Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

akubra fedora

theprofessor

New in Town
does anybody know if the Akubra "Fedora" offered by hatsdirect.com is similar to the Akubra "Sydney" offered here in the states?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Seems to be very similar, although hatsdirect don't give much info. The Fedora has a 64mm brim which is a bit narrower than the 2 1/2" brim on the Sydney. Also the Fedora has a wind trolley which seemingly the Sydney doesn't. David Morgan says the Sydney is made of a lighter felt than the standard Akubra Imperial grade, but again Hatsdirect is informationally challenged. I'm sure if you email them they'd be able to give better specifics.

NonEntity

Suspended
Daoud said:
Seems to be very similar, although hatsdirect don't give much info. The Fedora has a 64mm brim which is a bit narrower than the 2 1/2" brim on the Sydney. Also the Fedora has a wind trolley which seemingly the Sydney doesn't. David Morgan says the Sydney is made of a lighter felt than the standard Akubra Imperial grade, but again Hatsdirect is informationally challenged. I'm sure if you email them they'd be able to give better specifics.

Back to math class, Daoud.

1 inch = 25.4 mm

(2.5) (25.4 mm) = 63.5 mm

Rule of rounding to whole numbers is to round up if the fraction is .50 or greater, so 63.5 mm becomes 64 mm = 2 1/2 inches.

The brims are the same width, and, in fact, the Fedora and the Sydney are one and the same hat, though the Sydney from David Morgan has no wind trolley and is available in regency fawn and charcoal only.

I got mine in charcoal last Christmas from DM, and it quickly became my favorite hat, versatile enough to wear with clothes ranging from a suit and tie to pea coat and turtleneck. With a soft crown yet a stiff, snappy brim, the Sydney was the most comfortable right-out-of-the-box hat I've ever put on my head and fit true to size.

It was really easy to shape the open crown, too. I put a center bash in with two side dents, snapped the front of the brim down and the back up, wore it in the rain, then hung it carefully on a knob to dry, and it's been perfect ever since.

I highly recommend this hat.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Back to math class? No thank you. It didn't take the first time or the second. No, I shall leave the fancy conversions to you math snobs. My figures were taken directly from my measuring instrument- the finest obtainable: a Butterfly Brand Superior Tailoring Rule, made in Shanghai. This precision device obstinately informs me that 64mm is EXACTLY 2 3/8 inches. Sir, I make it a point to never, ever argue with my Superior Tailoring Rule.

Aerol

A-List Customer
cm to inches conversion

There are 25.4 mm per inch. Hence, a 64mm brim (Australia is metric, so we should assume that production is in mm) is 2.52".

Winsor

New in Town
Akubra "Fedora" VS "Sydney"

I own both. The Fedora is stiffer than the Sydney, which is quite soft.
Both beautiful and comfortable with low crowns so I wear while driving.

theprofessor

New in Town
Indy, on monday i placed an order with hats direct for the carbon gray. I have a brown AB, and an overly dark carbon fed deluxe that has decided it wants to be a safari style. what i like about the "fedora" is the lighter weight, softer hat, and what appears to be a lower crown (or is it perhaps tapered a little more than the federation?) should fill a void in my hat collection.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
theprofessor said:
Indy, on monday i placed an order with hats direct for the carbon gray. I have a brown AB, and an overly dark carbon fed deluxe that has decided it wants to be a safari style. what i like about the "fedora" is the lighter weight, softer hat, and what appears to be a lower crown (or is it perhaps tapered a little more than the federation?) should fill a void in my hat collection.
An AB! You've got a nice collection so far! :eusa_clap We gonna see some pics soon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran