Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

RBH

Bartender
RBH,that doesn't look much like I remember your cousin's weapon :)

I have to have more horsepower!
mafia-mobster-smiley-emoticon.gif

This is it on my screen...And a shot with the brim trim...Hope this helps.
If nothing else, the photos you've posted illustrate the trouble I'm having with determining the actual color of the hat. On my monitor, in the first photo the hat is a rather reddish mid-brown, and in the second it's more of a golden tan...

...I would say that on my screen that the closest to correct is the largest of the three photos.
...and in this photo it's somewhere in-between the first two photos. :frusty: lol

In a weird way, your photos do help though, and I thank you for sharing them. By the way, your hat in the "brim trim" photo is stunning, and in my opinion it really suits you! :eusa_clap

Charles_Company

New in Town
Hi Gents,

Sorry I cant seem to post pics of my hat (still have to learn how to) but I just got a taupe fawn Campdraft myself just before Christmas and I swear mine looks khaki, like a darker green color. I like it anyway it does not bother me but mine looks nothing like the ones I have browsed on the forums. Sorry this probably doesn't help but complicates matters :confused: The cool thing is I am the only person with a khaki Campdraft that I have seen anyway.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Hi Gents,

Sorry I cant seem to post pics of my hat (still have to learn how to) but I just got a taupe fawn Campdraft myself just before Christmas and I swear mine looks khaki, like a darker green color. I like it anyway it does not bother me but mine looks nothing like the ones I have browsed on the forums. Sorry this probably doesn't help but complicates matters :confused: The cool thing is I am the only person with a khaki Campdraft that I have seen anyway.

Sounds like you might have received a Campdraft in Blue Grass Green. Very cool color actually. You should be able to find a picture of one on the Lounge.

What a difference one quarter inch makes.
That's what she said! :drum: :D

I really like the Bluegrass Green Campdraft, but after seeing it "on" me in this quick and dirty mockup...

Akubra_CD_Taupe_Fawn_Bluegrass_Green_mockup_zps8806a5a1.jpg

...I wasn't convinced the color was good for me. Or, rather, that the Taupe Fawn might be a better choice at the moment; for whatever reason I have a "thing" for brown hats right now. I know the colors aren't quite accurate, but I was just going for an approximation to get an idea of how each color might look on me in direct sunlight, and I used that photo of me wearing my Silverbelly Campdraft as a guinea pig.

Duper

Practically Family

I really like the Bluegrass Green Campdraft, but after seeing it "on" me in this quick and dirty mockup...

Akubra_CD_Taupe_Fawn_Bluegrass_Green_mockup_zps8806a5a1.jpg

...I wasn't convinced the color was good for me. Or, rather, that the Taupe Fawn might be a better choice at the moment; for whatever reason I have a "thing" for brown hats right now. I know the colors aren't quite accurate, but I was just going for an approximation to get an idea of how each color might look on me in direct sunlight, and I used that photo of me wearing my Silverbelly Campdraft as a guinea pig.

Great mockup. I think the bluegrass green looks just as good on you as the taupe fawn. Save on the shipping and have two shipped at the same time.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Very much. I will post this Bluegrass green one again as a point of reference.
Before the trim on the left after on the right.

cdtrim.jpg

I also have a 2 5\8s Bluegrass Green and a Silverbelly from EA with the edge bound.

Wow, that comparison is very informative, Rusty, thanks for posting it. Now I need to get another one so I can trim the brim! I really like both versions.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Without wishing to denigrate your photoshop skills, the Bluegrass green is a lot less 'green' in real life - I think in real life you'd like it a lot more :) Having said that, the Taupe Fawn does look good.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Without wishing to denigrate your photoshop skills, the Bluegrass green is a lot less 'green' in real life - I think in real life you'd like it a lot more :) Having said that, the Taupe Fawn does look good.

But the "in real life" part is what's tricky--real life inside or outside? Npb right sunlight or more reflected light? Hat colors are really changeable!

A

Without wishing to denigrate your photoshop skills, the Bluegrass green is a lot less 'green' in real life - I think in real life you'd like it a lot more :)
You can denigrate my Photoshop skills as much as you like! I know a few tricks and I have fun with Photoshop (most of the time, anyway), but I'm far from being an expert. And, as Aaron wrote, hat colors are really changeable depending on the lighting, and I knew I wouldn't come close to the true color of the Bluegrass Green. I'm sure you're right about me liking it more if I were able to see one in person; unfortunately, that's not an option. This would be so much easier if Akubra made the Campdraft in Tawny Fawn! Or Whiskey!!! lol

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can denigrate my Photoshop skills as much as you like! I know a few tricks and I have fun with Photoshop (most of the time, anyway), but I'm far from being an expert. And, as Aaron wrote, hat colors are really changeable depending on the lighting, and I knew I wouldn't come close to the true color of the Bluegrass Green. I'm sure you're right about me liking it more if I were able to see one in person; unfortunately, that's not an option. This would be so much easier if Akubra made the Campdraft in Tawny Fawn! Or Whiskey!!! lol

Your photoshop skills are much better than mine anyway :)

Aaron's right - lighting does change a hat's apparent colour considerably, but in any lighting I'd describe it as a more neutral tone. It's not really an olive, but it's not a real green...

Have you seen this: http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-colour-swatch-card.pdf
?

It's not perfect but can give an idea of how one colour can compare with an existing hat. It suggests taupe fawn and tawny fawn might be the same colour in the same way that carbon grey and steel are different names for the same shade.

I'm very tempted by the taupe campdraft, but having received the squatter in steel for Christmas, I'm also tempted by that in deep fawn...

Have you seen this: http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-colour-swatch-card.pdf
?

It's not perfect but can give an idea of how one colour can compare with an existing hat. It suggests taupe fawn and tawny fawn might be the same colour in the same way that carbon grey and steel are different names for the same shade.
I knew it existed, but I couldn't find it on Akubra's website. Thank you for posting it! Considering the way the Taupe Fawn and Tawny Fawn photograph so differently, I can't help but wonder if they were different names for the same color at one time, but that they're now two slightly different colors and Akubra hasn't updated that card. :suspicious:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic