Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Straight out of the box, the hat felt hard like a construction workers safety hat. But after 'crunching' it, it got much better. I do miss a bit the natural straw look, but it doesn't look too plastic.

With both of my Capricorns I sort of manually worked them so they didn't have that cracking sound when I put it on. Just massaged the crown of the hat until they didn't make that sound. It seemed to make them have a little bit of "give" when I put them on.

For my part, I wasn't ready for how heavy and Plastic the Capricorn turns out to be, to feel. A plastic helmet, indeed, and not what's indicated on warm(er) days.

I, too, have worked mine all over to reduce the stiffness (and thereby remove the Crackle), but at the end of the day-- or the beginning of a hot one!-- it's still a relatively weighty plastic object, and one that doesn't breath nearly as well as it needs to, especially given its lack of other charms. My thinner felts are far more comfortable, even in higher temperatures.

[I also like my hats loose, to the point of sometimes grazing the tops of my ears, and the feel of this one on my tender ears is just... No.]

I somehow expected a much lighter object over all, and a less coarse synthetic...? I love the colors-- mine's grey with the blue-grey puggaree-- but unless I can über soften it, it's moving on.

~ S.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got a chance to test my new Cap in yesterday's 90+ degree heat. I was out gardening, and it did its job keeping me as cool as other straws I have. Those side vents did their job.

I had scrunched the hat a bit a few days ago, and did make the hat less helmet-like, resulting in more comfortable fit, in general.

It'll be 96 today with a heat index of 100+, so that'll be a good test as it rarely gets that hot here.

Edward

Bartender
I find they soften up quickly with wear; my grey one must be about eight years old, and it's as soft as a felt now. They last better with less babying than any straw I've owned. I also find the venting very effective;if anything, on a cooler Summer morning it can be too airy.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
I had scrunched the hat a bit a few days ago, and did make the hat less helmet-like, resulting in more comfortable fit, in general.

I find they soften up quickly with wear; my grey one must be about eight years old, and it's as soft as a felt now. They last better with less babying than any straw I've owned. I also find the venting very effective;if anything, on a cooler Summer morning it can be too airy.

With such encouragements in mind, I just took another look at my closeted Capricorn.

I'd already worked it over but good, but another session of manipulating all the layers helped.

White chalky dust popped out of it when I restored its shape, possibly dried whatever-it-was that lent the stiffness? :eek:

Speaking of shape, the tall taper of the Capricorn/Stylemaster does me no favors.

With the Capricorn on my head, I pulled the sides down and out towards the back into an impromptu diamond crease, leading to a shorter, more squared-up presentation from the front-- a nice difference. Why, I might even wear this thing after all!

Except, I'd currently either have to keep both hands on it to keep the the crown pulled down and out, or leave clothespins on like little antennae. [Both are winning looks, to be sure, but not quite what I'm going for....]

Is there any way (re)set Polypropylene, possibly with a hairdryer...?

~ S.

Edward

Bartender
Now, I preface this with a disclaimer re any liability for the results, but.... I should have thought a gentle heat would allow reshaping.

Tell you what would be my grail straw: an Akubra Federation made from this same stuff, though I'd prefer riveted vent-holes like on their outback hats to the vented bit on the Capricorn. Can you imagine, though, a Summer-weight (poly)straw Fed? That would be sexy...

RJR

Now, I preface this with a disclaimer re any liability for the results, but.... I should have thought a gentle heat would allow reshaping.

Tell you what would be my grail straw: an Akubra Federation made from this same stuff, though I'd prefer riveted vent-holes like on their outback hats to the vented bit on the Capricorn. Can you imagine, though, a Summer-weight (poly)straw Fed? That would be sexy...
Hat-PB Milan 3.jpg
This Peters Brothers does it for me.

...Tell you what would be my grail straw: an Akubra Federation made from this same stuff, though I'd prefer riveted vent-holes like on their outback hats to the vented bit on the Capricorn. Can you imagine, though, a Summer-weight (poly)straw Fed? That would be sexy...
The dimensions and proportions of my Sunbody "Oak Colored Tear Drop" are actually quite close to my Fed IVs:

lql4EI1.jpg

1XTPKfb.jpg

The crown is more tapered, but the "2-1/2" inch brim on the Sunbody is actually 1/16" to 1/8" wider than that on the sides and 2-3/4" front and back; nearly spot on to the dimensions of the Fed brims. I don't think anyone would describe Sunbody's hats as "summer weight", but mine is definitely more comfortable on hot days than any of my fur felt hats. And if you buy direct from them and pay a few extra bucks, they'll install "ventilation eyelets" for you.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 125410
This Peters Brothers does it for me.

I remember reading about the PB - are they still available? I'm sure now I think about it I did see one years ago that was a mid-brown in colour too?

The dimensions and proportions of my Sunbody "Oak Colored Tear Drop" are actually quite close to my Fed IVs:

lql4EI1.jpg

1XTPKfb.jpg

The crown is more tapered, but the "2-1/2" inch brim on the Sunbody is actually 1/16" to 1/8" wider than that on the sides and 2-3/4" front and back; nearly spot on to the dimensions of the Fed brims. I don't think anyone would describe Sunbody's hats as "summer weight", but mine is definitely more comfortable on hot days than any of my fur felt hats. And if you buy direct from them and pay a few extra bucks, they'll install "ventilation eyelets" for you.

THat does look great. I've looked at SBs before, though given the expense of ordering from the US I'm going to wait to see if the pound rallies a bit in the next few years. Still very weak currently - it's worth almost a dollar less than it was a decade ago.

RJR

I remember reading about the PB - are they still available? I'm sure now I think about it I did see one years ago that was a mid-brown in colour too?

THat does look great. I've looked at SBs before, though given the expense of ordering from the US I'm going to wait to see if the pound rallies a bit in the next few years. Still very weak currently - it's worth almost a dollar less than it was a decade ago.
I haven't talked to Brad Peters recently but it is worth a call.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
finally just received my Capricorn. the British customs stung me, raising the cost of the hat by a third. I ordered a 58 as i'm 57.5. E A must be cutting back as the usual foam sizing strips and leather key ring normally enclosed where missing.
First impressions are favorable, yes it's plastic but I presume it will become slightly more flexible after time. I bought some foam strip and the hat fits fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_131900_edited.jpg
    IMG_20180711_131900_edited.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_20180711_131919_edited.jpg
    IMG_20180711_131919_edited.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 1,427

Edward

Bartender
EA are based in the US, aren't they? Used to be a few things would slip the net, but HMRC clamped down hard on US imports back in 2008 when so much mail order was coming in from there due to a perfect storm of the weak dollar and high local prices. I remember hearing of folks going to the US in the run up to Christmas hat year being practically strip-searched at customs in Heathrow. They've been sharp ever since. Often still cheaper to order from the US anyhow, though with the pound in the toilet these days you do have to check that first.

finally just received my Capricorn. the British customs stung me, raising the cost of the hat by a third. I ordered a 58 as i'm 57.5. E A must be cutting back as the usual foam sizing strips and leather key ring normally enclosed where missing.
First impressions are favorable, yes it's plastic but I presume it will become slightly more flexible after time. I bought some foam strip and the hat fits fine.

Looks good. It’s a versatile summer hat that should serve you well for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
EA are based in the US, aren't they? Used to be a few things would slip the net, but HMRC clamped down hard on US imports back in 2008 when so much mail order was coming in from there due to a perfect storm of the weak dollar and high local prices. I remember hearing of folks going to the US in the run up to Christmas hat year being practically strip-searched at customs in Heathrow. They've been sharp ever since. Often still cheaper to order from the US anyhow, though with the pound in the toilet these days you do have to check that first.
No EA are Australian, based near Melbourne.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It's been touched on here slightly, but can these hats be wholly reshaped?

I am not crazy about the details of the shape of the crown and would like to widen it and narrow the front a bit.

I have a few straws -- some are shapable with water or steam and some are not. The Capricorn is not really straw, and hence my above question. Since it is essentially plastic, is heat the only way to go? If so, I'd rather not mess with it. But then again, if I won't wear it, it's either mess with it or sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points