Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

...With age comes senility.
Oh, I don't know about that. I...uh...what were we talking about?

...I thought I was done with Akubra's but, between this and the bluegrass green...
I've said that every time I've received a new Akubra. Then I see another one I like and...well, you know. ;)

The absolute ONLY current production Stetson I like is the Stetsonian. I believe it's their highest/fattest/ biggest open crown with little or no taper. I do NOT like taper...
Same here. On my head, a hat with a tapered crown looks like the reservoir tip on a condom. lol

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I don't know about that. I...uh...what were we talking about?

I've said that every time I've received a new Akubra. Then I see another one I like and...well, you know. ;)

Same here. On my head, a hat with a tapered crown looks like the reservoir tip on a condom. lol

Witches... Leprechauns... Pilgrims...

Willybob

A-List Customer
I've read a lot of questions in the lounge about Campdraft fit and finish, suppliers and shipping so I thought I would share my experience.

My new Heritage Campdraft from Hatsdirect arrived yesterday. I was very concerned when I got home and saw the box. It was "Tore up" as we say up here in the hills.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Fortunately my hat wasn't a loss. The hat itself only needed a little adjustment. I was able to apply some steam and a flat iron to get it back in shape. Seriously, Hatsdirect really needs to use a better box, not the thin things made out of that flimsy cardboard made in China. If I order again from Hatsdirect I will request they double box with heavier cardboard.

I had placed the order on the 2nd and it arrived in L.A. ( Southern California, west coast USA) on the 4th. I live on the west coast, 6 hours north of L.A. Of course, the United States Postal Service, seeing this, sent my hat off to West Virginia, the east coast USA, 2400 miles away.??? USPS at its finest. After a 2 day lay over it started back to the west coast, where it found its way to my front porch. Even with that, 7 days is nothing to complain about.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that when I requested a long oval, It was correct to think it would come from the Akubra factory that way, as I believe my Bushman had. I immediately noticed that the sharp 90 degree where the brim meets the crown was gone, there were marks on the brim at the crown and there was a taper front and back. I suspect it had been stretched by Hatsdirect before shipping.

I'm a stickler for a straight wall crown and a sharp 90. My Bushman is a long oval and has a sharp 90 and no taper. If I had known how the long oval was going to be done, I would have either not asked for a long oval from Hatsdirect and dealt with it myself or requested a special order long oval from Akubra, if Hatsdirect would even do that, and assuming Akubra makes them that way. I expect EverythingAustrailian would do it but I don't think they offer Heritage grade felts. My flat iron was able to bring the sharp 90 back. Just something to consider if these things matter to you when ordering a long oval. Are you going to get one factory made as a long oval or is the dealer going to stretch one they already have in stock. I am not a big advocate of hat stretching for size unless it's the only option left. I believe stretching for size will alway change the dynamic of the brim in some manner.

I compared the Heritage Campdraft to my Imperial Bushman and saw that the two felts are very different. My Imperial Bushman has very smooth texture when I run my hand over it and the felt is very flexible. The Heritage felt of the Campdraft is thicker and not as flexible. I would say it is stiff. The texture is a bit rougher. I can feel the hairs as I run my had over it. It took a bash very easily when steamed.
image.jpg

As far as fit goes, my Bushman is a 60 (7-1/2 US) and fits me perfect. My Campdraft fit loose out of the box open crown. It sat on my ears, as did my Bushman when I got it. Steaming the crown and brim brought my Campdraft right down to a perfect fit. I recommend you order your exact size or, If you are a half size, round up. I suspect a loose start may also rectify any long oval needs you may have.

Sorry for the long post. I hope something in this writing will be helpful to someone considering a Campdraft purchase.

...My new Heritage Campdraft from Hatsdirect arrived yesterday. I was very concerned when I got home and saw the box. It was "Tore up" as we say up here in the hills...Fortunately my hat wasn't a loss. The hat itself only needed a little adjustment...Seriously, Hatsdirect really needs to use a better box, not the thin things made out of that flimsy cardboard made in China...
I ordered my first Akubra from Hats Direct back in 2008, and when it arrived one end of the carton was pushed inward approximately 1/4 of it's original width. I'd read on the Club Obi Wan forum that this was rather common at that time so I wasn't too surprised, but when I opened the carton to inspect my new Fed IV I found the front of the brim pushed up against the front of the crown. When I freed the hat from it's cardboard prison the brim immediately flattened out with no visible indications of it's deformation, but to this day I can't help but wonder if this somehow contributed to my inability to shape the front of the brim to my satisfaction.

Conversely, when I ordered my second Fed IV in 2013 I was surprised when the carton (and the hat) arrived in pristine condition. lol

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
... because I love this forum .... This thread ... And this Campdraft I'm wearing today
.... That's why

facb04d9e7ba880634ea058ecf5a8dc8.jpg

cameo by Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javadave61

Practically Family
I compared the Heritage Campdraft to my Imperial Bushman and saw that the two felts are very different. My Imperial Bushman has very smooth texture when I run my hand over it and the felt is very flexible. The Heritage felt of the Campdraft is thicker and not as flexible. I would say it is stiff. The texture is a bit rougher. I can feel the hairs as I run my had over it. It took a bash very easily when steamed.

Sorry about your experience, WillyBob. In fact, as soon as I type this, I will wipe your experience from my mind since I have a hat or two coming from Australia. :)

I would have imagined the Heritage felt to have a smoother texture. Thicker, I get, but not rougher. Wouldn't the Heritage felt have had more pouncing? My Stockman (aka, my Fed IV Jr.) from the 80s (I think) is imperial felt and it's noticeably smoother than my imperial Campdraft. So I wonder of modern production is just going to be a rougher texture altogether.

Willybob

A-List Customer
My Imperial Bushman has a noticeably smoother finish. The visual surface of the Heritage Campdraft appears no different but is not as smooth to the hand. The sweat band is a bit wider but seems to be the same quality leather. Don't get me wrong. I love the hat. I can tell it is going to be very durable in all types of weather and will be easy to re shape.

Does anyone have any experience with long oval orders. Am I correct in thinking that Akubra produces a long oval product as well as a standard crown shape direct fro the factory factory?

Yes Zombie their interior packaging is getting better. Foam padding around the outside of the crown where it meets the brim.
The thing is, I didn't think there was anything wrong with their packaging back in 2008. The way the package was handled between the time it left Hats Direct and the time it arrived on my front porch, on the other hand... :rage:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
They recently started putting foam "bumpers" aroun the brim crown area cuz people were getting "wear" marks where the crown was placed top down into the bed of the holder.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy