Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That's great. Chuck's Glen Grey in those pics looks like my Moonstone in real life, so now I know it'll be a little darker.

One other Q about the CD: Does the brim come practically flat, or is it curled more like a snap brim, at least in the rear? I can snap down and shape the forebrim, but getting the curl I like to the rear brim is tough.

Here's my Mid-Brown CD showing it's flanging as is done by the factory. My Bushman and all my Squatters are as this one is. How much "curl" do you need ?

27850008.jpg

27850005.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've sent Jenny a note to see which colors they have on hand in my size. Does the CD tend to be a little small in a given size like the Feds? On HD's advice I ordered 57 cm on both my Feds, and with some padding they worked out fine on my size 7 head.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I've sent Jenny a note to see which colors they have on hand in my size. Does the CD tend to be a little small in a given size like the Feds? On HD's advice I ordered 57 cm on both my Feds, and with some padding they worked out fine on my size 7 head.

NO, they fit like other Akubras. Because of the block used for the FED's, this style does run a but smaller for a given size.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I wear a 7 3/8 (59) and my CD is that size and has "sized down" to fit perfectly. From what I have experienced and read here, order your hat size and they will be just a bit big but will "size down" with wear and rain.

frussell

One Too Many
I always order a size big on all Akubras, including Fed IVs and Campdrafts. In my experience, the Campdraft sizing isn't any different than the Fed IV. Get the size you got before that worked for you. I'm sure others have had different experiences. Easier to get one to "snug down" with wear than to keep stretching again and again. Frank

I have both Fed4 & Campdraft & ordered my actual size = 61. The Campdraft seemed to be larger but snugged up nicely with wear, even the Heritage CD Deluxe.
Order your size.

sandyg

New in Town
I have a BG Camp Draft that I bought one size bigger (62 when I wear a 61). It was too big but after wearing it in the rain a few times it is now a little snug. I have to use a hat stretcher occasionally. The next one I buy will be two sizes too big if I know it will be a rain hat. I would only order my actual size if I knew that it would never get wet.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have a BG Camp Draft that I bought one size bigger (62 when I wear a 61). It was too big but after wearing it in the rain a few times it is now a little snug. I have to use a hat stretcher occasionally. The next one I buy will be two sizes too big if I know it will be a rain hat. I would only order my actual size if I knew that it would never get wet.

I haven't EVER had to buy ANY Akubra two sizes big to fit after wearing in the rain in over 30 years. Buy your size :)

T Rick

Practically Family
FWIW, I have two Camp Drafts, a BG and the Heritage SB. Both were ordered in 57, and I wear a 7 1/8 regularly (head measures 22 3/8). I've worn both in the rain, and they fit me fine. Glad I didn't go for a 58. The Fed IV is a different animal, being the ONLY one HD suggests ordering in a size up from your normal size. For the CD, I'd suggest you just buy your size. When I get around to finally ordering a Fed IV, it'll be a 58.

sandyg

New in Town
I haven't EVER had to buy ANY Akubra two sizes big to fit after wearing in the rain in over 30 years. Buy your size :)

I wear mine in the rain to the point that the hat gets soaked. I train my Labrador retriever for field trials so it's nothing for me to be in the field in the rain for hours at a time. I let the hat dry naturally indoors but it still shrinks. My experience has been that with this kind of use I would buy a 63 next time and it would shrink down to fit my 61 melon perfectly. The hat looks great even with this extreme use!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I wear mine in the rain to the point that the hat gets soaked. I train my Labrador retriever for field trials so it's nothing for me to be in the field in the rain for hours at a time. I let the hat dry naturally indoors but it still shrinks. My experience has been that with this kind of use I would buy a 63 next time and it would shrink down to fit my 61 melon perfectly. The hat looks great even with this extreme use!
I too have worn my Akubra's in the rain till soaked thru to where the lining is wet and have not encountered the shrinking some folks seem to experience. I have used a hat jack for almost 30 years now as well when drying out a thoughly soaked one which may help I'm sure. Turn the sweat out for about the first hour then back in and in goes the hat-jack. By next day or two, pop out the hat-jack and alls good! :)

DougC

Practically Family
Funny thing--when I ordered my Heritage CD, Hatsdirect suggested that I order a 58 (7 1/4?) and I wear a 7 or a 7 1/8--the reason given was that the hat would likely shrink! As this was my first Akubra, I went with the advice given. I have just recently worn the hat in the rain and it has gotten a bit smaller. It sits a little lower on my head than my Stetsons, but, I like it better because the felt is thick AND pliable--the Stetsons are vintage Deluxe ORs in size 7, one OR sized-down 7 1/8 (7 1/16th custom?), and a 3x OR in 7 LO that was becoming moth food. The 58 fits more like the sized-down 7 1/8--still a little bigger. Unlike Montbla, I don't use a hat jack.

MCrider

A-List Customer
My BG Camp Draft came in today. Actually I met the mailman at the box and he just smiled and asked if I was waiting for something. By now he's gotten used to me having hats showing up. Anyway, I agree with jkingrph in that it was a bit darker than I thought it was, but it is a really nice color. The crown is a bit tall for me, but I'm working on it on how I want it creased. I'll post pics once I settle on something.

jkingrph

Practically Family
My BG Camp Draft came in today. Actually I met the mailman at the box and he just smiled and asked if I was waiting for something. By now he's gotten used to me having hats showing up. Anyway, I agree with jkingrph in that it was a bit darker than I thought it was, but it is a really nice color. The crown is a bit tall for me, but I'm working on it on how I want it creased. I'll post pics once I settle on something.

I hear that about the postman, UPS delivery also. My dog has recognized the sound of the UPS truck turning the corner and alerts us before he arrives.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The crown is a bit tall for me

When my BGCD arrived, it was the first hat I'd ever worn - the crown seemed huge!

I followed the Jimmy the Lid teardrop crease tutorial and tried to make the crown come out as low as possible. It still felt as though I was wearing a ten gallon hat when I went outside.

Since then, I've realized that the CD crown isn't really that high at all, I have a bunch of hats that are higher and I've re-creased the CD to a center crease to try and maintain as much of the height as I can.

I'm sure your experience will be much the same - to start with it seems really tall, but wear it for a bit and it just isn't a big deal; it's just a really good hat!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I guess I've left it too late to order a CD and have it get here before the 22nd, when my Christmas break starts. I really don't want to trek down to the campus mailroom between Christmas and New Year's, and I wouldn't want it to sit there until I come back to work on Jan. 3. But there's still next year --!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy