Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Many of my hats, custom and vintage, have taller crowns. I bought my CD to have a more down to earth option! ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

milliedog

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Maybe it should be called enabling, I want a silver belly one now! I am getting used to the crown. The CD crown is only about a 1/4 taller than my Coober Pedy, rough measurements and how the CD is currently creased.

Qvist

Familiar Face
I continued playing with my Campdraft and gave it a deeper teardrop and a tugboat crease. Now it is no longer so subtle looking and has more character, in my opinion. Or did I go too far...?

10150543244_efc7ff7ce5_z.jpg

10150723376_9ca47c2650_z.jpg

10150723956_f0e8e28f8d_z.jpg

10150638745_1a37d63b6e_z.jpg

It seems that the crown got a little bit taper in it in the proses or are my eyes deceiving me? Maybe the teardrop is consuming so much felt that a little taper is inevitable?

Qvist

Familiar Face
Some more tinkering: I now changed the crease to some kind of semi teardrop / diamond and got rid of the taper pretty well. The tugboat got more pronounced too. Now it starts to be where I wanted it to be in the first place.

10152573304_25317478a0_z.jpg

10152670015_444285db40_z.jpg

10152755046_9b228a70a5_z.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I agree with Richard that it depends on your eye. I like the big taper myself (and the tugboat description is perfect), but up ultimately you have to be happy with the hat.

A

Charles_Company

New in Town
I am waiting on my Taupe fawn Campdraft that should arrive soon but was thinking of changing the ribbon to a thicker fedora ribbon, and was wondering whether anyone on the forum has done this and has any pictures they would like to share. Cheers.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am waiting on my Taupe fawn Campdraft that should arrive soon but was thinking of changing the ribbon to a thicker fedora ribbon, and was wondering whether anyone on the forum has done this and has any pictures they would like to share. Cheers.

Casechopper has posted photos of a modified campdraft in the What are you wearing thread.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
This is my new Campdraft. It got lost in the mail for a week or so, but I finally tracked it down. It is a Heritage model from Hats Direct in silverbelly. As most of you know, Akubra's silverbelly is warmer than many other maker's silverbelly. I tried to get that color to show in these photos, but it is a tricky color to photgraph accurately. It isn't that is a brown color, but it is almost a tan more than a gray.

I got a 63, which is perhaps half a size large. I measured a 63, and a 7 7/8 is right for me in most hats, but in this hat it is a little larger than perfect. A little foam has it right, and perhaps it will shrink a bit, although I don't expect it to shrink much.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the crease - that is a work in progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic