Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars

El Zipster

New in Town
SB Campdraft Deluxe, Christmas was good to me this year!!
Cheers
Zip
dz7ytz.jpg

hatfanoldfatman

New in Town
Maybe this isn't the place to say this, since I have no experience with RM CD's. However, I have purchased two Campdrafts this year, a CD Deluxe from Hats Direct (Australia) and a plain CD from Everything Australian (also in Australia). Here is the odd thing: the CD Deluxe--the so-called Heritage grade--is heavier and harder to block than the standard, less expensive Imperial grade Campdraft. I was trying to do an Open Road look with the CD Deluxe, and it ended up looking like a cowboy hat. The standard CD, being of lighter felt, was easy to block, and it looks just like a Stetson Open Road (except nicer); plus it is lighter, cooler and more comfortable. And lest anyone suspect that my difficulty with the CD Deluxe is due to inability to block a hat, au contraire--I have been doing it for decades. I might add that Hats Direct sent me the wrong color.

hatfanoldfatman

New in Town
I pretty much agree about the difference in quality between the two. So far 1 bluegrass and 2 silver belly. I'm missing a moonstone Campdraft in the lineup, I'll probably order one, even though I swore off buying any more hats. I have no need for tawny. Akubra Campdraft, as well as others in their lineup, happen to be one of the best values in hats IMHO.

hatfanoldfatman

New in Town
My discovery of a vintage OR is what started me down the same hole.

I think the Campdraft leans more towards the OR specs than it does the Stratoliner specs. I think Strats are a little narrower in the brim (though they can be found in various widths, I believe). The Campdraft will be very close to the OR you inherited. Akubra once made Stetson's Open Roads, so depending on the age of your OR, it may have been Australian made.

Besides the Alessandria, most hat makers back in the day had OR clones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hatfanoldfatman

New in Town
I bought a Stetson 6X Open Road this year, and two open-crown Akubra Campdrafts (one Imperial grade, one Heritage grade). The crown height on the Stetson is about 1/2 inch lower than the crown on the Campdraft is after blocking, which matters if you have a tall head. The Stetson brim is advertised as 2 3/4 inch, whereas the Campdraft brim is advertised as 2 7/8 inch, an imperceptible difference in appearance. The sweatband in the Campdraft is much more comfortable than in the Stetson; this is true in either the standard or Deluxe Campdraft. The Stetson 6X looks good, but it is stiff and would best be reblocked by a professional, whereas Campdrafts can be blocked at home (usually). I have also had other Akubras: the Squatter, the Bushman, both easy to block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles