Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"Will the Campdraft's dimensions crease out to look like the OR pictures above?"

They certainly should.
My Campdrafts have 5.75" (+?) open crowns and 2.875" brims,
whereas my lone (1980s) Open Road has only a 5.125" open crown and a 2.5" brim.
Other than for the color, one of my Campdrafts looks very much like your Open Road above, except, of course, it's a little wider all around.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"I was a little concerned that the open crown height on the Fed IV, of 5 5/8 inches, may not actually be tall enough for an Indyesque look, and that the 2.5 inches brim width on the sides may be too narrow for the dimensionally cut brim that's 2 3/4 inches from front to back"

My sole Federation IV came with an open crown that measured only 5.5", which gave me barely enough crown to keep the top of the hat off my head.
The same is true of all of my many other Akubras, none of which exceed 5.5" in open crown height, except for the American version Adventurer at 5.625", the Campdrafts at 5.75" (+?), and the Woomera at nearly 6.7".

According the IndyGear.com,
http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
"The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)"

The above means that the Federation IV has too narrow a brim at the sides.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Indiana Jones' hat(s) in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" look (and are) so tall because they have a very shallow (but sharp) center crease, which is rather difficult to do by hand without a hat block.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
"I was a little concerned that the open crown height on the Fed IV, of 5 5/8 inches, may not actually be tall enough for an Indyesque look, and that the 2.5 inches brim width on the sides may be too narrow for the dimensionally cut brim that's 2 3/4 inches from front to back"

My sole Federation IV came with an open crown that measured only 5.5", which gave me barely enough crown to keep the top of the hat off my head.
The same is true of all of my many other Akubras, none of which exceed 5.5" in open crown height, except for the American version Adventurer at 5.625", the Campdrafts at 5.75" (+?), and the Woomera at nearly 6.7".

According the IndyGear.com,
http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
"The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)"

The above means that the Federation IV has too narrow a brim at the sides.
I don't know that too many folks will notice the difference in the brim, seeing as how every fedora I wear gets an Indy reference, whether they be thin ribboned, stingy brim, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I don't know that too many folks will notice the difference in the brim, seeing as how every fedora I wear gets an Indy reference, whether they be thin ribboned, stingy brim, whatever.

Only one of my many hats has ever been referred to by others as an "Indiana Jones", and that's an American version Akubra Adventurer which is considerably larger than any of the the Indiana Jones hats in any of the films. I would suppose that is because of its dark brown color and its ribbon, its front crease and brim flange, and the fact that most people seem to be under the impression that Indiana Jones' various hats were actually much larger than they actually were.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Although I seem to gravitate toward the thin and mid-ribbons I actually like the wider ribbon fedoras too. I just can't afford to buy the ones I like, especially the vintage ones off the bay. Due to my low wage warehouse job and my financially embarrassed pockets I've come to develop a philosophy, If you can't afford the hat you want, convert a hat to what you want. But even that's not the same as having the actual thing. Also, I lack the monetary resources to buy more of the tools I need to make more hats in a wider variety of styles I would like. So, I'm limited in what I can do at the moment, unless a rich uncle somewhere that I don't know about left me tons of cash in his will. :) Probably not, though. :( Anyway, I was a little concerned that the open crown height on the Fed IV, of 5 5/8 inches, may not actually be tall enough for an Indyesque look, and that the 2.5 inches brim width on the sides may be too narrow for the dimensionally cut brim that's 2 3/4 inches from front to back. For that '30s Indyesque style, I want a tall straight boxy crown that I can crease with a Center Dent to 5 inches all around, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 inches to the back. I would definitely have to rework the bow and ribbon on it as well, but that's a fun and easy enough fix for me. From the pictures I've seen of the Fed IV here on the Lounge it doesn't look as though any are creased taller than 4.5 inches, a little short, I think, for an Indyesque look. Does anyone have pictures of themselves wearing the Fed with the Indy styling? I'd like to get an idea of what I can actually do with it.

Here's a '50s era Open Road, 5 3/4 open crown with a 2 3/4 brim. I creased it with a C-Crown, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back. Those are the dimensions I'm looking for in a Campdraft, except in a different color other than Silverbelly. Fawn, probably, since they don't make the dark brown anymore.

B_Open_Road.jpg

Me, wearing the hat, joined by my Son and Grandson. Yeah, I'm old!
A_Me_Matthew_Hayden_01_B.jpg

Open_Road_me_RC.jpg

Will the Campdraft's dimensions crease out to look like the OR pictures above?

Gotta love Laurel and Hardy! Classic! Even when they were doing Silents! Check out all the nice hats in this 1928 silent short, "Two Tars"

Dance of the Cuckoos
"T" (Indiana) Jones: How abt the Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green...?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Although I seem to gravitate toward the thin and mid-ribbons I actually like the wider ribbon fedoras too. I just can't afford to buy the ones I like, especially the vintage ones off the bay. Due to my low wage warehouse job and my financially embarrassed pockets I've come to develop a philosophy, If you can't afford the hat you want, convert a hat to what you want. But even that's not the same as having the actual thing. Also, I lack the monetary resources to buy more of the tools I need to make more hats in a wider variety of styles I would like. So, I'm limited in what I can do at the moment, unless a rich uncle somewhere that I don't know about left me tons of cash in his will. :) Probably not, though. :( Anyway, I was a little concerned that the open crown height on the Fed IV, of 5 5/8 inches, may not actually be tall enough for an Indyesque look, and that the 2.5 inches brim width on the sides may be too narrow for the dimensionally cut brim that's 2 3/4 inches from front to back. For that '30s Indyesque style, I want a tall straight boxy crown that I can crease with a Center Dent to 5 inches all around, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 inches to the back. I would definitely have to rework the bow and ribbon on it as well, but that's a fun and easy enough fix for me. From the pictures I've seen of the Fed IV here on the Lounge it doesn't look as though any are creased taller than 4.5 inches, a little short, I think, for an Indyesque look. Does anyone have pictures of themselves wearing the Fed with the Indy styling? I'd like to get an idea of what I can actually do with it.

Here's a '50s era Open Road, 5 3/4 open crown with a 2 3/4 brim. I creased it with a C-Crown, 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back. Those are the dimensions I'm looking for in a Campdraft, except in a different color other than Silverbelly. Fawn, probably, since they don't make the dark brown anymore.

B_Open_Road.jpg

Me, wearing the hat, joined by my Son and Grandson. Yeah, I'm old!
A_Me_Matthew_Hayden_01_B.jpg

Open_Road_me_RC.jpg

Will the Campdraft's dimensions crease out to look like the OR pictures above?

Gotta love Laurel and Hardy! Classic! Even when they were doing Silents! Check out all the nice hats in this 1928 silent short, "Two Tars"

Dance of the Cuckoos
Also T, the Hattery has the Campdraft in "Heritage" (Deluxe) felt and u'll have more of a color selection from them and quicker delivery but you'll pay more $$$.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
"Will the Campdraft's dimensions crease out to look like the OR pictures above?"

They certainly should.
My Campdrafts have 5.75" (+?) open crowns and 2.875" brims,
whereas my lone (1980s) Open Road has only a 5.125" open crown and a 2.5" brim.
Other than for the color, one of my Campdrafts looks very much like your Open Road above, except, of course, it's a little wider all around.
It seems the Campdrafts have the same dimensions in crown height and brim width as does my 50s era Open Road, 5 3/4 open crown height and 2 3/4 brim width. I have a couple ORs from the '80s. The crown height on those are around 5 inches, much shorter than the one I have from the '50s. I also have an early '60s OR, same thing. Short crown height. The earlier ORs were also better quality. They don't make 'em like they used to. I don't think I'm going to chance getting the Fed. I don't I'd be satisfied with that open crown height for an Indyesque style hat.
I think I'm going to go with a Campdraft, probably Fawn since they don't make the dark brown anymore.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Also T, the Hattery has the Campdraft in "Heritage" (Deluxe) felt and u'll have more of a color selection from them and quicker delivery but you'll pay more $$$.
Is there enough of a noticeable difference in the felt finish and sweat quality between the Imperial and Heritage to justify the higher cost of the Deluxe?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I wrote to HatsDirect to inquire about the difference in weight between their various Campdrafts.
In reply they gave me the weights for their Campdrafts in both grades of felt and in various colors.
All the hats had different weights, but all of the more expensive Deluxe version hats were heavier than their standard counterparts.

There has been discussions in various threads in these forums about the differences between the "standard" and "deluxe" Akubras, with considerable differences of opinion as to whether there is much of a difference in the actual felt, but general agreement that the "deluxe" hats have better sweatbands.
Also, as I noted above, the "deluxe" hats are definitely heavier.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones' hat(s) in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" look (and are) so tall because they have a very shallow (but sharp) center crease, which is rather difficult to do by hand without a hat block.

the Raiders hat is tall because of the block that Herbert Johnson used ... the block that eventually disappeared ... which is why none of the hats used in later movies hat that same profile

and the bash is not difficult at all to achieve by hand ... not that I find anyway

John shows here how simple it is with a hat blocked correctly

Last edited:

Mike Swift

New in Town
Only one of my many hats has ever been referred to by others as an "Indiana Jones", and that's an American version Akubra Adventurer which is considerably larger than any of the the Indiana Jones hats in any of the films. I would suppose that is because of its dark brown color and its ribbon, its front crease and brim flange, and the fact that most people seem to be under the impression that Indiana Jones' various hats were actually much larger than they actually were.

Mike Swift

New in Town
The 'Indiana Jones' hats, Akubra Federation IV, Christy Adventurer/Poet, etc are all taller than the Akubra Adventurer. The Akubra Adventurer (which I have ordered standard pre creased) from Australia does have a lower crown. For everyday wear I felt the Indy bash was a little to extreme, ok for those who want it but I'm not Indiana Jones, never will be & don't want to be. All the best from the UK & I'll let you know how things work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR