Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hat problem...

bluemoon

New in Town
So, I bought this akubra Lawson in September. Recently, I began to see whitish spotting on the brim. I figured it was from road salt on my hands (I live n chicago). I tried to steam out the spots...but no luck. So I took it to a hat store and they tried to steam it while I waited. No luck. The other day, I got the hat wet and now I see even more of the splotches. I am so confused.

Here a some photos..

a3a3ce48.jpg

ce9e8b26.jpg

5179c0eb.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Wow, don't know exactly what that could be, have you a hat brush? Try brushing it and see if it will "blend" out those spots!

bluemoon

New in Town
I have a hat brush.... It doesn't help.

I bought it from noggin tops. I have sent them an email--as well as David Morgan--asking for help. The guy who steamed it was confused too. I was think of taking it to optimo in Chicago to get cleaned. But I think that might be a waste of money at this point.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think you may be right about the road salt, but I'm not any kind of authority on it. I have 2 kinds of hats: those I only wear if I'm dressing up, so I keep them pristine in their boxes, and those I wear every day in the knowledge they are going to get messed up one way or another. The latter have become treasured old friends.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
I owned a dark brown Kiandra (same color as your hat) that developed the very same color loss any time water touched it. The color became blotchy and washed-out looking. This usually only occurs when the maker uses powder in the felting process. But Akubra claims they don't use powder, and so I have no explanation. I returned that hat to David Morgan.

I owned a Texas Hatters western hat, also in dark brown, that did the same thing. Texas Hatters uses powder to even out the color. The owners of Colorado Mountain Hats later warned me about the use of powder. They refuse to use it because they have seen the very same problem.

Last edited:

bluemoon

New in Town
Thanks...I am going to see if David Morgan will replace it. I could live with it if it were my kicking around hat...but I have the cattleman for that. This was my commuter hat.

I owned a dark brown Kiandra (same color as your hat) that developed the very same color loss any time water touched it. The color became blotchy and washed-out looking. This usually only occurs when the maker uses powder in the felting process. But Akubra claims they don't use powder, and so I have no explanation. I returned that hat to David Morgan.

I owned a Texas Hatters western hat, also in dark brown, that did the same thing. Texas Hatters uses powder to even out the color. The owners of Colorado Mountain Hats later warned me about the use of powder. They refuse to use it because they have seen the very same problem.

EggHead

Practically Family
Yes, I seem to remember now that after steaming the hat to change the crease, I saw some lighter patches on the brim after hat dried. Doesn't really bother me with this color and this type of hat. I use it to commute in pouring rain or when I go fishing. It's a glen grey stockman.

bluemoon

New in Town
So, a quick update.

David Morgan and Noggintops are going to replace it. I sent them photos. They were fantastic--great service. You have to love companies that do the right thing. It's rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24