Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Neophyte said:
DSC_0038-1.jpg
After the night in Monteagle, I'm not sure that hat looks like that anymore... [huh]

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel like I've been to Monteagle before...where is it?

Do you mean to say that:

(a) It got really dirty?

(b) It got damaged or crumpled?

or (c) Univibe changed it for some other reason?

Neophyte

Oi, so I got a question for you Loungers out there.

The block of the Akubra Campdraft is the most oval of all the hats I own, yet it is still VERY snug when place evenly on the top of my head. By that I mean that the front of the sweatband makes contact with my forehead about .5''-1'' above my eyebrow, and the back, well, is level and directly across.

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's level and not at an angle. It's quite snug.

I've come up with two answers to this problem. One is that I may be a Long Oval. The other is that the hat may just be sitting too low on my head, or isn't meant to be worn level.

Can you guys help me with this? I'm not too familiar with blocks, ovals, or in fact how exactly to wear a hat lol! Whatever we come up with may decide both my future hat purchases and possible alterations to my current hats, so all answers are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
If you buy a modern factory-made hat and it's snug front-to-back with space on the sides, you're a long oval, my friend.

7 3/8 AND Long Oval!!!

:eusa_doh:

...............damn it all...

Does anyone remember if HatsDirect can reblock a hat before sending it to you?
How about EverythingAustralian?
...I'll send them emails right now, but I'm not gonna get an answer back until, at best, 12 o'clock tomorrow morn!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Oi, so I got a question for you Loungers out there.

The block of the Akubra Campdraft is the most oval of all the hats I own, yet it is still VERY snug when place evenly on the top of my head. By that I mean that the front of the sweatband makes contact with my forehead about .5''-1'' above my eyebrow, and the back, well, is level and directly across.

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's level and not at an angle. It's quite snug.

I've come up with two answers to this problem. One is that I may be a Long Oval. The other is that the hat may just be sitting too low on my head, or isn't meant to be worn level.

Can you guys help me with this? I'm not too familiar with blocks, ovals, or in fact how exactly to wear a hat lol! Whatever we come up with may decide both my future hat purchases and possible alterations to my current hats, so all answers are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Ron from Hats Direct passed this tip on to me that helped me out with my Squatter. Since the hat in question is a Campdraft, unwind the wind trolley from around the crown. Then place the front of the hat over your knee, then grabbing the back of the hat at the sweatband, on the inside of the crown, stretch it front to back. This will create a little more oval for you with this hat.

Neophyte

Chuck Bobuck said:
Ron from Hats Direct passed this tip on to me that helped me out with my Squatter. Since the hat in question is a Campdraft, unwind the wind trolley from around the crown. Then place the front of the hat over your knee, then grabbing the back of the hat at the sweatband, on the inside of the crown, stretch it front to back. This will create a little more oval for you with this hat.

I cut the wind trolley off, as it started to come loose. I can do the over-the-knee trick, in fact I recommended it to somebody a few weeks back, but won't this eventually create some taper?

I'm really asking this question as I'm trying to learn more about what I need in a hat.

From my first hat, the dark brown FedIV, I learned that I do not like dimensional brims, that I do not like dark brown, and that I needed to work on my shaping skills.

From my carbon grey Fedora, I learned that my head requires a more oval block, that I do not like raw edges, that I do not look good with a tapered crown, and that I still needed to work with my shaping skills. I also learned that I really like the carbon grey color.

From the willow green Squatter, I learned that I like wider brims, and I learned how to trim a brim. I also learned that green is one of my FAVORITE colors for a hat, and that my shaping skills were almost up to par.

From the taupe fawn Campdraft, the most oval-crowned hat I own, I learned that I like lighter-color hats, that I can rock a thin-ribbon as well as a wide-ribbon, that I love tall, untapered crowns, and apparently that I am a LONG OVAL. I also learned that I can finally shape a hat right, or at least a proper teardrop/tugboat lol.

My next hat purchase will build on my initial successes (and more numerous "failures") and can only greater show my progress in acquiring knowledge and skill in all things "hat (fedora)".

A Bluegrass Green Campdraft reblocked Long Oval is looking to me like the next step up in my journey of self-discovery :) .

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Man, after that post, I wish I could come up with some witty line that I could end in "Grasshoppah."

How, exactly did the wind trolley start to come loose? I mean, you've got to be able to loosen them to use them. When you're done, you wind them back on the hat and tighten them up again . . .

Neophyte

Spats McGee said:
Man, after that post, I wish I could come up with some witty line that I could end in "Grasshoppah."

How, exactly did the wind trolley start to come loose? I mean, you've got to be able to loosen them to use them. When you're done, you wind them back on the hat and tighten them up again . . .

Well, I don't know how they're set up originally. After a while of wearing the hat, taking it on and off, flipping it upside down and back over again, the little loop just loosens and the button starts to stray away from the crown of the hat. I could tighten it again, but the same phenomenon occurs just as quickly. Had I some kind of pin, I'm sure I could just pin it in place, but really the only thing keeping it there, AFAICT, is friction, and friction just doesn't cut it.

This occurs, mind ya, without me actually ever touching the wind trolley. Just happens with wear, or at least how I wear 'em lol.

...could be I'm just doing it wrong. All I can say is *snip snip* lol.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Might as well cut it off because it's pretty much useless. I just left mine on because it came that way and it doesn't bother me.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Well, yeah, the discussion was about wind trolleys, the last thing you said regarding said wind trolley was "*snip snip*" so what else would I be talking about cutting off? [huh]

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
Well, yeah, the discussion was about wind trolleys, the last thing you said regarding said wind trolley was "*snip snip*" so what else would I be talking about cutting off? [huh]

...hmmm...I'm floundering on whether or not I should continue with this, as it may be inappropriate for TFL lol lol lol!

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
I wouldn't, but that's just me.

lol

...So, what we've learned over in the in the "Ask A Question, Get An Answer" thread is that I'm basically the same head size as JimmyTheLid, a size 59 Long Oval, or as he puts it, an Akubra size 60 (lol).

I can stretch the Campdraft OTK, but this doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, and doesn't stretch it enough to relieve the feeling of pressure on my forehead (and as I expect, the subsequent headache).

I'm starting to think hair growth is affecting me, in which case I need to decide whether to get a haircut or to buy a larger size.

...It may very well be that I will need to have in my rotation hats that fill a Long Hair and Short Hair niche. Is there anyone out there that has devised something as equally elaborate?

James71

A-List Customer
When my silverbelly CD starts to get a little snug I know its time for a haircut.

Oh, and just a personal thing. I love the wind trolley, but then, Im an old school kind of guy.

Neophyte

James71 said:
When my silverbelly CD starts to get a little snug I know its time for a haircut.

Oh, and just a personal thing. I love the wind trolley, but then, Im an old school kind of guy.

Oh, make no mistake, I love the look of the wind trolley. Once it starts to loosen up, though, it starts to look kinda tacky.

I'm guessing I maybe should've asked my fellow Loungers how to re-tighten that wind trolley loop. I'll keep that in mind whenver I pull the trigger on that Bluegrass Green CD.

James71

A-List Customer
Im wondering how you have your wind trolley configured. Ive got them on both my CDs and neither move very much. On the odd occasion that they come a little loose after sitting on their crown I just slide the button toward the back a little and tighten it up...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Your mentioning the Bluegrass Green Campdraft makes me ache with longing because I have to wait until Christmastime for the one I pre-ordered from EA to come in. :( I guess the BG is more of a specialty item so the 3-month rule for special orders doesn't apply. It's just whenever they get them in.

Neophyte

James71 said:
Im wondering how you have your wind trolley configured. Ive got them on both my CDs and neither move very much. On the odd occasion that they come a little loose after sitting on their crown I just slide the button toward the back a little and tighten it up...

To be honest, I don't even really touch the wind trolleys. They just loosen on their own and I'm not enough of a loop expert to keep it tight...or maybe I just haven't cared enough...I don't know.

The point is, with my luck, the button comes loose and I cut it off instead of taking the time to tighten it lol.

I will be more tolerant with the BG CD, because I honestly do like the look of the wind trolley, especially the button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum