Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nigeloscars question set me thinking...

If I was to specify the campdraft I'd really like it would be:
Bran
Unlined
Superfine felt (as used in the Squatter)
1/4" shorter brim than standard

That's my idea, but I'll happily join in for a standard brim, lined, imperial felt in bran.

Landman

One Too Many
Richard, where do you see Superfine on the website? My Squatter from HatsDirect was an Imperial felt and came open crown. It appears that the Squatters from EverythingAustralian come with a Pork Pie crease too. Is that correct?

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard, where do you see Superfine on the website? My Squatter from HatsDirect was an Imperial felt and came open crown. It appears that the Squatters from EverythingAustralian come with a Pork Pie crease too. Is that correct?

The Squatters (well at least mine http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?1311-Akubra-squatter/page8) from EverythingAustralian are Superfine Featherweight (although the differences between that and Imperial are pretty small). As standard they do come with a shallow porkpie (I added a pinch and reformed it into more of a teardrop) but I contacted Sam and you can order them open-crowned with a note in the comments field if you prefer.

carranty

One of the Regulars
Nigeloscars question set me thinking...

If I was to specify the campdraft I'd really like it would be:
Bran
Unlined
Superfine felt (as used in the Squatter)
1/4" shorter brim than standard

That's my idea, but I'll happily join in for a standard brim, lined, imperial felt in bran.

There seems to be quite a bit interest in a bran campdraft, though I've never seen this colour myself. Does anyone have any comparison shots of bran alongside silverbelly, tawny fawn or heritage fawn? Where in this spectrum would you say bran sits?

I ordered an Akubra Traveller in Bran that should be here in 3-5 days from EA.
The Oz to US dollar was at a decent point & I wanted to try it with my Christy's tube since Christy's Foldaway was such a disappointment.
I can compare to Heritage Silverbelly & Imperial Tawney Fawn when it arrives.

Since Richard has opened the "wish list" door, my ideal Campdraft would be Tawny Fawn (since Akubra doesn't offer Whiskey) with color-matched brim binding and a wide dark brown ribbon--basically the Campdraft version of the Tawny Fawn Fed IV in my current avatar.

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I'm in for a FL Special Campdraft. Especially while the AU dollar is so low. I'd prefer the Fawn or Bran. I just got a Silverbelly CD for Christmas (I'll post pic's soon) and I've had a brown Fed IV for awhile, so I'd like a color in between.

What is the magic number for them to make a special run? How many need to be committed?

krl66

New in Town
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but if I can squeeze in on this Campdraft dream I'm in for one as well. The bran works for me, but I have to agree with Zombie_61 above... a more whiskey-like tawny fawn or maybe even a regency fawn would be great. But a bran special edition is exciting. If it happens, count me in too, please.

Duper

Practically Family
Hi guys, yes it is fun to dream and feel free to muse on your preferences, but this hat, if it happens will be the standard felt, with the standard ribbon size with a 2 5/8 brim. The colour is leaning towards a bran or tawny fawn which I gather are fairly similar.

I look forward to Mr. Dean's review of the Traveller. I have one in sand. I trimmed the brim on that one as well to remove the welt edge and wire inside that helps the brim retain its shape.

I am still waiting to hear back from Sam at EA on Akubra taking on this project. We have about a dozen interested loungers. I would say we are not even halfway to an order. I will start a new thread if Akubra responds positively to our interest. That should spark some interest.

Duper

Practically Family
I heard back from Sam at EA this morning. Akubra has declined to make a modified version of the Campdraft. He offers his apologies at not being able to persuade Akubra, but they were steadfast.

I imagine these modifications are disruptive to mass production if you are running at high capacity. As has been noted previously Akubra has recently reduced the number of models they offer as well as some of the colours in continued models.

Perhaps another time.

,,,Mike

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I look forward to Mr. Dean's review of the Traveller. I have one in sand. I trimmed the brim on that one as well to remove the welt edge and wire inside that helps the brim retain its shape.
How does that affect the brim, after some battering, Duper? I thought Dean's idea of using the tube with the Traveler was an interesting idea, and wondered if it would keep something of a shape after repeated uses.

Duper

Practically Family
How does that affect the brim, after some battering, Duper? I thought Dean's idea of using the tube with the Traveler was an interesting idea, and wondered if it would keep something of a shape after repeated uses.

I would not think of the Traveller as a tube kind of hat Blacktorn. I also own a Christy's Rollable and the felts are completely different. The felt is much stiffer on the Akubra, but still forgiving of abuse. The brim holds it's shape fine without the wire. I packed mine in a suitcase for long flights and it did great. I would buy another if something happened to this one and give it the same trim again. It is a more narrow and low crown hat then some here prefer, but for what it was intended to be it hits the mark.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I would not think of the Traveller as a tube kind of hat Blacktorn. I also own a Christy's Rollable and the felts are completely different. The felt is much stiffer on the Akubra, but still forgiving of abuse. The brim holds it's shape fine without the wire. I packed mine in a suitcase for long flights and it did great. I would buy another if something happened to this one and give it the same trim again. It is a more narrow and low crown hat then some here prefer, but for what it was intended to be it hits the mark.
Thanks, Duper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner