Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Nice! Good!!! I'm smiling :) What color...? Thats a BS wait under any circumstances!

Waiting on a hat from them for a couple months myself

It's not DelMonico's fault, this is another ding on Stetson, unfortunately. Yes, I ordered a not-common color (light gray), and expected a wait. Jeff indicated 6-8 weeks, and that would have had it in my hands in June. On July 23, I inquired with Jeff and was told that the factory was going on summer hiatus. They should be back in production soon, I guess, but they haven't made a run of their 150th Anniversary signature line open crown Stetsonians since April? The real pain is, in the middle of July, Deckard posted a light gray Stetsonian on his Instagram. However, it was a prototype in Excellent Quality, not the Royal Deluxe Quality in the catalogue. I would take one of those off his hands to make up for the wait, though!

So here I was in April, excited about getting a high quality Stetson 150th Anniversary lid, and now I'm hoping it gets to me within the 150th Anniversary year! I had high hopes I'd like it, and maybe I'd order an Excellent Strat, or a Racine or something before Christmas. Now I've put this and other new Stetsons out of my mind, for the most part. When it comes, it comes, whatever. I'm concentrating on getting good vintage pick ups and buying Akubras and D'Aquinos new. I appreciate that Stetson is trying to up their game, and I wish them the best of luck, but you have to get the hats into the hands of the customers for them to give you repeat business.

Sorry, but that's no way to run a railroad.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I ordered a Stetsonian from DelMonico on April 24. I'm still waiting for it.

That makes 2 or more of us, I ordered it because of the crown, I love tall straight up crowns. Have no idea when they may come, I sometime forget I ordered it. No fault of DelMonico. I can't heap enough praise on the campdrafts, I'm at 3 now.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
FRUNO: You are right. Unfortunate. 8 weeks turns into 16. Sorry to hear all that. Love that hat but dont really care for any other Stetsons. Their quality or price. You can get a bigger and better WINCHESTER BEAVER custom, from Northwest Hats for the same price. Keep focused on more fun things like you're doin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Fruno - I got a chance to handle a Racine at JJ.
Adam had his personal hat upstairs and let me check it out.
I wasn't into the dimensions or shape at all ... And the felt wasn't even close to the premier Strat or the stetsonian
It wasn't what I expected from the pics.
The Stesonian on the other hand looked fabulous ... Big fat crown.
But they only had it in black and some sort of brown that I can't remember the name of.

The excellent Strat in sage is what I've been waiting on for months from Ernest.
I know the Stetson factory was closed for two weeks but are up and running again

At this rate I may have my Penman before my excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I gave up on Hatco products some time ago. I can't understand how they stay in business when so many of their competitors, such as Peters Bros., are making a real effort. In their entire product line they have exactly two styles that come in sizes larger that 7 3/4 ( and only in limited quantities). Plus, QC seems to be very low. Who needs it?

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Excuse my ignorence, I went thru a big amount of this thread, trying to find the specs of the Campdraft.
But can, t find a clean answer on that.
What would i get if i orderd a silverbelly thru hatsdirect. Thanks

photogravity

One of the Regulars
photogravity if I am honest I do not see a whole lot of difference in the felt ...
I feel that it is more smooth...
and out of the box it feels more like my Imperial that is most broken in.... probably a more detailed pouncing ?
possibly a touch more high quality ingredients ?
but the difference is not earth shattering so to speak ...

where I do see and feel a difference is in the sweat ... much better quality sweat on the Deluxe... and sweats are very important to me

if I had to nit pick anything about Akubra concerning the CDs I would say that I wish they would pay just a bit more attention and tighten up on quality control when it comes to the ribbons and bows....

not that they are horrible ... they are fine and anyone that is not a hat geek like most of us would never notice a thing ..

but you probably know what I'm saying ... sometimes they are stitched just a hair high for me ... and the bows sometimes are just a tad sloppy..

that is coming from a self proclaimed picky stitch counter :)

but yea... the difference is not huge in the felt ... it is noticeable to those of us in the know...

is it worth the difference in $ ?.... thats subjective I think

it is worth it to me ... especially when factoring in the really beautiful sweatband that comes on the Deluxe

Your observations are nearly the same as mine. I was fully expecting the felt to be better than it is. The felt finish is a little better, but is sort of uneven when put next to the BGG Imperial. I have to agree with you on the sweatband. It is luxurious with some of the softest leather I've encountered. Would I buy another Deluxe/Heritage? It depends. There appear to be additional colours available in the Deluxe, so that could be a deciding factor.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The felt differences seem to become a bit more noticeable over time. My Moonstone CD is softer to the touch than the BlueGrassGreen and SilverBelly are. I am not convinced that this difference i worth the extra money, but there is a difference. As PG states above, I would spend the extra for a particularly desired color - as I did with the MoonStone.

And the crown height listed by EA is for a creased hat.

Fed

javadave61

Practically Family
Excuse my ignorence, I went thru a big amount of this thread, trying to find the specs of the Campdraft.
But can, t find a clean answer on that.
What would i get if i orderd a silverbelly thru hatsdirect. Thanks
If you want the bluegrass green in a shorter brim, I remember reading somewhere on here that EA has some special edition Campdrafts left (made exclusively for the loungers). Not sure what size though. Worth a call if 2 5/8ths (I believe) is more to your liking.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Thank u javadave61 and Bob Roberts, smaller brons do appeal to me indeed. Thought it was time to try a bigger one, 2 5/8 would be good start, but don,t like the color so much. Thanks again

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
You've all inspired me to post my taupe CD - great all rounder....

IMGA0883_zpssosxw5di.jpg

IMGA0884_zpslugwupve.jpg

IMGA0885_zpskdzrbepe.jpg

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy