Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

hambone71

Practically Family
So I think I’m satisfied with the bash, for the moment anyway.
369D3F97-29FB-44CC-8235-7C7845C57BB9.jpeg
7750BC18-F1B7-41BF-BDB9-6A4BFBCB74FD.jpeg
AF5E02D3-25A1-4CDB-9176-ABD3BC705F4E.jpeg
01D3677C-D93A-4A18-B5A4-5573BF66BE5D.jpeg

DrSugarRay

New in Town
Hi, question for the Campdraft fans. I live in Houston...and it's hot here. Rarely is it legitimately cold. When I buy hats, this is one of the primary things I take into account. That said, how do you all fair with your Campdraft in hot weather? Is it somewhat "light" and wearable in hot weather? Or would I be dooming my noggin?

g.durand

One Too Many
Hi, question for the Campdraft fans. I live in Houston...and it's hot here. Rarely is it legitimately cold. When I buy hats, this is one of the primary things I take into account. That said, how do you all fair with your Campdraft in hot weather? Is it somewhat "light" and wearable in hot weather? Or would I be dooming my noggin?
I live in the same climate, but about 200+ miles east of you. I have a Campdraft, and it's roughly the same as most other felt hats in terms of felt density, weight, etc. Since I moved back here from the West Coast, I almost never wear felt hats between mid-April and mid-October. Too hot.

I much prefer felt hats over most straw, but I’m lucky if I get five months of felt weather in California. I just can’t wear felt in the heat, but some do. A lot depends on your personal tolerance to heat etc.

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I'm one of those folks who wears my Camp Drafts all year round. Last August I played another 2-set outdoor show in 85 degree (F) heat wearing my sand (formerly silverbelly) Camp Draft Deluxe. I actually wore the hat all day long at the event, and did not sweat thru the leather band. That said, I'm liking the heat much more in my later years than I did when I was younger. I would have probably been uncomfortable in a fur felt on a hot summer day 20 years ago.

Edward

Bartender
I'm one of those folks who wears my Camp Drafts all year round. Last August I played another 2-set outdoor show in 85 degree (F) heat wearing my sand (formerly silverbelly) Camp Draft Deluxe. I actually wore the hat all day long at the event, and did not sweat thru the leather band. That said, I'm liking the heat much more in my later years than I did when I was younger. I would have probably been uncomfortable in a fur felt on a hot summer day 20 years ago.

There's definitely something of age to it. I know I feel the cold a lot faster now in my late forties than I did in my mid twenties. I've also noticed I feel the cold faster when I'm slimmer. Still not at my smallest as an adult, but the smallest I've been in a decade as of last June after a hefty diet, much needed. I did suffer with the heat still very much this Summer, though I don't think as badly as I did in 2021 when I was about 75lbs heavier and closing in on ten inches bigger round the middle. I'm feeling the cold a little faster now without that insulation, but it's totally worth it for all the upsides!

DrSugarRay

New in Town
Here is another Akubra campdraft question - I've never dealt with an open crown hat before. Do I just shape it with my hands without use of steam? If so, does it easily pop out and lose its shape? It would be annoying if it did that, I would think. But I'm also totally ignorant on this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here is another Akubra campdraft question - I've never dealt with an open crown hat before. Do I just shape it with my hands without use of steam? If so, does it easily pop out and lose its shape? It would be annoying if it did that, I would think. But I'm also totally ignorant on this. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Steam is your friend. Think of the shape you want. Steam, then shape.

If it doesn't work out as you wanted, steam and shape again. Akubras are a pretty solid felt, so don't be afraid to mold as you want.

Enjoy the pleasure of shaping an open crown.

Over the years I've had good luck using distilled water instead of steam on my Akubras. Pour it into a spray bottle, spray the felt until it's good and wet, shape the crown and brim as desired, then set the hat aside where it won't be disturbed and let it dry thoroughly.

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

Worked out pretty well. BTW, distilled water was used because the city I live in puts a lot of chemicals in the tap water, and I didn't want any of them to affect the dyes used in the production of my hats.

Who?

Practically Family
Over the years I've had good luck using distilled water instead of steam on my Akubras. Pour it into a spray bottle, spray the felt until it's good and wet, shape the crown and brim as desired, then set the hat aside where it won't be disturbed and let it dry thoroughly.

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

Worked out pretty well. BTW, distilled water was used because the city I live in puts a lot of chemicals in the tap water, and I didn't want any of them to affect the dyes used in the production of my hats.
Nice job, and three very fine looking hats.

Pellie

One Too Many

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

I always do it the same way, but in the netherlands i can use tapwater instead of distilled water. Always works pretty good.

dmsantam

New in Town
Another vote for using distilled water in a spray bottle. Spray liberally on hat, the felt will soften. Bash your hat then wear it till it dries. The bash will then hold.

Steam also works but is much faster and I prefer to have more time to get the bash right.

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I use distilled water from a spray bottle because it is easier, and as dmsantam points out, you have more time to work.

I find it interesting that the Akubra care instructions I've received with many a hat suggest a dry bash, which you perfect when your hat is dampened with rain. They also warn that steam may shrink a hat's felt. Huh? With so many folks using steam, I find that a tough pill to swallow, but maybe they're referring to an extremely excessive use of steam.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
So, asking for honest opinions! I’ve been wanting a Campdraft for a while now and I decided to save up for one after my wife and I settle into a new place next month. Curious if you good folks would recommend a Bluegrass Green or a Sand color to fit in with a brown and moonstone Federation IV? I wear a lot of white, browns, grays blues and occasional reds/burgundies and would intend the Campdraft as a casual hat alongside the brown Fed.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
So, asking for honest opinions! I’ve been wanting a Campdraft for a while now and I decided to save up for one after my wife and I settle into a new place next month. Curious if you good folks would recommend a Bluegrass Green or a Sand color to fit in with a brown and moonstone Federation IV? I wear a lot of white, browns, grays blues and occasional reds/burgundies and would intend the Campdraft as a casual hat alongside the brown Fed.
they're both nice, I kind of think BlueGrass Green is the Best

I think Sand and Black are the most versatile colors. Bluegrass green is my favorite of their colors, but I’m not sure it’s the most versatile.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I love my CDBG, but I think you'd be better off with the Sand to go with your outfits colours.

Edward

Bartender

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

Nice set. I have one Campdraft, a DLX model (I don't think they do this any more? It was the same felt as in the DLX version of the Federation - a little hare mixed in with the rabbit). Used to be called Silverbelly, I see it's been renamed Sand sometime since I bought mine in, I think, late 2010.

That bluegrass green is glorious, though. Eyes on that with green tweeds in mind....

The green would give the most 'difference' from your current options, though the sand might be a more neutral earthtone if you want it to work with the same stuff as the brown Fed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko