Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

I think that the idea of an open crown which allows you some self expression and individuality as to the "bash" has some tremendous advantages for those that are pursuing an individual "look." The other choice is either pre-bashed or taking it to a hatter and using a block. The advantage to using a block is the crispness of the results. i can never get my bashing efforts to look crisp.

My personal preference is to not have the inner dome rise above the sides of the crease when viewing from a profile.
CD's have lots of crown to work with & as long as you don't pinch it in too tight can take lots of creasing...

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Richard - thanks. I have to admit I'm pleased with the results.

John - you're so right about the crispness. This bash took truly hours. Would a professional with a block have done a better job? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. With an Akubra - to me the whole idea is that it's going to take some hard use. And so this bash two years from now will look quite different than it does today. In fact, after moving my daughter's stuff up three flights of stairs tomorrow into her new apartment, I suspect this hat will have acquired some character to it that I had not originally intended. But that's what an Akubra is for.

Banky

One of the Regulars
The diamond block we'd use for that wouldn't necessarily do a better job, It'd just be faster. The lines would also be very crisp. All we do is steam it, put it on the block, put the topper on and put it under the sandbagger for about 10 minutes. We do it if someone specifically requests a diamond in a custom hat. In my personal hats, I prefer to do it by hand. The imperfects give it character and make it feel more like mine.

RBH

Bartender
Hi Andy

My new Buckaroo hatter John Wayne hat has the diamond crease, I like the way that crease looks. Good job on the DIY.

Later

14zx0.jpg

hpim1429mn9.jpg

hpim1430cq7.jpg

A few photos of the diamond crease* Major Moore did for me on my first hat from him.
The ''TVA'' crease stirred up a bit of interest‎ at the time.

* I try not to use bash anymore. Anyone can bash a hat... but it takes a little more to crease one.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
My Imperial grade Taupe Fawn Camp Draft on left and my Heritage grade Heritage Fawn Fed IV Deluxe on right.

In terms of the quality of the fur, there is no comparison, as the Heritage grade is much thicker, and I believe has more depth of color. But each has its place.

Wow the one on the left looks fantastic. Where did you get it and how did you get that crease?

I think that the idea of an open crown which allows you some self expression and individuality as to the "bash" has some tremendous advantages for those that are pursuing an individual "look."...
Absolutely. Also, if you're going for an "authentic" 30s-40s look, creasing your hat(s) by hand is the way to go. Since I've become more of a hat wearer I've been paying more attention to the hats the actors wore in movies from the 30s and 40s, something I didn't really pay much attention to in previous years, and I'm often surprised by how "sloppy" some of the hats look.

DougC

Practically Family
Pulled the liner out of my CD today for a cowboy shoot and have to admit, this hat is incredibly versatile...95 degrees and not terribly hot.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pulled the liner out of my CD today for a cowboy shoot and have to admit, this hat is incredibly versatile...95 degrees and not terribly hot.
I'll second that. I pulled the liner out of my BGCD and ran around 100 Ft Worth a few weeks ago no problem. I just decided at that temperature its just going to be hot not matter what you are wearing. The sunlight was so intense it would have been much worse with no hat.

enrique

New in Town
My Heritage Campdraft just arrived today and I have been fiddeling with the bash/brim before I post a pic. I really love the Open Road "rolled up" brim, but I would also liketo see what my brim would look like more of a cowboy hat style on the brim. If I tried that, is getting it back to the rolled up style simple a matter of getting it wet/steaming it again and shaping it back the way it was? I have never had a snap brim hat before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy