Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

mullitt

Familiar Face
I’ve had this Campdraft deluxe bashed 3 different ways since I got it last year - this is the one I like the most. Kind of like a cattleman but shallow dents that don’t go all the way back. Was just trying different stuff and this is the one that stuck.
E9713BDF-E241-4151-BF11-0B1A7CEEC49C.jpeg 143E3EC3-1CDA-4708-B954-4DF7D912B663.jpeg 43315793-A58F-452D-B1D8-3EF8E11D7BB9.jpeg

Snagged a Banjo, I am in love! Shoutout to @dkstott for sealing the deal for me with his replies and hat picture.

Now, silverbelly or bluegrass green CDs? Which one do you fellas prefer/reach out for more and why?

Thank you.

I also prefer the BGGCD. I like my silverbelly, but the BGG is just more interesting to me. Mine came with a 1 1/2” ribbon replacement:

AE477A16-063B-4406-9F61-0EB1CE490AB5.jpeg
CFAFFC62-9671-4139-B169-7CF9283FF39F.jpeg

Rocking it! How do you crease yours on the top?

For fedoras, I don’t use many creases. 80% are some sort of a diamond as it gives the hat a boxier look and minimizes taper. Some hats, particularly old ones (1940s and earlier), just call for a simple center dent.

There are several (too many) threads here on the Campdraft, but check this one out:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Snagged a Banjo, I am in love! Shoutout to @dkstott for sealing the deal for me with his replies and hat picture.

Now, silverbelly or bluegrass green CDs? Which one do you fellas prefer/reach out for more and why?

Thank you.
I have to agree with my fellow Loungers, a BGCD for me. Basically due to the colour, but also, I have other Silverbelly hats which I think suit the colour better than a CD. That's just my opinion, though.
received_451863669225870.jpeg IMG_20210401_162220.jpg

I also prefer the BGGCD. I like my silverbelly, but the BGG is just more interesting to me. Mine came with a 1 1/2” ribbon replacement:

View attachment 425343 View attachment 425344
Well, hell. That's tempting. If I didn't like the thin ribbons on my Campdrafts so much...maybe when I'm a little more flush I'll get another BGG CD and have someone swap the skinny ribbon for a fat one so I'll have one of each. Decisions, decisions...

hambone71

Practically Family
So, here’s my conundrum; I ordered a sand CD in size 57 from DM. Now, I have a 57 in the angler, cattleman, and banjo Pat. All 57s were somewhat big on me but they have all been worn with some good sweats while out hiking about some wilderness trails with my beautiful RN nurse fiancé. Those 3 hats now fit like a glove. I have Lawson in 56 (no 57s in stock) which I was skeptical about and the salesman said one of the 56s seemed larger than the others. He advised me not to buy because I’m a 57. So….I bought it lol. It fit perfect rotb!

So here lies my dilemma; I received that 57 CD from DM and it would barley go on my head. It felt a half size smaller than my 56 Lawson. I thought I read in one of these threads that the CDs tend to run a little big. Well, DM didn’t have any 58s in stock so I just returned it for a refund. I turned right around and ordered a 57 CD from HD. I added a note during the checkout process explaining my issue and to ask them to put in a long oval for me. I gave them the short version. I just wanted to be confident that a true 57 would fit me like all the others, especially since I’m buying from overseas and not able to return it. Well, they took the sale and fulfilled the order but never responded to my remarks about sizing or LO. Anybody here dealt with anything similar? Should I be worried I’m gonna get another extra small hat? If I do, I guess I’ll have to put it up for sale.

So, here’s my conundrum; I ordered a sand CD in size 57 from DM. Now, I have a 57 in the angler, cattleman, and banjo Pat. All 57s were somewhat big on me but they have all been worn with some good sweats while out hiking about some wilderness trails with my beautiful RN nurse fiancé. Those 3 hats now fit like a glove. I have Lawson in 56 (no 57s in stock) which I was skeptical about and the salesman said one of the 56s seemed larger than the others. He advised me not to buy because I’m a 57. So….I bought it lol. It fit perfect rotb!

So here lies my dilemma; I received that 57 CD from DM and it would barley go on my head. It felt a half size smaller than my 56 Lawson. I thought I read in one of these threads that the CDs tend to run a little big. Well, DM didn’t have any 58s in stock so I just returned it for a refund. I turned right around and ordered a 57 CD from HD. I added a note during the checkout process explaining my issue and to ask them to put in a long oval for me. I gave them the short version. I just wanted to be confident that a true 57 would fit me like all the others, especially since I’m buying from overseas and not able to return it. Well, they took the sale and fulfilled the order but never responded to my remarks about sizing or LO. Anybody here dealt with anything similar? Should I be worried I’m gonna get another extra small hat? If I do, I guess I’ll have to put it up for sale.
You cannot change a regular oval to a long oval without tearing the hat down and reblocking from scratch. They likely could put the hat on a two way hat stretcher and elongate it a touch but only a nudge. If they can change it to a long oval without tearing it down I would love to see their process.

hambone71

Practically Family
You cannot change a regular oval to a long oval without tearing the hat down and reblocking from scratch. They likely could put the hat on a two way hat stretcher and elongate it a touch but only a nudge. If they can change it to a long oval without tearing it down I would love to see their process.
Thanks for the comments! I should’ve been more clear about my request for LO. My other hats from DM were steamed with a hat stretcher to give a long oval shape before they were shipped out to me. They have all held their shape well. This is also something I can do on my own as I did with my cattleman that came from Australian Gear. I’m actually more concerned with the overall sizing issue. I realize that there can be some variation in size from hat to hat marked with the same size. I’m hoping that the one from DM was just mis-sized.

Thanks for the comments! I should’ve been more clear about my request for LO. My other hats from DM were steamed with a hat stretcher to give a long oval shape before they were shipped out to me. They have all held their shape well. This is also something I can do on my own as I did with my cattleman that came from Australian Gear. I’m actually more concerned with the overall sizing issue. I realize that there can be some variation in size from hat to hat marked with the same size. I’m hoping that the one from DM was just mis-sized.
It is a bit of a crap shoot with any off the shelf hat ordered online. I am a size 59 but have size 60 Akubras that fit me perfectly.

...So here lies my dilemma; I received that 57 CD from DM and it would barley go on my head. It felt a half size smaller than my 56 Lawson. I thought I read in one of these threads that the CDs tend to run a little big...
HI Hambone, and welcome to The Lounge! Over the last decade or so I've acquired nine Akubra hats in different styles and colors; three Campdrafts, Three Fed IVs, and three Hamptons, all size 60, all but one of the Fed IVs the regular/Imperial Quality felt. After the expected "shrink to fit" period the Fed IVs all fit the same, the Hamptons all fit the same, but all three Campdrafts needed time on my Hat Jack because they were all too snug--wearable, but a bit too tight for comfort. So my experience has been that the Campdraft, for whatever reason, tends to run a little small, not big. I know this doesn't help with your current situation, but thought you might keep it in mind for future purchases.

hambone71

Practically Family
HI Hambone, and welcome to The Lounge! Over the last decade or so I've acquired nine Akubra hats in different styles and colors; three Campdrafts, Three Fed IVs, and three Hamptons, all size 60, all but one of the Fed IVs the regular/Imperial Quality felt. After the expected "shrink to fit" period the Fed IVs all fit the same, the Hamptons all fit the same, but all three Campdrafts needed time on my Hat Jack because they were all too snug--wearable, but a bit too tight for comfort. So my experience has been that the Campdraft, for whatever reason, tends to run a little small, not big. I know this doesn't help with your current situation, but thought you might keep it in mind for future purchases.
Great info and will lodge it for future purchases. I’m just playing the waiting game now. My thought is if 57 is a little big on me in other Akubras and take time to conform to my actual size, then a true 57 in a Campdraft that runs a little small should still fit, right???

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A g
I have got venders to check the hat size before shipping as well. HatsDirect and everything Australian do it.
Johnny

hambone71

Practically Family
A g

I have got venders to check the hat size before shipping as well. HatsDirect and everything Australian do it.
Johnny
Good to know! I explained my concern and issue with the 57 CD from DM in the comment section during checkout so maybe HD took the time to check the sizing before shipping. It’s in transit now. Would’ve been more comforting if I had received some sort of acknowledgment that my comments were read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21