Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Wlcm and Me too! I bought 2 Camp Drafts from them and I don't know how many times Sam told me... "It'll all be good!"

I'm still amazed at the high quality service provided by Sam at EA. His communications are top notch. Deliveries are always prompt, and priced fairly...still can't figure out why the folks at HD charge so much.
My last Campdraft was shipped via his lower cost option on a Thursday, and in my hands here in NYC on the following Tuesday.
Other online retailers here in the US should be bench marking his best practices.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
As HD "explained" to me they don't get the same courrier "deal" that EA gets, so thusly they get charged more for shipping... but that doesn't xplain why their prices are higher. Maybe they don't get the same "deal" from Akubra either. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Willybob

A-List Customer
I like a brim closer to 3" that 2-1/2" how does the Campdraft fall in that range? Do they vary much? Also. Has anyone compared the Heritage with the Impeial? Some say they can't see any difference. Is it worth it to go with Hatsdirect if Im just going to waste an additional $40-$50 on a felt that's not really any better. If I'm going t

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
2 and 7/8 in brim on the Camp Draft. Is it worth it? Opinions vary. The Heritage or Deluxe grade is smoother and less coarse. My 2 Imperial Grafe Camp Drafts are pretty stiff. I don't have a problem with that EXCEPT... with the stiffer crown sides you may have a problem making a smaller, deeper less "extreme" pinch without having the crown sides collasp and travel along in with the pinch. My Deluxe Fed which im told is the same as the Heritage grade is significantly softer as well as smoother. The sweat is a bit nicer too. Whether it's worth it, is entirely up to you. If the money doesn't matter at all... go with the Heritage Grade.

Last edited:

Willybob

A-List Customer
Well I've been reading this thread and other Campdraft threads for a week now since my wife asked me what she and the kids can get me for my birthday. It was tough but I gave into the temptation and just ordered a 60 LO Campdraft in silverbelly Heritage from HD. I liked the idea of a denser felt less prone to shrinkage. I think it'll go well with my Areo HH LHB. Perfect for a fall trip to Yosemite. Now the waiting begins. Can anyone tell me what the average delivery wait is from HD?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Well I've been reading this thread and other Campdraft threads for a week now since my wife asked me what she and the kids can get me for my birthday. It was tough but I gave into the temptation and just ordered a 60 LO Campdraft in silverbelly Heritage from HD. I liked the idea of a denser felt less prone to shrinkage. I think it'll go well with my Areo HH LHB. Perfect for a fall trip to Yosemite. Now the waiting begins. Can anyone tell me what the average delivery wait is from HD?

My Fed took abt 16 days to US.

tommyK

One Too Many
65aed5ec-6a5b-47bc-ad57-1b581b8fd11e_zpsr58fnfjl.jpg 26bc4f44-5587-4afe-8db2-26e5b9df2842_zpsehm2lx89.jpg
Good hat at a cheap price, no reason not to get one
less than a quarter inch difference (brim) between the Camp Draft and the Bushman
12b13ce7-fe47-45eb-b67a-8633b0a55552_zpshauwv2cv.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
so.............

I just ordered my 3rd CD ... and 5th Akubra

ordered through Hatsdirect again... .. love Trudi ... she is always wonderful to deal with

went with the Silverbelly and in Deluxe this time ... my only other Deluxe is my Fed IV

I have an Oct. outdoor wedding that the wife and I are going to ... and this hat is just going to look fantastic with my suit

going to model it after yours above Tommy .. looks so good

... you guys are a bad influence ... :)

tommyK

One Too Many

Thanks, you guys give me too much credit! This was actually me trying to do G.durand's modified cattleman crease. Something about it suited the Akubra's.

Hearty felt that's good for experimenting with different creases. I just wish it were a little thinner, can't quite get as "tight" a pinch like with a vintage Open Road thus the different crease with these. Besides I love to mix it up shape-wise with my hats. no signature crease for me.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, you guys give me too much credit! This was actually me trying to do G.durand's modified cattleman crease. Something about it suited the Akubra's.

Hearty felt that's good for experimenting with different creases. I just wish it were a little thinner, can't quite get as "tight" a pinch like with a vintage Open Road thus the different crease with these. Besides I love to mix it up shape-wise with my hats. no signature crease for me.

Ditto!

gcsdls

New in Town
My Akubra Camp Draft arrived in pristine condition. Wow...I so like this hat! Tried one bash...my wife didn't like it. She likes this one....

20150805_163422.jpg

20150805_163434.jpg

After taking these...I wet it down, and worked a little more on it. More pics in a day or so.

Thank y'all for talking up Everything Australian and Akubra! Best possible experience buying from the far side of the world. :)

gcsdls

New in Town
Thanks Harv!

Somehow I got the impression this was supposed to come with the sizing spacers to go under the sweatband. Guess I'll have to improvise....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112