have. I mean they had a 60 that measured 60,2cm and a 61 that measured 60,7cm. Only 0,5cm between two sizes. Now I just hope that I measured my head correctly...

...Now I just hope that I measured my head correctly...
That is a bit of important information.

When I was looking into buying my first "real" hat five years ago I went online and researched the "best" method for determining my hat size. Although most of the methods were similar, if not the same, the one thing that seemed to vary was the suggested placement of the measuring tape; "Wrap it around your head here," "Wrap it around your head there," and so on. In the end I used the common sense approach--I wrapped a "tailor's tape" around my head where I'd want the sweatband to be when I was wearing the hat, then cinched it up to what I felt was comfortable; snug, but not too loose or too tight. I don't know if this is the "proper" way to measure your head, but it worked very well for me.

carranty

One of the Regulars
That is a bit of important information.

When I was looking into buying my first "real" hat five years ago I went online and researched the "best" method for determining my hat size. Although most of the methods were similar, if not the same, the one thing that seemed to vary was the suggested placement of the measuring tape; "Wrap it around your head here," "Wrap it around your head there," and so on. In the end I used the common sense approach--I wrapped a "tailor's tape" around my head where I'd want the sweatband to be when I was wearing the hat, then cinched it up to what I felt was comfortable; snug, but not too loose or too tight. I don't know if this is the "proper" way to measure your head, but it worked very well for me.

This was suggested by another member of this forum, but I'll repeat it here since I've found it to be very useful. I always found that finding just how tight or loose to hold the measuring tape against my head difficult.

To measure ones head size I recommend to do as Zombie suggests, wrap the tape around your head in the position the sweatband will sit and take a measurement. Note the measurement, place the measuring tape back down, get some sticky tape and stick the measuring tape together at the size you just recorded. E.g. if My head were 23" I would stick the measuring tape together so that it formed a loop of precisely 23" in circumference. Then put the tape on your head as you would a hat. If its too loose and slips down, below where you measured, take it apart, reduce it by 1/8" or so and try again, or if its too tight increase it a little. Keep doing this until it sits where you want it to on your head, with a tightness you are comfortable with. Then you have you're head measurement. I'd recommend you do this in a morning and at night (as your head size can vary slightly over the course of the day) and take the average of both.

Rogera

This was suggested by another member of this forum, but I'll repeat it here since I've found it to be very useful. I always found that finding just how tight or loose to hold the measuring tape against my head difficult.

To measure ones head size I recommend to do as Zombie suggests, wrap the tape around your head in the position the sweatband will sit and take a measurement. Note the measurement, place the measuring tape back down, get some sticky tape and stick the measuring tape together at the size you just recorded. E.g. if My head were 23" I would stick the measuring tape together so that it formed a loop of precisely 23" in circumference. Then put the tape on your head as you would a hat. If its too loose and slips down, below where you measured, take it apart, reduce it by 1/8" or so and try again, or if its too tight increase it a little. Keep doing this until it sits where you want it to on your head, with a tightness you are comfortable with. Then you have you're head measurement. I'd recommend you do this in a morning and at night (as your head size can vary slightly over the course of the day) and take the average of both.

Thats the method I have used several times and it works well. That little paper "crown" helps take a lot of the guess work and worry out of sizing.

Landman

One Too Many
I used the method that carranty suggested. I actually sacrificed a cheap cloth measuring tape by cutting it down to about 25" so it would be easier to handle. I then taped it together so it made a loop and I could easily take it off and put it back on after adjusting the size. Once I had the perfect size I added a little bit of length to make up for any shrinkage of the hat. For example, my measurement was approximately 23 5/16" and I use the measurement of 23 3/8" for my custom made hats. That measurement has worked perfect for me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just received my first akubra, a bluegrass green CD, and couldn't be happier. It seemed true to size to me, and conformed almost immediately to my long oval noggin.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379726101019.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379726101019.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379726129468.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379726129468.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,308
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379726153421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379726153421.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,061
Gorgeous hat Jeff! Having seen many of your wonderful hats in the various photos you've posted, I've come to the conclusion that you're one of those gents who can wear wide-brimmed, not-so-wide-brimmed, and stingy-brimmed hats equally well, and make them all look good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart