Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hemp range

amador

A-List Customer
Well, I have the Akubra Hemp Range, it's still in the box. I just got a quick once over to check for shipping damage. I got it in anticipation of hot sunny weather in the Treasure Valley in Idaho. I have not had occasion to wear it yet, I have been wearing a Panama. My impression is similar to others, it is a substantial straw hat. None of that roll it up and stick it in your pocket stuff. Very stiff just like the aforementioned high school athlete. I expect that the idea was exatly as its name says a Hemp hat to wear out on the Range. Maybe for touring the local vinyards in a Seersucker suit. Stay tuned

amador

A-List Customer
OK I got it out of the box

6360405295_6d4ec2f28a_z.jpg

then I waited for a sun break:

6360413397_1bebba9230_z.jpg

I think that it may need some adjusting of the brim. It is quite stiff and had very little shaping of the brim. Perhaps a little steam.

Last edited:

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Amador, I just got one, too, about a week ago. Did you ask specially for the black pug? I quite like it. Mine came with a paisley pug, which I like also. But if I'd had a choice, I might have asked for the black one.

amador

A-List Customer
No specific request on the pug. I had been to David Morgan in Bothel WA several months ago. I had seen the hat in the store. They were completely out and asked that I wait for a few weeks before ordering one for delivery. Maybe they remembered that I had this one in my hand. Where was yours bought at?

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
From Australian Gear, an Australia-based online retailer. I live in Indonesia, so in terms of shipping costs, there is no advantage to buying from US. The one that I got is like the one in the linked image. You think it's too stiff? Certainly not like a Panama, but I think that's just the way it is. I'm gonna just leave mine the way it is, I don't mind it.

amador

A-List Customer
I think that the hat is fightly named Hemp Range. I don't believe that it pretends to be a Panama Hat in any other sense than it is a straw hat. It keeps with the reputation of rugged hats from Akubra. Clouds and cold weather have returned and the hat is back in its box awaiting the grapes.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
I think that the hat is fightly named Hemp Range. I don't believe that it pretends to be a Panama Hat in any other sense than it is a straw hat. It keeps with the reputation of rugged hats from Akubra.

Yes, I agree. But that's why I wonder when people say it's "stiff". Yeah, but I think it's meant to be that way. My only complaint, which also held for the Akubra Capricorn (and for some of the briso weave panamas that I got from Bob) is that too much light comes through the brim. You can actually see quite clearly through the brim. I'd like it a bit more opaque. The best straw I have for that is my montecristi semi-colado, which is why I like to wear that on very bright days.

Duper

Practically Family
Years have gone by and I still consider purchasing the Akubra Balmoral. When I look at photos posted and the dimensions I get the feeling the Balmoral is the Banjo Paterson in hemp? Can anyone confirm or deny my thoughts on the shape and size?

,,,Mike in Canada

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Years have gone by and I still consider purchasing the Akubra Balmoral. When I look at photos posted and the dimensions I get the feeling the Balmoral is the Banjo Paterson in hemp? Can anyone confirm or deny my thoughts on the shape and size?

,,,Mike in Canada

I could see where it could be compared with a BP. Here's one of my BPs beside my Balmoral.

Duper

Practically Family
I could see where it could be compared with a BP. Here's one of my BPs beside my Balmoral.

Bingo! Just what I was looking for and more. An actual side by side comparison. Thanks very much Motorcyclist!

I have 2 BPs as well so now I know exactly what to expect.

,,,Mike in Canada

Edward

Bartender
That hemp looks nice. I have four Capricorns (grey, tan and two of the white one - should have been one white, one cream, but there was a misdelivery, and it wasn't worth sending it back over.... I have different colour ribbons on them too, so no biggie). The hemp model looks like a Capricorn in something more organic in place of the polystraw. Nice hat.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking at your photos, I found myself lusting after a Balmoral. I just emailed HD and asked if they could do anything for my 63 cm. head, as they seem to top off, so to speak, at 62 cm. My other three felt Akubras all arrived a bit large, so I was wondering if a 62 would be wearable or if they could give one a bit of a stretch. Here's hoping.

William G.

One of the Regulars
The Balmoral has a LOT of stiffener on the crown, but not nearly as much in the brim. I steamed mine and made the crown dents deeper, I also worked the brim up in the back and it snaps now (the front will snap up and stay, for the most part, but a little pressure will pull it back down). As far as sizing it and reshaping the fit, I'm using the unrolled cotton balls as spacers trick.

My only real complaint is they used so much stiffener that it didn't breathe well at all. Made my head itch like crazy the first few times I wore it out to walk. I keep meaning to steam it again to see if I can break some of the stiffener up. I would be willing to put more stiffener on the brim to help it keep shape, though.

Also, I really wish I could trim it 1/4" on the sides, but it's perfect for providing shade up front—mine actually measures close to 3" in front and 2 3/4" the rest of the way around.

Looking at your photos, I found myself lusting after a Balmoral. I just emailed HD and asked if they could do anything for my 63 cm. head, as they seem to top off, so to speak, at 62 cm. My other three felt Akubras all arrived a bit large, so I was wondering if a 62 would be wearable or if they could give one a bit of a stretch. Here's hoping.

I have a size 61 Balmoral and I had to put spacers in it, it feels at least a 1/2 size bigger than my size 61 Snowy River felt Akubra. However, to my understanding, the size 62 Balmoral doesn't have a leather sweatband. I think there's a very real chance that the 62 may be actually be a 61 with the leather sweatband ripped out and cloth sweatband sewn in its place.

Is the sizing between the fur felt and hemp hats consistent?

My Balmoral is more of an oval than my Snowy River and it fit better out of the box. However, it ended up sliding down my face. I had to put spacers in the side (2 unrolled cotton balls on each side) and in the back (1 unrolled cotton ball) to make the Balmoral fit correctly and stay up on my head where I want it. The Snowy River, without spacers, is tighter on the front and back of my head, and far looser on the sides. I'll eventually have to get a hat jack and seam the Snowy River into a long oval.

William G.

One of the Regulars
You're welcome. Here's the site I got that information from: http://www.australiangear.com/mens/straws/akubra-balmoral-hat-natural.html

It's worth noting that I pulled my Balmoral out and roughed it up a little tonight and the stiffener cracked a lot. It will probably take a little more work, but the stiffener definitely was stopping airflow through the crown and now I can see a lot more pinpricks of light coming through.

Reactions: RJR

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're welcome. Here's the site I got that information from: http://www.australiangear.com/mens/straws/akubra-balmoral-hat-natural.html

It's worth noting that I pulled my Balmoral out and roughed it up a little tonight and the stiffener cracked a lot. It will probably take a little more work, but the stiffener definitely was stopping airflow through the crown and now I can see a lot more pinpricks of light coming through.
I received a reply from Naomi, who said that the Balmorals only go up to a 62 and that she measured one for me but felt it might be too small. Disappointing, but her honesty is refreshing. She also said she'll try and figure something out. I hate being a "special needs" case. It's all the fault of that damned tribe of big-brained Irish dwarves I'm descended from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany