Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all the replies! Kind of confirmed what I was thinking. The bluegrass is an awesome color but the sand would probably work better as a foundational hat.
The sand is more of the “classic/typical” open road colour. Just keep in mind if you are the type to manhandle your hats it can get dingy/grimy sooner than later. The bluegrass green is a great colour and hides dirt well.
Johnny

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Hi Friends:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a sand Campdraft from David Morgan. I have three Akubras and adore them-- it's a good thing Delmonico only has two colors in Stylemaster or I'd be in big trouble.

I have a question about bashing the Campmaster. I have a Strat open crown that I bought last year or so, the new release. I was trying to get a cattleman's crease in it (yes, using steam) and just was never happy with it. I wound up with a teardrop and lowered the back a bit, kind of a traditional strat look.

Based on my experience with that Strat I had Delmonico go ahead and bash my Adventurer into an Indy, and I'm glad I did--I knew that's the style I wanted.

So here's my question for those of you who have Campdrafts. I wear an Open Road a great deal in the summer, I just love the hat, but I live in Portland Oregon, and in the winter rain--it's Akubra all the way--they take a beating. I'd love an Akubra bashed cattleman's style, and I'm considering letting David Morgan bash and steam it in before shipping.

But, based on my experience with the open start and trying to get a cattleman's crease that I liked the look of, there is a chance I just won't like it. If that happens, and it's been steamed in by David Morgan, can the Campdraft take me getting out the steamer and rebashing into something that works? I wouldn't try this with a factory formed Akubra like a Stylemaster, but with an Open Crown I'm more hopeful I could do a resteam and play with it.

What do you think? I have only limited experience with open crown hats, and thus the question.

Cheers, and greetings from Portland!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hi Friends:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a sand Campdraft from David Morgan. I have three Akubras and adore them-- it's a good thing Delmonico only has two colors in Stylemaster or I'd be in big trouble.

I have a question about bashing the Campmaster. I have a Strat open crown that I bought last year or so, the new release. I was trying to get a cattleman's crease in it (yes, using steam) and just was never happy with it. I wound up with a teardrop and lowered the back a bit, kind of a traditional strat look.

Based on my experience with that Strat I had Delmonico go ahead and bash my Adventurer into an Indy, and I'm glad I did--I knew that's the style I wanted.

So here's my question for those of you who have Campdrafts. I wear an Open Road a great deal in the summer, I just love the hat, but I live in Portland Oregon, and in the winter rain--it's Akubra all the way--they take a beating. I'd love an Akubra bashed cattleman's style, and I'm considering letting David Morgan bash and steam it in before shipping.

But, based on my experience with the open start and trying to get a cattleman's crease that I liked the look of, there is a chance I just won't like it. If that happens, and it's been steamed in by David Morgan, can the Campdraft take me getting out the steamer and rebashing into something that works? I wouldn't try this with a factory formed Akubra like a Stylemaster, but with an Open Crown I'm more hopeful I could do a resteam and play with it.

What do you think? I have only limited experience with open crown hats, and thus the question.

Sounds like your guy will get the Cattleman's crease you want.

On the other hand, why not play with it yourself?

An Akubra can be played with like putty. Mold, steam, remold, and repeat.

Who?

Practically Family
That’s the trouble with sand, silver belly, etc. you can’t handle them with grubby paws, unless it is a working hat.

Since I haven’t worked in more than 30 years, I have to keep my hat reasonably clean.

Sometimes I wish for a bit more “character” but for the most part I’m happy with a clean hat.

Hi Friends:

If the bends and creases in the felt aren’t too sharp you should be able to get the steam creased hat back to open crown. There could be some light ghost crease lines, but most of those aren’t too visible once you re-crease the hat. If the bends/creases are very acute then they will be harder to get out.

In my experience, there can be a lot of variation in the felt found in the Campdraft. I also think the Campdraft will more easily accept the cattleman’s crease than your Stratoliner did. My problem with the Campdraft is the crown just isn’t quite tall enough for me, but I’m definitely in the minority with that complaint. Good luck.

BlackSmp

New in Town
Hi Friends:

I’m planning the same thing (open road sand CD) but confident that i will be able to do the cease since I’ve already done it once with my black CD.

It was tricky first and I always ended up with a teardrop until i understood how to do it :)

mullitt

Familiar Face
Hi Friends:

I've had my sand Campdraft bashed 5 different ways now in the past 2 years. They are pretty easy to get back to open and try again.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
IMG_5852.JPG

Campdraft has arrived, and I've had my very first attempt at bashing to a cattleman's OR style after watching some vids here in the Lounge.

No steam yet--I want to play with it a bit, try some other bashes, see what I like.

I don't know why I waited so long to do this and was so hesitant about an open crown and bashing myself. I love it, and I believe I'm hooked.

Thanks all for your encouragement!

BlackSmp

New in Town
View attachment 485879
Campdraft has arrived, and I've had my very first attempt at bashing to a cattleman's OR style after watching some vids here in the Lounge.

No steam yet--I want to play with it a bit, try some other bashes, see what I like.

I don't know why I waited so long to do this and was so hesitant about an open crown and bashing myself. I love it, and I believe I'm hooked.

Thanks all for your encouragement!
It looks nice.

My experience from the CD I have: avoid steaming the brim.

I have not been able to restore the snap brim.

hambone71

Practically Family
I’ll share a couple or three shots of my Sand Campdraft. When brand knew I fooled around with a dry cattleman’s crease and didn’t care for the way it looked on me. I then put in a dry diamond and liked it much better on me. Once I decided on the diamond, I did like others suggested and used distilled water from a spray bottle and set in, so to speak. Been happy with ever since.

Attachments

• ECBECADB-2EAF-4713-8656-8CF93AFC44C0.jpeg
    ECBECADB-2EAF-4713-8656-8CF93AFC44C0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 14B5F825-E348-4F66-A2EC-5D5B5F1F26B3.jpeg
    14B5F825-E348-4F66-A2EC-5D5B5F1F26B3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • 27A0F629-3C0A-41BA-8E5A-A88359E55C67.jpeg
    27A0F629-3C0A-41BA-8E5A-A88359E55C67.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
The answer’s probably obvious, but would the general recommendation around the Lounge be for the Campdraft over the (current) Stetson Stratoliner?

You'll probably get a few different angles on this, as well you should.

My priorities beyond look and fit are that a hat be weather-ready and provide weather protection. The Camp Draft will take the local rain and snow, and the slightly larger brim gives better protection from the sun and rain.

I don't know your priorities, but that's my two cents. I hope it helps.

The answer’s probably obvious, but would the general recommendation around the Lounge be for the Campdraft over the (current) Stetson Stratoliner?

The CD is the best bang for the buck. If you go for a newer Strat, get a Royal Deluxe open crown or an Excellent, if you can find it.

You'll pay for the Stetson, though.

hambone71

Practically Family
I can't speak for the current stratoliner as I've never had one. But I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter factory molded creases in some of stetson's modern offerings. I had taken a hiatus from hat hunting for a few years and in that time, the Stetson Premiere stratoliner with open crown campaign had already come and gone. By the time I got back in the game there wasn't one premiere strat to be found in my size except for one in black. I passed on it. I settled on a campdraft and love it.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I have several pre-formed modern Strats. I love the look of the hat, but I love the Campdraft more because of the open crown. I have an old beat to heck OR from the 40s-50s that's soft and yummy but really a beater. The CD is the closest thing I've found to the look. I'm wearing it pinched, like Truman did, and not Cattleman style like LBJ. (For a long time I was terribly confused and only thought ORs looked like the LBJ version, until I realized the many variations guys wore them in because of that open crown.)

It can also look like what we think of as a Strat, if that makes sense, because I can put the Strat shape into the hat, or not.

I also have the open crown modern Strat in silverbelly. I like it, but it is not nearly as good a value as the Campdraft. I live in Oregon, and my Akubras hold up to the weather just fine. I don't think I'd wear the Stetson in an Oregon winter rainy day. I'd have no trouble grabbing the CD.

So, this was a rambling way to tell you that a CD is a better bet than a modern preformed Strat in my opinion. I have those, and rarely wear them since getting the Akubras. I even sent away for a CD in bluegrass green, and am inches away from ordering it in black. It's too much fun.

I fear I may be buying Federation IV's next. I don't really collect vintage hats, I buy new, so if I want an open crown that has the feel of vintage styling and a tough hat, Akubra Campdraft all the way.

Happy hatting! :)

It should be noted that the CD is an Open Road "clone," and it's best comparison is not the modern or vintage Strat.

A vintage OR with an open crown would likely be 5 1/2" x 2 3/4." Brim widths vary, of course, but the OR has a wider brim than the Strat. A CD, reportedly made on the same type of blocks as when Akubra made ORs, normally has a 2 7/8" brim width and at least a 5 1/2" open crown.

Vintage open crown Strats are normally 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" with a much deeper flange than the OR or CD.

These models have specific characteristics. block profiles, flange profiles, and specs. Just because you have a thin ribbon hat doesn't mean it's an OR or Strat clone.

End of rant.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
It should be noted that the CD is an Open Road "clone," and it's best comparison is not the modern or vintage Strat.

A vintage OR with an open crown would likely be 5 1/2" x 2 3/4." Brim widths vary, of course, but the OR has a wider brim than the Strat. A CD, reportedly made on the same type of blocks as when Akubra made ORs, normally has a 2 7/8" brim width and at least a 5 1/2" open crown.

Vintage open crown Strats are normally 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" with a much deeper flange than the OR or CD.

These models have specific characteristics. block profiles, flange profiles, and specs. Just because you have a thin ribbon hat doesn't mean it's an OR or Strat clone.

End of rant.
This is great info. I knew there must be a difference between Strat and OR because--different name, no? But I never knew the specs. Thanks for clarifying that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112