Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hats

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Though perhaps unrealistic, I'm seeking a versatile hat that can do it all: namely, moderate sun protection, moderate rain protection, can be worn travelling in cities and occasional bush; and in the city with business casual without drawing too much attention. Low maintenance is a must. I travel quite a bit, mostly to warmer climates and moderately urban environments.

My wardrobe consists of grey, charcoal, black, navy, denim, blue, and white dress shirts. I tend to wear brown an tan leather coats and /or shoes. For my work I wear almost exclusively black shoes.

I'm east asian, 5-11, 160 lb. I used to have a black Akubra adventurer, but someone loved it more than I so I donated it.

Here is my short list:
- fed 4 in moonstone;
- stylemaster in moonstone, carbon grey, or fawn;
- banjo paterson in fawn;
- hampton in grey.

Opinons?
Hi, i can recommend the Fed 4 and stylemaster. and moonstone is such a versatile colour. I found carbon grey to dark and sold mine.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fed 4 or Banjo Patterson. Fed 4 is a great hat with decent sun protection while maintaining a classic Fedora look. Banjo is great casual hat, turn down brim means decent sun protection. Looks good in the county and city without looking out of place.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
in my opinion the best all around modern production durable hat for the money is a CampDraft

go with the Moonstone , Bluegrass Green or Tawny and you will not regret it ... I would suggest the Bluegrass Green personally

it can be dressed up or down ... it will get you from dinner in the city to bug spray in the bush

one stop shopping

Mar Kc

New in Town
Thanks for the replies!

I fear the brim on the camp draft is too large for my frame and features.

I have been curious about the bluegrass colour for the stylemaster, though I'm concerned about looking a forest ranger or Robin Hood.

johnnycanuck

Thanks for the replies!

I fear the brim on the camp draft is too large for my frame and features.

I have been curious about the bluegrass colour for the stylemaster, though I'm concerned about looking a forest ranger or Robin Hood.
You will never look like Robin Hood or a Forest ranger in a stylemaster. It's not that green and not even close to that shape.
Johnny

Mar Kc

New in Town
Why do the members seem to favour the campdraft so much? Is it something that can be worn in urban environments?

Mar Kc

New in Town
I think I'm staring to understand:
- wear the Moonstone Fed with cooler colours (eg., blue, grey, black);
- but the Bluegrass green will match better with brown, tans, and otherwise warmer colours?

Does the height of the crown of the campdraft vs. the stylemaster make a significant difference in the look? TBH I'm a bit nervous to wear a hat of the campdraft's dimensions, though research on the this forum indicates that the campdraft and fed tend receive high reviews.

Thx all for the comments!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
you should go for the one you are comfortable wearing. Members here are very confident hat wearers, and aesthetically many members like the classic open roadish look of the campdraft, and to be fair, it would better suit all your needs in that you seem to want a hat that works well in any situation from the bush to the boardroom. So, many members would prefer that hat given aesthetics and the breif, and feel confident. You on the otherhand are best suited to choose the hat you'll feel most comfortable wearing and best know your physical attributes, confidence and location and how they match up with the hat.

i love the look of the campdraft on pretty much everyone but am let us say working my way up to higher crowns and wider brims as I live in a city of two million people that I can walk through without seeing one other fedora wearer in any given week. I only started wearing fedoras five weeks ago.

not much help i know.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
When you say you are "East Asian" that means different things - in the UK, it means Indian sub-continent, in the US it is Japan, China etc. FWIW, I am a 6 foot, US 7-1/8 (smallish head), half Japanese, half French and the Fed IV (carbon grey) works well for me.

b0e5da8dd854feed1e633f510a2701e4.jpg

It got *absolutely* soaked 4 weeks ago (water cascading off the brim in a summer thunderstorm) and was *absolutely* fine.

I wear it with grey and blue suits although casual as well. I will probably pick up a CD BG at the end of the summer.

- but the Bluegrass green will match better with brown, tans, and otherwise warmer colours?

Does the height of the crown of the campdraft vs. the stylemaster make a significant difference in the look? TBH I'm a bit nervous to wear a hat of the campdraft's dimensions, though research on the this forum indicates that the campdraft and fed tend receive high reviews.

You likely won't go too wrong with any Akubra, but I'll echo the Campdraft recommendations. The larger dimensions are a bit intimidating when you're first getting into hats, but after seeing yourself in one for a while, it looks pretty natural to have a 2 7/8" brim. I don't own a Fed IV, but everybody sure seems to like those, as well.

As to colors, believe me, the Bluegrass green goes with everything.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
TBH I'm a bit nervous to wear a hat of the campdraft's dimensions, though research on the this forum indicates that the campdraft and fed tend receive high reviews.

As someone mentioned, buy what you will be comfortable wearing. I'll go a step further and suggest you don't apply to yourself, someone's review of how they look in something. In a polite forum, people will not disagree with how much someone likes something. There's validity in points about construction and quality of course, but let your own sense of style prevail.

johnnycanuck

I will say it again. Wear what you are comfortable in. If it’s the pre bashed Stylemaster then go for it.
If you are going to go a little more daring, the Federation or Campdraft are great options. As for height, most modern hats are low crown hats around the 4 ½” mark. This will look perfectly normal as this has been the height of factory produced creases for decades now. However with an open crown hat that is over 5” tall you can put it to any height you want. Now the rule I read years ago was to take the distance between the middle of your eye and the bottom of your chin (mouth closed) and that should be the height of the crown of your hat. If you look at Windsock8e picture you can see his hat follows that guideline. But if you are not used to wearing hats this may seem really tall until you get used to seeing yourself like this.
BTW green is one of those colours that seems to go with just about anything. Black, Blue, Mulch. Any colour.

Hope this helps some.

Johnny

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I often wear my Bluegrass Green with blues/greys/blacks and greens but not with browns and tans.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Just a thought...

You can trim a CampDraft to the brim dimensions of a Fed, but you have no such option with taking a Fed the other way. This allows you to have the BlueGrass Green color and try out a larger brim for a while.

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner