Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Banky

One of the Regulars
I've seen several pictures of the Heritage grade Moonstone campdraft. I'm looking for more of a mid-gray colored hat, does moonstone fit the bill? I ask because I've seen some pictures where moonstone gets dangerously close to white which I'm uninterested in, and I've seen several where it's very mid gray which is what I want. Can anyone clarify the color?

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I've seen several pictures of the Heritage grade Moonstone campdraft. I'm looking for more of a mid-gray colored hat, does moonstone fit the bill? I ask because I've seen some pictures where moonstone gets dangerously close to white which I'm uninterested in, and I've seen several where it's very mid gray which is what I want. Can anyone clarify the color?

I don't have the Moonstone CD, but I do have a Moonstone Fed IV in Heritage fur. Photo below. It's a fairly accurate portrayal of the color of my Fed.

I don't think Moonstone goes towards white. If anything, it goes towards blue. It's definitely a mid-gray color.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I've got 4 Akubras in Moonstone Grey. They're definitely medium gray, not light gray:
-Fed IV
-CD
-Squatter
-Stylemaster
I recently tried to order the Turin too (same colour) but it's been discontinued...[huh]

You might be hard pressed to get a cattleman/alpine crease photo in a moonstone or glen grey CD.
I think I've seem a silverbelly done that way (to mimic an OR) but most here go for a fedora crease = centerdent, teardrop, diamond, c-crease,...
Does anyone have pics of a campdraft in Moonstone and/or Glen Grey with a Cattlemens bash? If there is such a thing is this thread, I missed it. I am happy to be redirected to post xxxxx.

E

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I haven't studied up on the campdraft dimensions but I'm led to believe they're almost identical to the open roads. ? Occasionally the open roads show up in grey, and you might find a cattleman crease there, as gtdean suggested. Or you can try and digitally edit the hat color on your computer, which I've done (very primitively) on occasion.
I seem to recall lounge member atticusfinch preferring the cattleman and possibly having a few different colors.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Landman

One Too Many
Does anyone have pics of a campdraft in Moonstone and/or Glen Grey with a Cattlemens bash? If there is such a thing is this thread, I missed it. I am happy to be redirected to post xxxxx.

E

I have several Campdrafts in different colors with a Cattleman's crease. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but I will take some tonight when I get home.

The Campdraft takes a Cattleman's crease very well. It is essentially the same dimensions as an Open Road but the brim is a tad longer at 2 7/8" where most Open Roads are 2 3/4". I have never measured it but I think the Campdraft crown has a little more height too. At least it seems that way to me.

Landman

One Too Many
I forgot I had this on my iPad. It is a Moonstone Campdraft with a Cattleman's crease. Not a very good picture but better than nothing.

image_zps6b11f67c.jpg

enrique

New in Town
I forgot I had this on my iPad. It is a Moonstone Campdraft with a Cattleman's crease. Not a very good picture but better than nothing.

image_zps6b11f67c.jpg

This pic sealed the deal. It looks exactly like the OR my great grand dad and great uncles wore in West Texas. I got no idea if it will look good on me, but there is only one way to find out. I just hope the shipping from hats direct is closer to 10 days than 3 months. No we play the waiting game. And my 5 year old will no longer come in the office to declare "you can't spend all day looking at hats!"

Thanks to those of ya'll who have answered my many questions about the OR and the CD in this quest.

E

frussell

One Too Many
I know it's not the color you asked for, but here's a few of a Campdraft in a "cattleman's crease." This one is silverbelly, which is more like sand in Resistol or Stetson, less gray, more tan. Frank.

enrique

New in Town
I know it's not the color you asked for, but here's a few of a Campdraft in a "cattleman's crease." This one is silverbelly, which is more like sand in Resistol or Stetson, less gray, more tan. Frank.

This hat's brim is more what I am interested in. But the stetson OR's traition in my family was definitely on the grey side. I am really looking forward to getting this CD. I hope an expensive habit is not in the making...

Landman

One Too Many
Enrique,

You will be very pleased with a Campdraft and Hatsdirect ships very quickly. Mine have always arrived in 10 days or less.

The front brim on mine is down in that photo but it easily snaps back up for a more traditional Open Road look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy