Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina Owners

StokerCat

New in Town
You are correct, mine has about a 2 3/4 brim. That bigger brim does look good though...maybe I'll extend my 2 Akubra streak and find a newer version too! Not holding my breath but I can hope!

I could use another band for that Cattleman and not looking to pay DM prices, any thoughts? Not sure about the ribbon band with those vent grommets.

Ranbro

New in Town
StrokerCat,

You may want to look at an Akubra Tablelands available from Everythingaustralian.com or from HatsDirect.com. It's has a 3 1/4 inch bound brim and comes in a very nice brown olice color (actually dark green) and a tan color. It makes a very good safari style hat as well.

Bald1

New in Town
Obviously very late to this thread. But it appears I am shown on the owners map :)

I own two of the fawn colored old original style Riverina. Bought all the makings for a safari conversion but just couldn't pull the trigger. My second is a spare still sitting new in its hatbox :)

riverina-bash.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Russell

New in Town
Just bought an Akubra Riverina (Loden). It is on its way to Qatar in the Middle East from Ausie. I will post pictures wearing it in the desert when it arrives. I have several other Akubras. This one is going to add to the collection for use when I am in the desert at work or play.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Just bought an Akubra Riverina (Loden). It is on its way to Qatar in the Middle East from Ausie. I will post pictures wearing it in the desert when it arrives. I have several other Akubras. This one is going to add to the collection for use when I am in the desert at work or play.

That should keep the sun off your head there in the ME. I look forward to your pics, because there have been several versions of the Riverina over the years.

dad_bod

New in Town
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd like to seek the collective wisdom of the Riverina Owners 'Club'...

I have a newer loden Riverina with the hint 102mm (4 inch) brim. I picked it up for a very reasonable $60 (Aud) second hand.
IMG_4945.JPG

I like the colour and the crown shape. But I have a problem with the practicality of the brim. The only time I wear it is when the sun is really belting, but Perth is one of the windiest cities on the planet and when it's sunny, strong winds are not far behind. The hat fits well but on several occasions now strong gusts have whipped it off my head and sent it flying across the park (it's my dog walking hat).

After getting a Leisure Time I think that a 70mm brim is more than adequate. The wind hasn't manage drontake that off my head yet. I'm contemplating either selling the Riverina on locally (I expect that shipping it from here to anywhere else will be too $$$) or trimming the brim and safarizing it a bit with a ribbon or puggaree.

Has anyone done this with the newer larger brimmed Riverina? What size brim do the safarized versions have? I'm thinking somewhere between 50 and 70mm?

Any advice? Any thoughts?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
You could punch a couple of holes in the sweatband & thread through a stampede cord. That'll keep the riverina hat on in all but gale force winds. A brim can never be too wide under the Aussi sun.
If you do decide to 'safarize' it, 7 cm would be the minimum brim width.

RJR

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd like to seek the collective wisdom of the Riverina Owners 'Club'...

I have a newer loden Riverina with the hint 102mm (4 inch) brim. I picked it up for a very reasonable $60 (Aud) second hand. View attachment 106413

I like the colour and the crown shape. But I have a problem with the practicality of the brim. The only time I wear it is when the sun is really belting, but Perth is one of the windiest cities on the planet and when it's sunny, strong winds are not far behind. The hat fits well but on several occasions now strong gusts have whipped it off my head and sent it flying across the park (it's my dog walking hat).

After getting a Leisure Time I think that a 70mm brim is more than adequate. The wind hasn't manage drontake that off my head yet. I'm contemplating either selling the Riverina on locally (I expect that shipping it from here to anywhere else will be too $$$) or trimming the brim and safarizing it a bit with a ribbon or puggaree.

Has anyone done this with the newer larger brimmed Riverina? What size brim do the safarized versions have? I'm thinking somewhere between 50 and 70mm?

You need a stampede string.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

I have a newer loden Riverina with the hint 102mm (4 inch) brim. I picked it up for a very reasonable $60 (Aud) second hand. View attachment 106413

Trimming a brim is not that hard - a websearch of the FL and brim trim should get you to a number of options for doing this task.
On the other hand, you could add a retaining string. I am fond of the Tilley style dual string setup. Look it up on the internet. Works very well in the wind. You can do these through the sweat or punch holes into the hat. Either works well. I did this to my TableLands which is pretty similar to the Riverina.

Fed

Edward

Bartender
There are some Akubra models come designed for a chinstrap (I believe the military slouch hat is one of them). That might be an option. I'd think it wouldn't look to out of place on a safari hat, and it had to look a bit less dorky than having to run up the park after your hat!

dad_bod

New in Town
I have two Pug's, so I look dorky when I walk them anyway. Riverina has been listed for sale locally. I'll see how that goes for a few weeks before a hack it.

dad_bod

New in Town
Impatience got the better of me. Chopped it down and got carried away. It's not a safari brim now...

Band is from an old Byron. I think it needs a pleated ribbon, but not a full-on puggaree. I'm still coming to terms with a short length brim and eyelets (socks with sandles?) but I think I like it. And my head will be a bit cooler.
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5081.JPG
    IMG_5081.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 1,397

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider