Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
My BGCD just arrived today. Only 8 days from Australia. I was shocked. I figured it would be January or February. This is my first bash, so I'm not too sure how well I did. First pic is with my Stratoliner. I sort of used it as a guide though I presume the factory has a mold that makes their bashes so precise.
b6d239dffeffa29dc55e7898a70a7f7e.jpg
c4b71ad787ff7fa4eac66928f136b5a0.jpg
4c9e57a6bf62b40342b04e0dea262d6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My BGCD just arrived today. Only 8 days from Australia. I was shocked. I figured it would be January or February. This is my first bash, so I'm not too sure how well I did. First pic is with my Stratoliner. I sort of used it as a guide though I presume the factory has a mold that makes their bashes so precise.
b6d239dffeffa29dc55e7898a70a7f7e.jpg
c4b71ad787ff7fa4eac66928f136b5a0.jpg
4c9e57a6bf62b40342b04e0dea262d6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice job.

...This is my first bash, so I'm not too sure how well I did. First pic is with my Stratoliner. I sort of used it as a guide though I presume the factory has a mold that makes their bashes so precise.
It looks just fine to me! I think you'll find more than a few members here who prefer the slightly-imperfect look of a hand-creased hat; it gives them character, and makes them truly and uniquely yours.

konadog

Practically Family
i don't know a lot about hats seeing as though i've only been collecting for a year now. but one thing for me is i definitely prefer the slightly-imperfect look Zombie discusses. the more i pay attention to hats afield, the more i appreciate a quality, character-driven original.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Santa came early this year: my Akubra Campdraft in mid-brown (via RM Williams) showed up today. It was just returned to me by Colin at JJ Hat Center, who re-bashed the stock lid into a teardrop (if only hats could accumulate frequent flyer miles). On to the cell phone pics...

This thing is a bit of a chameleon, colorwise, and hard to capture with a camera (it's actually darker than it appears below).

CMMD_Akubra Campdraft_Brown_01.jpg

Here it is next to a CD in taupe fawn, just to show the difference in color.

CMMD_Akubra Campdraft_Brown_02.jpg

My only selfie for 2015 (scouts honor). This is the most accurate pic of the RM's color.

CMMD_Akubra Campdraft_Brown_03.jpg

This bad boy is STIFF, so I look forward to breaking it in in the upcoming weeks.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Folks here seem to like to think that the Akubra RM is the same hat as the Akubra Campdraft, but I would beg to differ.
My RM has a much flatter brim than my Campdrafts and it is considerably lighter in weight, 4.8 oz. in contrast to 5.3 oz. and 5.7 oz. for the Campdrafts.
It also is only sold pre-creased and in a different color from the Campdrafts.
Additionally, my RM was a bit larger in size (crown circumference) than all of my many other Akubra hats except for the American version Akubra Adventurer.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Folks here seem to like to think that the Akubra RM is the same hat as the Akubra Campdraft, but I would beg to differ.
My RM has a much flatter brim than my Campdrafts and it is considerably lighter in weight, 4.8 oz. in contrast to 5.3 oz. and 5.7 oz. for the Campdrafts.
It also is only sold pre-creased and in a different color from the Campdrafts.
Additionally, my RM was a bit larger in size (crown circumference) than all of my many other Akubra hats except for the American version Akubra Adventurer.

1. You're correct, the AM bash and brim treatment is lame. LAME! It's so lame that I shipped it to Colin at JJ Hat Center and asked him to mirror the AM to a stock CD. He's a stud, so the fix probably took all of 5 minutes.
  2. While I'm nowhere near ambitious enough to actually weigh a hat, I see no concernable difference between my Campdrafts and the RM in hand or on head.
  3. Regarding the different color, this is the reason nearly everyone ends up with an AM lid in the first place, myself included (all hail brown lids!).
So, the AM gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from this knucklehead. Thanks to the many fine folks here that pointed me to it.

- m

Reactions: RJR

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That color is really nice. Now I've got another one to think about. BTW, I've found that spraying the hat with distilled water and just holding it by the brim and bouncing it up and down helps in the softening-up process. I'm on my third Akubra now and find that I don't have to be too gentle with them; in fact, they seem to like a bit of rough treatment.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The flatter brim would not be an issue for me and the color is a huge plus. The pre-creased crown can be undone with a bit of work.

But the real problem is - there are only twos sizes offered by RM? Seems a bit odd. Is this a problem with their website or with their stock?

Fed

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
The flatter brim would not be an issue for me and the color is a huge plus. The pre-creased crown can be undone with a bit of work.

But the real problem is - there are only twos sizes offered by RM? Seems a bit odd. Is this a problem with their website or with their stock?

Fed

Shoot them a note at customerservice@rmwilliams.com.au regarding sizes. We corresponded several times before I pulled the trigger, and their service was excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats