Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra repair

celticmom

New in Town
My husband has an Akubra Overlander that needs to be repaired. The hat wasn't stored properly while he was in Iraq (totally my fault). Does anyone know of a hat renovator in Georgia? I've seen the ones on the Akubra site but was looking for someone possibly in the Atlanta area.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a hat renovator that I can send it to? I can post pics if necessary.

Thanks!!!

celticmom

New in Town
pics

DSCF1344.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF1341.jpg

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1347.jpg

toobacat

One of the Regulars
If you're near Atlanta, then one of the Horsetown western stores should be able to reshape it for you.

NonEntity

Suspended
Are you sure it's not your husband, but the hat that's been in Iraq, active duty, front lines?

You could fix it yourself via the extensive tips here, but re-shaping a pinched telescope crown can be tricky for a first-timer, so I recommend having it professionally cleaned and re-blocked.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it appears that this OverLander did a stint as an "InTheWater" and stayed wet for a long time before drying out. It not only needs to be re-shaped but also looks like it needs a good cleaning.

The good news is that it's an Akubra, made of its premium Heritage Collection felt, no less, so it'll be restorable to like-new condition. There's bound to be someone in Atlanta who can clean and block it. Hopefully someone here will see this post and make a specific referral.

Consider this: With the Aussie dollar being so weak against the U.S. dollar, you can currently buy a new Overlander from http//www.everythingaustralian.com.au for about $80, including shipping. You'll probably pay not far from that for a local clean/ re-block, the same or even more if you have to send it off, when you factor in there-and-back shipping.

Whatever, but you plan to take care of the hat before he returns, so he'll never know a thing, right?

Women!!! I love 'em!

celticmom

New in Town
Thanks for the tips, link and info. I am actually near a Horsetown so I will check out that option tomorrow.

The hat stayed here while my dh was in Iraq. He's home and has seen the hat so my option of hiding it from him is out ;)

I did not sleep with it under my pillow but was unsuccessful in keeping the one year old and three old from it. I found them with it one day and in a rush put it in the top of the closet. Between the 1 (now 2) year old, 3 year old, 6 year old, and 11 year old I never went back and properly put it away :( Sigh... at least I never lost any of the children while he was away, right :D

arthur

Suspended
What I posted was purely in jest.God bless you and your husband for the sacrifice you've made for the country.I'm a former military man myself {82nd airborne 1980-84}.I bet your husband could have cared less about some stupid hat upon his return from what must have been a very difficult situation.

celticmom

New in Town
arthur said:
What I posted was purely in jest.God bless you and your husband for the sacrifice you've made for the country.I'm a former military man myself {82nd airborne 1980-84}.I bet your husband could have cared less about some stupid hat upon his return from what must have been a very difficult situation.

No worries and thank you for your service!!

celticmom

New in Town
Sorry folks it took me so long to get back to this thread.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I ended up taking the hat to Horsetown near me and they were able to clean and reshape the hat. It looks so much better and my hubby is happy with it. I'll post a pic (it's not the greatest) ...

DSCF1374.jpg

DSCF1376.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
celticmom said:
Between the 1 (now 2) year old, 3 year old, 6 year old, and 11 year old I never went back and properly put it away :( Sigh... at least I never lost any of the children while he was away, right :D

Quote of the week CM!lol lol lol

theprofessor

New in Town
glad you were able to restore the hat, but in the "before" picture it sure did have a lot of character... looks like it's certainly earned it's keep!

More importantly, God bless you and your husband for your dire sacrifices for the rest of us who live comfortably at home. You are both appreciated more than you know, my prayers are with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats