Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Great, thanks. So the crown is not too tall for you, or at least not taller than Campdraft, I take it. Where did you buy yours? I'm looking on the Net but see few sellers.

I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the same. Not much "snap" or "curl" to the brim, though. I bought mine off of a lounger and changed the bash from the RM to what it is now.

fmw

One Too Many
I would say the Australian country style hat is the most frequently seen felt hat around here in the Midwest U.S. While I see them seldom, American western hats are even rarer. You need to go to the South or West to see them. Right or wrong they would call a felt hat with a wide brim turned down an outback hat around here. I would guess there is about one Akubra to every 20,000 baseball caps in my area.

DarthBish

Familiar Face
Akubra sales are dominated by the country styles by far in Australia. Over here 'akubra' is a synonym for country style hat, so all pervading is their control of that market.

The cattleman is the standard issue of many businesses and gov departments where people have to work outdoors. (my dept included). The snowy river is the hat practically every tourist buys, but hardly anyone I know wears one.

In spite of wearing slivers all my life I had never seen a CD until I started hanging out here. Hats direct doesn't even have them out on display, but have them out the back.

The urban style hats are a very small part of Akubra's custom.

Yup....What 'he' said..

Infact, I know precisely two people that own Akubras that aren't "Cattleman" or "Snowy River" styles....and I'm one of them...(the other's a mate)

I see the occasional "Pastoralist", but I can honestly say I've never seen a CD or a Fed IV on a passerby's head.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Silvers is the damn iPhone autocorrecting the word "akubra" just to pi$$ me off.

Apple "efficiency" at work!

Randy

P.S This is no joke. Today my dad's MacBook suddenly lost sound in web browsers and he asked for my help. As I was walking in the room, he was typing in "no sound in web browser" or something very similar into Safari's "Help" section... not a SINGLE help result it turned up even had the word sound in the title.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yup....What 'he' said..

Infact, I know precisely two people that own Akubras that aren't "Cattleman" or "Snowy River" styles....and I'm one of them...(the other's a mate)

I see the occasional "Pastoralist", but I can honestly say I've never seen a CD or a Fed IV on a passerby's head.

Then it's like cars. Nobody buys Buicks in America, but they're big in China.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Interesting observation, danofarlington. All of the Stateside Chinese folks I know drive either Lexus, Mercedes, or Toyota, I guess it's the Chinese nationals who drive the Buicks.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting observation, danofarlington. All of the Stateside Chinese folks I know drive either Lexus, Mercedes, or Toyota, I guess it's the Chinese nationals who drive the Buicks.

Yes, I mean Chinese in China. So I read in the news magazines at any rate. Apparently Buick counts on its foreign sales, particularly in China, to float the brand. They buy them there because somehow they are prestigious. Oh well, there's no accounting for tastes.

Getting back On Topic of Campdrafts, I am not encouraged that we can get a Heritage level CD with just mail order demand. I don't think the numbers are out there like the Indiana Jones crowd for the Federation line.
I'd like to politely request that James run our idea by the Hats Direct folks to see what would be the parameters to get it considered. How many & what sizes would we have to cover before they'd take a shot at a Heritage of any color???

DarthBish

Familiar Face
Getting back On Topic of Campdrafts, I am not encouraged that we can get a Heritage level CD with just mail order demand. I don't think the numbers are out there like the Indiana Jones crowd for the Federation line.
I'd like to politely request that James run our idea by the Hats Direct folks to see what would be the parameters to get it considered. How many & what sizes would we have to cover before they'd take a shot at a Heritage of any color???

I believe Akubra require a minimum order of 50

We don't seem to be at 50 yet.
Here is my last attempt to get the Moonstone CD run plus a Heritage version =

Hi Tom,

We have been in contact with Ron and we will not be doing a Moonstone Campdraft any time soon - certainly not this side of Xmas.

Best regards,
Jenny Nethercote
sales@hatsdirect.com

The Hattery
2/197 Katoomba Street,
Katoomba, 2780
Australia

Phone: 02 4782 5003
Int:+ 61 2 4782 5003
Fax: 02 4782 6265

Tom Dean wrote:
Any news to if this hat can happen?

Thanks,

td

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:16 AM
To: info@hatsdirect.com
Subject: Akubra Campdraft in Moonstone
Importance: High

Ron & Company,

Last fall, you were successful in getting a run of Campdraft hats from Akubra in Glen Grey.

I & some of my fellow hat enthusiast on The Fedora Lounge, www.thefedoralounge.com , purchased these great hats in this exquisite color.

We were wondering if there is a way to get a run of Campdrafts in the very popular Moonstone color?

Also, is there a way to explore having them in the Heritage collection style?

Let me know what I can help to determine market interest or if there is a minimum number to reach.

Kind Regards,

Tom Dean

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
I would be in for a size 58 CD in Moonstone. Rare colour overall. Very few standard models produced by Akubra in that shade of grey(Stylemaster and maybe a couple of others in their fashion line). I would be very content to have it in the Akubra Imperial felt so if that makes it easier to swing some production count me in. DM has their Squatter exclusively offered in Moonstone, but I think only HD has a Fed IV Moonstone in Heritage quality felt.

Imperial might be an easier way to go and whoever sells them might feel less on the hook to try and move them at a lower price point.

I hope we can actually make a go of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR