Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking at the news section on Akubra's website. They posted their top ten selling hats for 2010
http://akubra.com.au/news/?p=399#top
Our top 10 selling hats at present are…..
• Cattleman

• Snowy River

• Coober Pedy

• Territory

• The Arena

• Bronco

• Rough Rider

• Tablelands

• Traveller

• Coolabah

Campdraft no where in sight.

Apparently the outdoors hat market prevails with Akubra. I wouldn't have guessed that, as I am focused on their more urban styles.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Apparently the outdoors hat market prevails with Akubra. I wouldn't have guessed that, as I am focused on their more urban styles.
It could also be that a major portion on their sales is local and it would make sense that the locals might want outdoor hats given their environment.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

It's a far more "rural" type of invironment over there than we live in here in the US. They have not become quite as "cityfied" as we have and the kind of rough & tumble roots are still evident in their society more than in ours. It's what makes them unique in the world :) Not to say the are not as "civilized" as we, I just feel from the Aussie's I have met and worked with, they have an honesty and attitude toward life we might want to look at. With all that said, Akubra's MAIN market IS AUSTRALIA so it stands to reason they would focus MORE on it's needs :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Damn straight we do! The sheer number of new bluegrass owners alone since December could probably give us all the support we need. A heritage-level CD might re-instill my Campdraft-lust.

Exactly HOW MANY hats were sold the last time this group were able to get a "custom run" from Akubra through one of it's Aussie retailers? I realize that Akubra is one of the major players in the diminishing world of felt hat manufacturers, but is still small enough to do this sort of thing I just question if doing a change of felt grade would be as readily agreed to and if the cost factor may increase substantially as any unsold stock would mess up model sales in the homeland. I'll bet you could get the color run a lot easier than a felt change. For myself, the Moonstone color is my least favorite color they do so I would not be ordering one for sure! To pastel a blue for me !! :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
Mixed feelings re. a Moonstone CD here. I love the Camp Draft and have three colors already. I also have three Stylemasters, with the Moonstone being my favorite - and my wife's favorite of all. I have probably received more compliments on the Moonstone Stylemaster than any other hat. I tend to wear this hat when I am more "dressed up" (suit, sportcoat,etc.) and by association I may view the Moonstone as a more formal color as well. I would have to see a pic of a Moonstone CD before committing.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I know this much. The felt on my Akubra RM Williams is way different than on my campdraft. The quality of the RM Williams felt is noticably better. It's softer and shapes easier. The only Akubra felt I have that comes close to it is that funky sundowner. The others are very nice, but the RM is on a different level.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I know this much. The felt on my Akubra RM Williams is way different than on my campdraft. The quality of the RM Williams felt is noticably better. It's softer and shapes easier. The only Akubra felt I have that comes close to it is that funky sundowner. The others are very nice, but the RM is on a different level.

That's interesting to know. I have wanted an RM, but couldn't justify the price, so maybe it is worth it to me.

Randy

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is interesting. I was unaware of the RM Williams. In one merchant's photo, it looks like a Campdraft. Can you tell me how the dimensions are different from the Campdraft, how you like it compared to a Campdraft, and how well it might do in the rain? In other words, does better felt mean you have to treat it better, because I would buy a Campdraft partly for its weatherworthiness.

Trying to get a Heritage version of the Campdraft was first mentioned in this thread back in October of 2008, right after that we lobbied for the Glen Grey version with Hats Direct & they came thru. I think they need a minimum of 50 to do a special order but can't seem to find that here. I may have an old email on home PC about it from the first Moonstone CD attempt.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Randy - for me, Akubra's version of "Silverbelly" is sand-colored. Do you want something more brown?

I briefly owned a silverbelly CD last year. It was far too yellow for my taste, or rather my skin tone. The sands I've seen in photos are more brown/tan tinted than the silverbelly. Now that was my experience with ONE silverbelly, I know that another from a different batch could be slightly different in color, so I haven't discounted the idea of purchasing another...

But still a Fed [or similarly proportioned hat] in sand with a contrasting ribbon would look killer.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
This is interesting. I was unaware of the RM Williams. In one merchant's photo, it looks like a Campdraft. Can you tell me how the dimensions are different from the Campdraft, how you like it compared to a Campdraft, and how well it might do in the rain? In other words, does better felt mean you have to treat it better, because I would buy a Campdraft partly for its weatherworthiness.
I think the dimensions are the same as a campdraft. I've had it soaked and it does great. It's a tough hat with real nice felt.

James71

A-List Customer
Akubra sales are dominated by the country styles by far in Australia. Over here 'akubra' is a synonym for country style hat, so all pervading is their control of that market.

The cattleman is the standard issue of many businesses and gov departments where people have to work outdoors. (my dept included). The snowy river is the hat practically every tourist buys, but hardly anyone I know wears one.

In spite of wearing slivers all my life I had never seen a CD until I started hanging out here. Hats direct doesn't even have them out on display, but have them out the back.

The urban style hats are a very small part of Akubra's custom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy