Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra R.M.Williams "RM" Hat/ Akubra Fed iv

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I have no hands on experience with them but it seems that the RM is just an importer of the CD that gets some exclusive colors or models of the CD.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hi guys,

Im in the process of ordering the Akubra Fed iv non deluxe in Moonstone which i love the look of, apart from the raw brim edge but I know a hat maker near where I live who will add a binding for me and is going to curl the brim a little. Anyway, i have noticed that the dark brown is back in stock in my size too. However I've been looking at and reading reviews about how nice the Akubra RM Williams hat is. I love the campdraft and ive read that the RM hat is very much like or similiar to a brown campdraft, is this correct?

On the website it looks very high in the crown but I've spoken to someone who bought it and he steamed it so an open crown and bashed it himself to lower the crown and gave it a nicer teardrop crease so I'd likely do the same so it didn't have as much of an indy look.

I'd love your opinions on which hat I should maybe go for on this one, the dark brown Fed iv or the akubra rm hat? I was kinda leaning to the rm hat due to the campdraft comparison comments but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Thank you guys
There are multiple threads on the Lounge devoted to the RM and even one (at least) specifically asking your question. You might not be aware of the search function but it's up on the top right of my screen. I don't say this to discourage you from starting a new conversation but only to say that you can use the search function to dig up tons of information and photos about both hats to help you make your decision.

Here are just two of the threads that you might find useful:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-r-m-williams-rm-hat.35845/page-2

https://www.rmwilliams.com/akubra-rm-hat-mid-brown-felt.html?lang=en_US

I don't have an RM but my brown Campdraft Deluxe is one of my favorite hats. I also love my Fed IV Heritage. But the Fed IV is specially meant to mimic the Indiana Jones hat, so if you want to avoid that association then I would recommend the RM. On the other hand, if you already have a Campdraft, then personally I would look to diversify my collection and get one with a ribbon and bow.

Another option is the Akubra Squatter. They are available at Strand Hatters (maybe elsehwere, I didn't look) in Sydney but maybe not in your size (stock is low) and maybe not in a color you want. These hats are a bit of a combination of Fed IV and Campdraft, with a bound edge but also a ribbon and bow and dimensional brim. They also come open crown like the Fed IV so you bash them yourself. Here is the regency fawn color but it also comes in dark grey (i think it's called cobalt) and black:

https://strandhatters.com.au/produc...31236&pr_ref_pid=1700477599844&pr_seq=uniform

It's a tough choice, good luck though in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one unless you specially don't want that Indy look - in which case, you would do better avoiding the Fed IV.

BTW, there are multiple FED IV YouTube videos that might help you as well, and maybe even a few videos about the RM.

Last edited:

Lordteabelly

New in Town
There are multiple threads on the Lounge devoted to the RM and even one (at least) specifically asking your question. You might not be aware of the search function but it's up on the top right of my screen. I don't say this to discourage you from starting a new conversation but only to say that you can use the search function to dig up tons of information and photos about both hats to help you make your decision.

Here are just two of the threads that you might find useful:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-r-m-williams-rm-hat.35845/page-2

https://www.rmwilliams.com/akubra-rm-hat-mid-brown-felt.html?lang=en_US

I don't have an RM but my brown Campdraft Deluxe is one of my favorite hats. I also love my Fed IV Heritage. But the Fed IV is specially meant to mimic the Indiana Jones hat, so if you want to avoid that association then I would recommend the RM. On the other hand, if you already have a Campdraft, then personally I would look to diversify my collection and get one with a ribbon and bow.

Another option is the Akubra Squatter. They are available at Strand Hatters (maybe elsehwere, I didn't look) in Sydney but maybe not in your size (stock is low) and maybe not in a color you want. These hats are a bit of a combination of Fed IV and Campdraft, with a bound edge but also a ribbon and bow and dimensional brim. They also come open crown like the Fed IV so you bash them yourself. Here is the regency fawn color but it also comes in dark grey (i think it's called cobalt) and black:

https://strandhatters.com.au/produc...31236&pr_ref_pid=1700477599844&pr_seq=uniform

It's a tough choice, good luck though in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one unless you specially don't want that Indy look - in which case, you would do better avoiding the Fed IV.

BTW, there are multiple FED IV YouTube videos that might help you as well, and maybe even a few videos about the RM.
Thank you very much for your reply, great help. I love the colour of the moonstone fed iv and know a hatmaker close to me who said he can work on the brim size/curve and add a binded edge for me so that will prob take away from that indy look thankfully so I get the hat closer to what I'd like with the akubra quality.

I'm glad you mentioned the akubra squatter aswel, I'd actually looked at that too in the dark grey! I saw someone who bashed a teardrop crown into it on YouTube and it looked really nice. If its a cross between the fed iv and campdraft then it could be a really nice one for me to check out for my growing collection:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails