Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

James71

A-List Customer
Ive been wearing my Cd for a few months now. General opinion is that the crown was left too high and it needed to come down somewhat. I went into the hattery this morning and got Trudi's opinion, (as a hat professional). She and my wife discussed it and they agreed it needed to come down. I have to admit that off the head it looked great, but on the head it appeared top heavy.

So I brought it home and gave it a good steam and rebash. I recalled that the pics on this very thread were the ones that drove me to get a CD in the first place, in particular the pics with the diamond bash. Ive tried a diamond bash before, on my glen grey CD and it came out more of a teardrop.

This time I think I have nailed it pretty much the way I envisaged, and it definitely looks better on the head. Before and after images submitted for your opinion:-

Before

CD2.jpg

CD3.jpg

After

Cdrebash2.jpg

Cdrebash1.jpg

Panda Moanium

New in Town
James71, Looks good, I definitely prefer it with the lower crown and diamond bash. In fact it is tempting me to consider adding the CD to my shortlist of next hat purchases, not a hat I had previously considered. Love the colour!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Good try. Just my 2cents worth, but a little more rake...higher at front and lower at back will give it a better look...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
A touch more, especially at that 3/4 point from the front. Wet it and push it down a little more...I know it`s late down under but a last try before bed time! You`ll feel better tomorrow:)

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Great looking Campdraft James. I've got the Taupe Fawn, now thanks to you, I've got to get the Silver Belly! Let us see how it looks on you!

God Bless,
Preacher Man

James71

A-List Customer
On the noggin

I was enjoying the beautiful early spring sunset this afternoon from my bench in the yard, wearing my newly rebashed Campdraft, of course. I was also enjoying a pipe of cherry cavendish.

(lectures on the evils of smoking not required in this forum - Im a big boy. :p )

Here are a few on the noggin shots of the CD, as requested above. I think it goes well with leather.

P9060008sm.jpg

P9060029sm.jpg

P9060045sm.jpg

P9060044sm.jpg

P9060049sm.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
James71, I do like the look of the "redesign". daizawaguy had some good advice. I'm thinking your CD is going to be getting lots of wear.:eusa_clap

James71 said:
I was enjoying the beautiful early spring sunset this afternoon from my bench in the yard, wearing my newly rebashed Campdraft, of course. I was also enjoying a pipe of cherry cavendish.

(lectures on the evils of smoking not required in this forum - Im a big boy. :p )

Here are a few on the noggin shots of the CD, as requested above. I think it goes well with leather.

P9060008sm.jpg

P9060029sm.jpg

P9060045sm.jpg

P9060044sm.jpg

P9060049sm.jpg

James,

You have quite a Jimmy Stewart look going on there, I like the hat and pipe.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damn it all!

I thought I would be satisfied after getting the Bluegrass Green, but now it looks like I'll have to get a Silverbelly as well lol.

Oh, and the BG should be coming early this week. The last 2.5 weeks have been torture.

Edward

Bartender
hatophile said:
James,

You have quite a Jimmy Stewart look going on there, I like the hat and pipe.

Yeah, nice pipe - a Falcon, I take it? Can't recall the date the bent stem model came in, but the straight Falcon was invented in 1936, eventually coming on to the consumer market in 1940. An appropriate choice for a Lounger, then!

James71

A-List Customer
Good eye Edward. It is indeed a falcon. Its not my most expensive pipe, but its surely the most well smoked. It gets more use than the rest of them put together.

Its been mine for quite a few years, and was second hand but unsmoked when I bought it, so I dont know what the vintage is. There were designed and patented in the late 30's, but most were sold in the 50's.

theinterchange

One Too Many
James71 said:

I wish I had looked half that good in the CD I briefly owned! :eusa_clap

Randy

P.S if the point of your previous post about going in to The Hattery was to rub the fact that you can just pop in there at will into the faces of those of us who only wish they could... you have succeeded in spades! :p lol ;)

frussell

One Too Many
3rd Silverbelly

Just got my 3rd Silverbelly Campdraft. Whenever I get itchy for a new hat, my Campdrafts seem to get sold or traded, but I always miss them. Silverbelly is my favorite color so far, so I'll see if I can hold on to this one. Meant to put it in the old Open Road Dallas Police Cattleman crease, but I always end up looking like Jackie Gleason from Smokey and the Bandit, so it went to my usual funky diamond. I've tried four or five different Akubra styles, and the Campdraft is definitely my favorite. Plus, Jenny in Katoomba is a tricky minx who always seems to have a rare size 63 in stock right when I have extra hat money. No 3 month wait for me, can't do it. Frank

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
frussell said:
Just got my 3rd Silverbelly Campdraft. Whenever I get itchy for a new hat, my Campdrafts seem to get sold or traded, but I always miss them. Silverbelly is my favorite color so far, so I'll see if I can hold on to this one.

I understand 3 Campdrafts, but three of the same color? You actually sold a silverbelly?

I currently own the Taupe Fawn, with a Bluegrass Green that should be delivered today or tomorrow. After that it'll be Silverbelly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters