Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Federation IV Standard or Deluxe?

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I prefer the deluxe, but I've only seen the black variant of the standard (to compare with my brown and fawn Deluxe models). I found the felt softer and smoother in the Deluxe model and the Heritage Fawn is a very unique and great colour which only comes in Deluxe.

The price difference is a bit hefty, I admit, but if you have the money to spend, I'd go for the top model.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, the price difference is definitely hefty between a Fed IV and a FED IV Deluxe. I just checked out Hats Direct for the prices for the Feds. The price for the Fed IV will total out to $155.94. $119.44 for the hat and $36.50 to ship it via airmail (USD). The Fed IV Deluxe will total out to $209.28. $160.78 for the hat and $48.50 to ship it via airmail (USD)

Another option for anyone who wants a custom quality made Indy fedora at a reasonable cost is to check out Garrison Hatters...
His hat is $175.00, (for his Standard Raider), plus $15.00 to ship it. Total cost would be $190.00 for a nice hat that would actually fit without using sizers behind the sweat band. I'm a LO so it's hard for me to find a hat that actually fits me unless I buy vintage or have one custom made....

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hatters_update_002.htm

Last edited:

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I would go with the Deluxe, It may be $60 more but to me it's worth it when you consider that you will be using the hat for many years.
Having said that I also have the regular Fed and it's a nice hat for the money.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I own two Fed IV Deluxe - Moonstone and Heritage Fawn. I own several Imperial quality Akubras as well. The sweat is definitely better on all of my Heritage quality Akubras. Also, the fur is thicker. But I really like my Imperial quality Akubras just as much as the Heritage models. They're just different. That being said, I would probably always opt for Heritage quality fur when it's available.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn and Moonstone

I concur that the sweatband and the felt are better on the Deluxe. The Heritage Fawn in Deluxe is a great, distinct color for this type of hat.

As Geldoc mentions, the Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn is a wonderful fedora. As a medium brown, its cousin fedora is the Fed IV Deluxe in Moonstone (medium gray). Both Fedoras will complement a number of colors of clothing. Both these hats get a lot of head time.

Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn

Fed IV Deluxe in Moonstone

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
When you ask a question like that, you display a part of your character that lets me know that, you will eventually own several of each just like me, better yet, take the plunge. Order one, don't worry about it, you will love it, be warned, more hats may show up. A year from now your hat will have friends.

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
Red Prince, as you see here, and in other threads on the Lounge, Akubra gets a lot of love. And with good reason. For me it's the combination of elegance and robustness. When it rains, I feel like I want to challenge the rain with my Fed IV or Campdraft. And be warned, as blazerbud said, your new Fed IV will acquire friends. And I agree with Andy (Orangegrad): moonstone is a great color for your second hat. Enjoy.

frussell

One Too Many
As somebody else noted, the Deluxe felt can be heavier. For where I live, that was not a plus, as it's hot here a good deal of the time. The sweatband is definitely nicer leather, and can be wider and more comfortable on a Deluxe. Having said that, the only Akubras I haven't traded off are the standard, Imperial models, and I'm happy with them. Frank.

The Red Prince

New in Town
Thanks everyone. It is definitely addictive! Is the Deluxe easier to bash? Will the Deluxe be too thick and hot for the Australian climate?

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks everyone. It is definitely addictive! Is the Deluxe easier to bash? Will the Deluxe be too thick and hot for the Australian climate?

I have a Fed IV and a Campdraft in the Deluxe version so I can't say whether they are easier to bash than the Imperial quality editions. Mine were very easy to bash although I could not get the brim shape I wanted with the Fed IV until I treated it with some stiffener. I just got the CD and I haven't worn it yet here in the northern coastal California summer even though it can be cool near the coast due to the effect of the Alaska Current. Likewise for the Fed IV. It's just a personal preference I have for lighter weights in the summer. There are some some Lounge members who live in parts of the US that are having typically hot weather (100F/38C) yet they are wearing their Campdrafts and other standard weight felt hats.

Last edited:

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
I had an original federation in imperial, and I have to say that it was a little easier to bash than my fed IV deluxe. The imperial felt just seemed softer. No problem either way, though. A little steam or water is all you need to put in a nice bash.

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
I have several Federations of each Imperial and Deluxe and can see no difference especially for the price even in hard use
Use the difference on a meal while wearing the Imperial out or towards the purchase of a second one in another color

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
8 years on...any new opinions?
If the imperial felt is softer, is it better for a long oval head?
@johnnycanuck , I bet you have both felts in your collection.
I do have both felts in my collection. My Federation deluxe is still going strong after 15 years of regular use. Super soft and flexible now. But so are all my imperial felt hats. Only one has not softened up yet and that’s my Coolabah. It is also the thickest and stiffest felt I have ever received from Akubra.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Johnny

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
I do have both felts in my collection. My Federation deluxe is still going strong after 15 years of regular use. Super soft and flexible now. But so are all my imperial felt hats. Only one has not softened up yet and that’s my Coolabah. It is also the thickest and stiffest felt I have ever received from Akubra.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Johnny
Thanks for that, Johnny. I’ve been given approval by the wife to buy a Campdraft (because she’s been doing a bit of shopping herself) and I figure if I’m going to get one, I might as well save money on postage and purchase a Fed IV (I know one will find its way into my collection sooner or later) and Brent’s @deadlyhandsome recent post has me interested in a polypropylene Akubra for a rain resistant summer hat, too. I’m thinking the Zephyr.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that, Johnny. I’ve been given approval by the wife to buy a Campdraft (because she’s been doing a bit of shopping herself) and I figure if I’m going to get one, I might as well save money on postage and purchase a Fed IV (I know one will find its way into my collection sooner or later) and Brent’s @deadlyhandsome recent post has me interested in a polypropylene Akubra for a rain resistant summer hat, too. I’m thinking the Zephyr.
I was looking at a Campdraft as well but I want it in Fawn. So I am going to have to wait on restocking for that one. Keep in mind Campdraft also comes in deluxe. Let us know what you buy and in what quality. Both are great hats and will have you covered for all occasions.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner