Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Genseng and Hoodoo welcome to the Lounge! You're going to enjoy it here! Ginseng; I've had my eye on a Moonstone CD-D for some time. I've got a CD-D Silverbelly, love that hat, goes with anything in my humble opinion. When you get that Moonstone be sure and share it with us. I'm anxious to see it.
Hoodoo, glad to hear about your Silverbelly CD. I believe you'll really like that hat. Take some pics of it on your head and share with us. It's always good to see new members. Thanks for joining us Genseng and Hoodoo!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
After 17 days I've just recieved my 2nd Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green. Sam (EA) picked a wonderful hat for me. Its a tad "roomier" than the Silverbelly which is actually better for my head and its less stiff too! Wonderful hat.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Received a Silverbelly CD from HatsDirect to replace the moonstone that was lost in transit. Only took 10 days for the replacement to arrive.
Hat looks damm good, and fits my oversized head quite well after introducing it to Mr. Stretcher. Felt is extremely stiff, and wasn’t very happy when asked to respond to a good steam. Guess I will try the distilled water method to give it a teardrop bash and get the brim to snap down.

Received a Silverbelly CD from HatsDirect to replace the moonstone that was lost in transit...Felt is extremely stiff, and wasn’t very happy when asked to respond to a good steam. Guess I will try the distilled water method to give it a teardrop bash and get the brim to snap down.
My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was like that when I received it; I think Akubra used as much stiffener on it as they had on my other three Akubras combined. It took a bit of effort just to snap the front of the brim down, and the hat strenuously resisted my attempts to dry-shape the crown into a preliminary shape. But once my liberal application of distilled water had soaked into the felt, the hat realized the error of it's ways and it happily allowed me to shape it as I desired. You just have to be smarter and more determined than the hat. lol

It could be worse......the best hat shop in Vancouver sells the Adventurer and the Sydney for $300 Canadian dollars. That is more than twice the price that Sam at EA charges. I bought my Sydney from them at 30% off and thought I had a real score until I saw the prices from Sam. From now on it is Sam for my Akubras.

bartcubb

New in Town
That price is laughable. Almost $100 more like twice the price for the same hat from Sam at EA.

It is a lot to pay just to avoid the 3 month wait and any international shipping issues. Still, if they had it in the light gray color I would be at least a little tempted. I've paid more for lesser quality hats. I wonder if this means the door is now open for other US dealers to pick up the Campdraft.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It is a lot to pay just to avoid the 3 month wait and any international shipping issues. Still, if they had it in the light gray color I would be at least a little tempted. I've paid more for lesser quality hats. I wonder if this means the door is now open for other US dealers to pick up the Campdraft.

I know. The 3 month wait is a killer. If u get lucky and find the right hat from Sam you can get it shipped the next day and sometimes he has only a 2 week wait if u hit it right.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could be worse......the best hat shop in Vancouver sells the Adventurer and the Sydney for $300 Canadian dollars. That is more than twice the price that Sam at EA charges. I bought my Sydney from them at 30% off and thought I had a real score until I saw the prices from Sam. From now on it is Sam for my Akubras.

I noted on another thread recently that Barney's in Manhattan was offering a Borsalino Sisal at $380 while over at Bencraft in Brooklyn, a 15 minute subway ride away, they were selling the same hat for $180. I suppose that the folks who shop at Barney's these days wouldn't dare to venture underground, but for $200? I'm gonna have to get myself a trust fund.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
I noted on another thread recently that Barney's in Manhattan was offering a Borsalino Sisal at $380 while over at Bencraft in Brooklyn, a 15 minute subway ride away, they were selling the same hat for $180. I suppose that the folks who shop at Barney's these days wouldn't dare to venture underground, but for $200? I'm gonna have to get myself a trust fund.

Folks who shop at Barneys at 61st and Madison are a different breed from hardcore FD members, so I wouldn't expect them to visit Borough Park Brooklyn for any reason...2 very different worlds, 2 very different types of shoppers. They might, however, cross over to visit the "trendy" shops in Williamsburg.

BTW...it's actually more like a 45 - 60 minute ride via subway. :)

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Folks who shop at Barneys at 61st and Madison are a different breed from hardcore FD members, so I wouldn't expect them to visit Borough Park Brooklyn for any reason...2 very different worlds, 2 very different types of shoppers. They might, however, cross over to visit the "trendy" shops in Williamsburg.

BTW...it's actually more like a 45 - 60 minute ride via subway. :)

Hi all, only my second post. I can recall when Williamsburg wasn't so "trendy", I grew up there, at least for the first 18 years. Certainly has become gentrified. As to Akubra Campdrafts, received my bluegrass last week from EA, took almost a month but worth the wait. My other CD is a Deluxe in silver belly from hats direct purchased about 2-3 years ago. Love both. Funny, in my younger days I traveled to Manhattan to shop at Barneys, purchased quite few Borsos from Worth and Worth, some of which I still have, vintage early seventies, several more recent (last ten years or so) from Bencraft and Del Monico's.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hadn't realized Barney's had moved from their downtown quarters. And I'm very aware of the kind of people who shop at Barney's these days: hence my comment about the trust funds. Trickle-down economics hasn't trickled much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy