Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra sizes: true to the numbers?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I am really angry!

Hello,

I don`t know how to handle this situation. I ordered a FedIV 2 months ago, today it arrived (long terms because of production process) and it didn`t fit! I had to sent it back!

I`ve got a Christys Adventurer, 59cm, fitting. An advintage-hat, 59cm, fitting. When I measure my head: 59cm!

I ordered a 59cm Fed: doesn`t fit!!

As some of you know, I am ordering a Falcon Park at the moment, but what should I tell him. "Maybe 59cm."?!

And what should I say to hatsdirect? "Maybe 60cm work for me."?!! I ilve in germany, it`s not that I could go there by car... really angry I am!

regards

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This may be questioning the obvious but did you make sure that what you received was a size 59?

I've heard that the Fed IV's do run a bit small and my Fedi IV is slightly smaller than my Campdraft of the same tagged size...

m0nk

One Too Many
Here's what I've learned over time. Christy's hats run smaller than their size, while Akubra hats in the same felt type as the Fed IV (Imperial Felt) run slightly larger than their size. You may have ordered a size 59 Christy's, but it might not measure that size, so you really need to measure your own head size. Then use the Akubra chart to find your hat size. The Akubra Imperial Felt hats will shrink slightly and mold to your head over time. For example, my head is exactly 21 7/8", which in most charts is a size 56. When I ordered a 56, I needed to pad it initially, but then it formed to my head in about 3 months and I took the padding out.

For your order with Falcon Park, I would recommend measuring in inches and provide down to the 16th inch level if possible, 8th inch level definitely. Parker will construct it to that size.

When I get Campdrafts in open crown state, they fall down on my ears.
Once I crease them they fit better & with wear they draw up to a good, snug fit.
I bought 2 Fed4s second hand in the exact same size as my Campdrafts.
They fit just fine. I am a true 24"/61cm

danofarlington

I think that hat-buyers are usually forced into buying on Internet, whether vintage or new, and so you have to go into it prepared to send it back for size reasons. It's unavoidable. But the good news is that Internet gives you a huge selection that local stores do not. Most hats bought from distant stores fit, so it's not always that you have to do that.

Walt

One of the Regulars
It could be that the hat wasn't the proper circumference. However I have experienced more problems with the oval shape being the cause usually because of differences in hat blocks oval dimensions rather than the circumference being wrong--though of course a hat could have been mislabeled or shrunk.. Usually a regular oval works for me, but I find that sometimes it doesn't. I had a problem with an Akubra Adventurer being a little large side-to-side and a little small front-to-back--not so much that I couldn't fix it with front-to-back stretching. I suspect it was because of the block used.

Since our heads are neither circles or perfect oval ellipses front-to-back and side-to-side measurements have to be considered along with total distance since mass produced hats are neither custom fit or made in different oval types. I wish it was standard to include those other dimensions with new hats bought sight unseen.

bond

Good luck with that. I always opt for larger fit myself as its easier to make it right than a smaller size.

Last edited:

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your answers!

It was too small. I know, taht, if a hat arrives,it`s cold and hard on the sweatband, it takes some hours to warm it up, then it feels much better. But this hat was.... like if you really feel that it`s too small. I didn`t even had it really on my head, because I weren`t able to. It felt really small.

It didn`t even look like a 59cm. From the oval. It lookes smaller. Well... I am confused. What should I tell them? 60? 61? Too big then? Will a 60 be the difference? Oh dear.

I heard, that a 59 is like 58,5. But they told me in the service, that they look out for a hat, that is the nearest to 59...

I just sent it back today on customs, because the man there was forcing me to come to a decision. I decided just not to take the hat with me, by knowing it wouldn`t fit. I hope it`s alright for hatsdirect....

EggHead

Practically Family
Ask HatsDirect to measure the hat that they sent to you. If they measure it and it's 59cm, then you would need a larger hat, re-measure your head to be sure. Ask another person to help you measure too.
If they find that this hat was indeed smaller than 59cm, then they should send you a another 59cm hat (free shipping too).

Hope it works out for you and HatsDirect.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I`ve got a Christys Adventurer, 59cm, fitting. An advintage-hat, 59cm, fitting. When I measure my head: 59cm!
The size of the other hats doesn't really count, but if you measured your head correctly (at the level you want the hat to sit), I cannot think of what could have gone wrong. Could your tape measure have been old and possibly stretched and therefore gave a smaller measurement? Did you measure it right after a haircut and now you've got fuller hair again?

In any case, one size up should really be enough in your case.

Personally, when I made my order and told them that I was an exact 62, they advised me to go one size up. After 2-3 years, I'm still waiting for that hat to shrink to my measurements (it is better and I no longer need the filling, but it is still rather loose especially after I've had a hair-cut)

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I just sent a mail to them, wrote, that I need a 60. It is ok for them. The service is the best. The only sad thing is, that in my mailcontact, I asked them about 3 times, what hatsize I should take for me as a 59. They said 59. But we'll see what the 60s bring. I'll write in here as soon as the new one arrives.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I hope the issue will be solved with a new hat. :)

I guess not even all of the people at Hatsdirect are as well informed about the Federation IV sizing as they should be... :/

Gromulus

Practically Family
I hope the issue will be solved with a new hat. :)

I guess not even all of the people at Hatsdirect are as well informed about the Federation IV sizing as they should be... :/

Jen and Deb are no longer at The Hattery so it is possible the newer employees don't know the FED runs smaller. Although I usually wear a 60 in an Akubra (and I have sixteen Akubra felts), I wear a "small" 61 in a FED. If you contact them when you order they can try to select a larger or smaller hat within a certain size. I found the FED runs about 1/2 size smaller than other Akubra models.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Jen and Deb are gone? That's a shame - they were two of the best customer service people to communicate with that I've known.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Ok I am a size 59.2 maybe .3 sometimes it reads 59.5. I contacted hatsdirect about buying a fed 4 and they told me to go to a size 60. I was looking at another akubra that was not a federation and wanted to know if the same applies to the other akubras (campdraft, squater, adventurer...) or if it is only for the fed4 that I should size up.

ManofKent

Ok I am a size 59.2 maybe .3 sometimes it reads 59.5. I contacted hatsdirect about buying a fed 4 and they told me to go to a size 60. I was looking at another akubra that was not a federation and wanted to know if the same applies to the other akubras (campdraft, squater, adventurer...) or if it is only for the fed4 that I should size up.

I'm around a 60.2 / 60.3 and found a 60 in a campdraft fits well - slightly roomy for initial wears but now about right. My first Fed IV was a 60 and after a few wears was a little snug - not uncomfortable, but just a tad snug (nothing that an occasional overnight spell in a a barely turned hat stretcher won't fix). I went for a 61 with next two and after bashing/steaming they were too loose but with the supplied tape are spot on so will probably shrink to about right. I would suggest the idea that the Fed IV is around 1/2 a size smaller than the Campdraft is probably right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy