Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina

portolan

A-List Customer
I read a thread from several years ago regarding safari hats. Many guys bought this Akubra Riverina and adopted it to a safari style. I was so happily surprised to find the same place everyone was recommending two years ago had three sizes left in this hat at a really terrific price - $47 or so. They had my size so I grabbed one quickly. I really this this is a great looking Akubra hat. Can't wait to get it and begin changing it around. I am not sure of the name of he safari band that FLers put on it...pugaree or pungaree or something like that. I think this is gonna be a great hat, especially coming from a FL thread that was two years old.....Thanks FL....another great lead that worked out. Can't wait to get this great hat....

imageview.asp

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Got my Riverina in May of last year, for a low price like yours Portolan, and it's a great hat. "Summerized" it by removing the liner and adding a lot of extra holes with eyelets. Looking forward to wearing it more come warmer weather. A very good field hat if you are a geologist-type person.

Really impressive how Akubra does the edge binding. Beyond what you'd expect for this kind of money.

- Bill

Edward

Bartender
Great hats - mine served me especially well on its first big outing, a near-three week holiday in Eastern China last year, during which it keep me shielded from both extremes of heat and rain (we got caught in Hong Kong's worst rain in 120 odd years!).

The only real 'flaw' I found was the white lining, which I chose to keep in mine. The heat and humidity caused me to sweat some of the dye out of the leather sweatband and up into the liner. Not really an issue as it's not visible when the hat is in use. does keep me wodnering, though, why the default norm for so many hats is a white liner when regular use marks and sweat stains would be so much less visible on a dark brown / bottle green / black / scarlet colour. [huh]

I'm off to Beijing again in May for a couple of weeks (combined work trip and holiday), and the riverina will be going with me, along with a folding Panama this time. The Riverina is no replacement for a Panama, as there are some temperaturs where the straw would definitely be preferable. I would still take the Akubra over the Straw, though, if I could take only one hat on my travels, as it is far and away superior in the wet (obviously). A very flexible hat indeed.

MCrider

A-List Customer
You guys are getting me in trouble

Thanks to all the great posts I've read here since finding the Lounge, you guys have me buying even MORE hats. Yesterday I ordered the Riverina from The Outback Outlet after work. Looks like it's a great deal at $55 shipped. I plan on using this hat when my son and I go hiking, since right now I'm using a cotton safari style from Dorfman. So that's the good.
Now for the bad. My wife is starting to recognize that there are more hat boxes piling up in the computer room / den. Right now she hasn't said anything, but if she brings it up, I may have to kill her. [huh]
Or are there any other suggestions that you fellow Loungers have with dealing with your spouses? Anything would be appreciated because I'd really hate to lose her (she makes a mean homemade pizza). :)

PS: Tiffany at the Outback Outlet said that mine was the third order for the Riverina that day, so I think the others who ordered need to fess up!

Mike K.

One Too Many
MCrider said:
Tiffany at the Outback Outlet said that mine was the third order for the Riverina that day, so I think the others who ordered need to fess up!
Okay, so I ordered 50 of them at once! :D Just kidding.

Welcome to the Riverina club. I lost count but last I checked the number of Riverina owners at the Fedora Lounge was somewhere around two dozen! It truly is a great hat...certainly the most comfortable one I own.

If anyone is interested, I do have one spare safari-ized Riverina to part with (size 7 3/8). This one has a sturdy glued-on (not wrapped) puggaree band, liner removed for warmer climates, rebashed for safari style, and brim trimmed to 2.5 inches. Hand worked so it's soft and supple. PM me if interested.

Gummy

New in Town
Do you still want to part with it?

Mike K. said:
Okay, so I ordered 50 of them at once! :D Just kidding.

Welcome to the Riverina club. I lost count but last I checked the number of Riverina owners at the Fedora Lounge was somewhere around two dozen! It truly is a great hat...certainly the most comfortable one I own.

If anyone is interested, I do have one spare safari-ized Riverina to part with (size 7 3/8). This one has a sturdy glued-on (not wrapped) puggaree band, liner removed for warmer climates, rebashed for safari style, and brim trimmed to 2.5 inches. Hand worked so it's soft and supple. PM me if interested.

Great looking hat Mike.

I might be interested if you still want to part with it, can you PM me. For some reason I can't PM.

Gummy

Gummy

New in Town
Edward said:
Gummy, the Lounge accounts are all configured that you can PM once you reach 15 posts, but not until then.

Edward: I saw that minutes after I posted this :) But thanks anyway. I shoot first and then ask :)

Edward

Bartender
Can't find the threads with shots I took before, or the thread on the various locations in which Safari-ised Riverinas have been worn, but....

Bangalore, India, May 31st 2010:
IMGP3351.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cocker or Coward, your choice.

Edward said:
Can't find the threads with shots I took before, or the thread on the various locations in which Safari-ised Riverinas have been worn, but....

Bangalore, India, May 31st 2010:
IMGP3351.jpg

"Mad dogs & Englishmen..." :eek:

This was an ebay find. It was certainly used, but the felt was soft and surprisingly nice. The leather band was a disappointment in its execution and in its hot glue attachment. Worse, it was misshapen and the crown had a lot of taper. I had intended this as fodder for working on my technique with a brim edge curling tool, but now I think not.

I recently received a most thoughtful gift of a 7 1/2 block from Bowen. As I’m a 7 5/8 (the hat is a 61cm), I thought I’d have a try at reblocking it without removing the sweat. A good soaking (I tried to avoid the sweat) and a lot of steam and force, and the hat stretched over the block fairly well. I reestablished the brim break and gave it a new ribbon. The ribbon fought me and I’m not happy with the result, as this will be a hard-use hat I can live with it. There is a very faint line in the felt from the top of the sweat being pressed into it.

The relatively short crown called for a shallow crease. Im happy with the overall results and will put it to good use.

f71070e8defe138c64d717b017c239f8.jpg

0c5b3b9ecaffd3fa85d938bf1c36e06c.jpg

afba8a40221996b76470f52aa5ec909f.jpg

3ed21d56e4d2c9b226cea345d8215e6f.jpg

1804a9b62f65bf5ab7cb8f37d46ec33f.jpg

2e03bed897ba6f88b93cfc73da02b526.jpg

05fabad76b18647e137c43cb1827579d.jpg

84fb1e43d0836bf403e70e8cdfe914ec.jpg

bc62b42322f81410a56204f87c717c30.jpg

4e3c3d874aedfc3026c1ecf17f0f0c4f.jpg

As received:

bc0da00c2aedc94fee74419dc321682c.jpg