Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Federation Deluxe

rayk

Familiar Face
I'm considering an Akubra Federation Deluxe through hatsdirect.com; however, I was unable to find anywhere on the hatsdirect.com site the composition of this particular hat.

Can anyone provide this information and/or (for those who may own one) his impression of this hat?

Thanks,

Ray K.

kent

New in Town
I noticed they had a few colors for the plain Federation, but not the Deluxe on hatsdirect. Your review has the graphite color, so I guess the question is where did you get it?I'm quite interested in getting one one as long as I don't have to get it in brown. =)

--Kent

Danosaurus

New in Town
I beleive the Graphite Grey deluxe has been discontinued, there was a thread on COW a few weeks back that said they were clearing them out to make room for new styles. They've only got sizes 56, 62 and 63 left at the moment. I was lucky enough to get a 61, and must admit it's a great lid. The felt is very soft, and mine had very little stiffener in the crown so it has that nice floppy feel even though it holds a shape just fine. :cool:

rayk

Familiar Face
I'm so weak!! I went back to hatsdirect.com to have a second look at the Akubra Federation Deluxe, and just couldn't help myself...my mouse pointer just sort of clicked on the "Buy" button ;)

A note on the Federation hat page states: " Please note: Picture shown is styling suggestion, we do not custom style hats for web orders. Simple styling instructions are included with the hat." Does this mean that ordered hats won't look exactly like the one in the picture on the site, or that hats come unblocked?

Thanks for the help.

Ray K.

rayk

Familiar Face
Just received my new Fed D, and I must say that Akubra's shipping is impressively fast: I've waited longer for something to be shipped to me from across town. It's a rather nice hat that is very responsive to shaping. I heeded the cautions of forum members and applied steam sparingly. I'd post some pics, but you guys have seen this old tried-and-true friend many times.

I will post pics of the Montecristi fino fino that Panama Bob should soon have en route to Art for the block. The Montecristi is the hat that I've waited for 15 years, and I'm very excited about it.

I'd also like to thank all of you at Fedora Lounge, without whom life for the hat lover would know a far greater impoverishment.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
[i
I'd also like to thank all of you at Fedora Lounge, without whom life for the hat lover would know a far greater impoverishment. [/B]

Gee thanks! Well,...it's like throwing gas on a fire, buying an alcoholic a drink, or giving $10 bucks to the homeless guy on the corner....

YOU JUST DISCOVERED THAT HATS ARE A SERIOUS ADDICTION AND THE LOUNGE JUST FUELS THE FIRE!!:) :) :)

"Gee honey, the UPS truck is here again...DID YOU BUY ANOTHER HAT!?!?!?!?"

LOL LOL LOL

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab

Does your wife say that too? Glad to see I'm in good company!

regards fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate

I just tell mine, "Oh, that hat I have to work on finally came"

Actually, I just informed her that Robert had found a very special hat for me and I went ahead & bought it. She just said,,,,Oh, thats nice. Now I'm worried.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
My version is: "[Sigh] Is that a NEW hat?" Best case scenario...I groan at having to go to the ceramic tile store for the 174th time to find the EXACT RIGHT shade for the neverending kitchen renovation, and am told: "Oh, go buy yourself a new hat, you'll feel better."

farnham54

A-List Customer
I've said it once and I'll say it again: My Akubra has been through thick and thin (Lightening strikes, college parties--i think the latter is worse for the hat :)) and has come out in top shape every time. Ren is Right--Get and Akubra, they are built to last indeed.

Regards,

Craig

thefish

Familiar Face
Just ordered

Well, I just ordered my Federation Deluxe from Hats Direct.

I was actually considering the Indiana Miller, but folks here and on COW talked me out of it, (OK, they didn't actually talk me out of it. I just read too many good reviews of the Fed to ignore.)

I'll follow the bash instructions over on COW, and post pics of what I end up with, (first ever open crowned hat.) Don't know when I'll get to that, as my wife currently has our digital camera, and she's off adventuring in Indonesia for two months while I am teaching college courses here, (SHE gets to live the exciting Indiana Jones life, and I get the boring one...for now at least!)

Thanks for the advice and assistance, guys!

-Dan

thefish

Familiar Face
IT ARRIVED!

I got my Fed Deluxe today. OK, actually yesterday, but I was out of town this weekend.

I was at a whip handling workshop on the other side of the state, and was REALLY hoping that I'd get the hat on Friday, so I could wear it to the workshop. No such luck. It came AFTER I left for the weekend, and I had to wear this uncomfortable canvas Aussie drover hat from Henshel to the class. Feh...

Nevertheless, it was worth the wait. The felt is exquisite, and it took the block without using steam. I was a bit afraid that it wouldn't stay set, so I steamed it in, and it looks and feels great. The fit was a little more loose than what I wanted. It wasn't too big. It actually fit about like the vintage Royal Stetson that I wore for years, and finally killed, (I learned the hard way not to pinch the front to take it on and off, a bad habit I'm going to have to break quickly with the Fed. The color had also faded badly on the body, and the hat was not in the best of shape to begin with. I'd bought a nice hat box at a flea market for about 2-3 bucks, and when I got home discovered the box was occupied by the Stetson,) but the Fed still didn't fit as snug as I'd like, so I corrected with the sizing foam, (if I would have gone down a size when ordering the hat, It probably would have eventually developed a taper.)

Now, it's just perfect. To break it in, I went out in the back yard with my new whip, (nothing fancy, just a practice whip,) and practiced cracking, (too dark for targeting.)

The wife has the digital camera, and she's in Indonesia, so I'm kinda SOL there. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow from work.

GCR

New in Town
Congratulations on the new fedora! You made a good choice going with the Akubra. I know the Akubras aren't necessarily "the best" in terms of modern fedoras, but in relation to other modern mass-produced hats out there (Dorfman-Pacific, Stetson, Biltmore, Dobbs), I think the Akubras take the cake. Out of all the modern fedoras I've owned, my Akubra Fed. Deluxe has been my favorite so far. Good choice once again, and good luck with your new hat!

-GCR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy