Akubra Campdraft

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Bluegrass Green, Taupe Fawn, Silverbelly.

[​IMG]

Choose wisely. :cool:

You're right about the Taupe Fawn; it can change colors pretty drastically depending on the lighting. But I like it and, of the three in the photo, it's the one that gets the most head time.

2. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I like the Fawn and the Bluegrass. When it comes to buy a new hat I will have a hard choice to make. From experience, I find it hard to keep light colours looking good. They get marks and stains on them pretty easily.
    Johnny

3. Mark53

Mark53 New in Town

Silver Belly is a good color for summer wear. Living where I do, one can't always depend ao a summer day with no rain. I have messed up straw hats that have gone rained on, on a day that was clear in the morning. Silver Belly however, is "only as clean as you are" (quoting a hat salesman at JJ Hat Center) If you aren't a white glove person (I'm not) it will get dirty.

KarlCrow likes this.
  4. This was definitely a concern when I ordered my Silverbelly CD. I don't abuse my hats, but I don't "baby" them either; I give 'em a good brushing when they need it, but that's about it. I've had my Silverbelly for almost four years and the only stain is on the top of the crown, caused by an encounter with a low tree branch (sap). I did notice, however, while looking at that photo that the lower left/front corner of the bow has come untacked; I might have to address that one of these days.

5. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

My BGCD is starting to look its age. I've been toying with the idea of having it cleaned and blocked but that would erase its "character" so I remain hesitant.

6. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Is it just me, or do they look like they came of different blocks? The SB seems to be more tapered than the BGG...?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. hccbo

hccbo New in Town

Just ordered a bgg...was taking years off my life tryin to pick a color until I realized all the other options were a three month wait in my size. If this one fits though...I could be in for it

Zombie_61, Bob Roberts and KarlCrow like this.
  8. andrew_AU

for the sake of your health don't limit yourself to one!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I don't believe Akubra has only one Camp Draft crown block in each size.

10. andrew_AU

Ture. But I would have expected the blocks to be duplicates of each other with no/minimal variation

11. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I wouldn't.

12. andrew_AU

because it's Akubra or because it's a mass-produced hat? or both?

13. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

A little bit of both maybe. Blocks acquired over the years from different sources.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. andrew_AU

interesting. that would certainly explain why I have two Fed IV's that look quite different

Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.
  15. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Looking at hundreds if not thousands of images of Feds and Camp Drafts over the years, I really do believe the blocks vary and I know it's not always just the camera angles...

16. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

So I know this is in here somewhere because I’ve seen something about it, but can’t find it.
    I have 3 Campdrafts, the taupe fawn and BGG are my go to. Wear them daily. The SB I rarely wear because the brim has a big curl to it. And when I pop the front down, it is very drastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there a way to flatten them brim a bit to look more like my others...
    [​IMG]

Looking back at older pics of the SB, it used to not have this much of a curl.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been, johnnycanuck, rclark and 3 others like this.
  17. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

This is an older pic of the Silverbelly that I meant to add...
    [​IMG]

18. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

Get a small Travel Iron , cover the Brim with cloth , steam and iron . The other option is steam the front of the brim and lightly tug it down to desired point . Others might explain it better . @alanfgag or @Hurricane Jack or someone else could probably explain it better , but to go up steam on the top , to go down steam on the bottom . Steam the direction you want to go .

AbbaDatDeHat and Cap_7597 like this.
  19. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

@Cap_7597 I've been meaning to ask you about Overalls that still have button flies . Looking Good Hero ! Merry Christmas !

Cap_7597 likes this.
  20. Cap_7597

Cap_7597 A-List Customer

Thanks. Did not know that. What made it curl over this last year? It’s mainly set in the box.

Michael R. likes this.