Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sombrero : Remplacement hat bands?

Who?

Practically Family
I am (rather obviously) partial to horsehair hatbands.
83FA8A3C-8AD9-469B-BD08-969FF8391F67.jpeg

This is the same hat that the grouchy old fart in my avatar is wearing.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
View attachment 495393

That would actually make a perfect band for the Sombrero, as well, and not entirely out of Akubra's wheelhouse. I was actually thinking of going that route, but I really like the look of a horsehair band on top of a ribbon, ended up going with the ribbon with the idea of possibly adding a nice horsehair band similar to yours, and without the loose ends.

Who?

Practically Family
View attachment 495393

That would actually make a perfect band for the Sombrero, as well, and not entirely out of Akubra's wheelhouse. I was actually thinking of going that route, but I really like the look of a horsehair band on top of a ribbon, ended up going with the ribbon with the idea of possibly adding a nice horsehair band similar to yours, and without the loose ends.
I’n not sure what you mean by “loose ends”, can you say that a different way, please?

It’s on top of the factory band because I am too timid to try removing the factory band, and sewing the new one onto the hat, and there is no one whom I would trust to do it, that I know personally, so it just gets a “free ride“. When it gets too loose, I just tighten it up and put it back.

I will not use glue.

I don’t remember where I ordered mine, but if you punch up “Horsehair Hatband” you will get a gazillion of them. I shy away from Etsy and Ebay, but that’s just personal prejudice.

The “hitched” ones cost more, but I went the cheap way and just got a regular one.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
That would actually make a perfect band for the Sombrero, as well, and not entirely out of Akubra's wheelhouse.

I’n not sure what you mean by “loose ends”, can you say that a different way, please?

I'm not referring to yours in that comment !

Excuse my lack of proper terminology, I was referring ends of a horsehair band that are often left loose and unbraided.

Mm25

One Too Many
Nothing wrong with it at all, just not my style. The thing is, the cowhide one is such a particular and uncommon style of band that I think its limited appeal seriously reduces the overall appeal of the hat. Itt might make a fine aftermarket accessory but is misjudged as a stock item, IMO.

Perhaps it's just now that there's enough of an increased interest in the old Western hats to make it viable to the international market with a grosgrain band, perhaps it sells better in Oz than elsewhere, but I can guarantee this would be a far more popular hat if they equipped it with a more traditional band, whether a very narrow or wider one. or even a finer version of the current cowhide one, which is quite inelegant and looks like an afterthought to my eye.
I agree with everything you say regarding its marketability except the inelegant afterthought. I believe it us exactly as intended, just perhaps not as well received as hoped for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21