Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stylemaster thoughts and opinions

ninman

One of the Regulars
If I was looking for this kind of style, which hat would get me closer to it? I know the stylemaster doesn't have as fat a ribbon band, but I do quite like that kind of rounded look.

latest

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
If I was looking for this kind of style, which hat would get me closer to it? I know the stylemaster doesn't have as fat a ribbon band, but I do quite like that kind of rounded look.

latest
You could always have someone put a wider ribbon on it if you like.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Given what you've described, I would go for an Akubra Sydney, instead, which also goes by the name Fedora when sold in Australia. It's got a little taper, but not like the Stylemaster, and it comes open crown, so you can have the fun of shaping it to your liking. It's a smart-looking hat for about the same price as the Stylemaster, and it handles any kind of weather.

The Sydney sounds right up your alley. One thing to keep in mind is the resale on most Akubras are pretty close to full value, so try it out and if you don't like it, sell it on eBay or other such sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninman

One of the Regulars
The Sydney sounds right up your alley. One thing to keep in mind is the resale on most Akubras are pretty close to full value, so try it out and if you don't like it, sell it on eBay or other such sites.

How does it compare to the squatter?

Eliesti

A-List Customer
How does it compare to the squatter?

From what I can tell, they are somewhat similar and both come open crown but:

Sydney:

5.5 inch crown
2.5 inch brim
1 inch ribbon
No chin strap hooks

Squatter:

5.25 in crown
3 inch brim
1.25 inch ribbon
Chin strap hooks (hole in side of hat above bow)

For reference, the Stylemaster is pre-bashed with a pronounced taper and specs are as follows:

4.75 inch crown after bash
2.5 inch bound brim
1.5 inch ribbon
No chin strap hooks.

I hope this helps.

ninman

One of the Regulars
From what I can tell, they are somewhat similar and both come open crown but:

Sydney:

5.5 inch crown
2.5 inch brim
1 inch ribbon
No chin strap hooks

Squatter:

5.25 in crown
3 inch brim
1.25 inch ribbon
Chin strap hooks (hole in side of hat above bow)

For reference, the Stylemaster is pre-bashed with a pronounced taper and specs are as follows:

4.75 inch crown after bash
2.5 inch bound brim
1.5 inch ribbon
No chin strap hooks.

I hope this helps.

Are you sure that would be better than a Stylemaster?

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have 3 Stylemasters in different colors, some of my favorite hats.

I also own several (four?) Stylemasters, some of the first fedoras I obtained. While I do tend to wear hats with less taper more often than not these days, I always get more complements on my Stylemasters (especially in Moonstone) than my others. Go figure.

Variety is a good thing and along with the Campdraft and FED IV, Akubra offers many styles of fedoras. A good way to get your "feet wet".

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Are you sure that would be better than a Stylemaster?

The Stylemaster probably gives a cleaner look. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but if you are looking for something more old school, a Sydney might be more up your alley. That being said, I tend to think of the old school hats having wider bands than those on the Stylemaster, Sydney, or the Squatter (even though many old school hats do have the 1 or 1.5 inch bands), so if you want the old school look, that's why the Fed IV is appealing to me, but you already have one of those.

I happen to like the Stylemaster for the lines of the hat. I'd even go so far as to say that I like the Stylemaster with a C-crown better than a diamond crease (see pic below taken from eBay). I like the sweeping lines of the C-crown being on a perpendicular plane from the lines of the taper. They don't clash like the straight lines of a diamond does with the lines of the taper. But I'm over 6 ft tall also.

I can wear a 6 inch open crown & an open crown may not be too exciting of a look but it does have some lines to it due to some taper & rounding at the top of the crown. But because of my height if I wear a 6 inch crown with no taper I might as well paint it yellow because it's going to look like a big block of cheese setting there. There will be no interesting lines to the hat at all & I don't need to add 6 inches of stove pipe lines to my appearance. It may have worked for Lincoln but it doesn't work for me.

There are reasons why most of the guys who look good in & therefore prefer a tall 6 inch straight crown also prefer asymmetrical hand bashed creases & big elephant ear dents; to give the overall appearance of the hat some interesting lines so the crown doesn't look like a big block of cheese.

YMMV. We all like what we like based on how it looks on us.

2e0th8l.jpg

2usilgl.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
As far as Fedoras go , in Akubra Hats , the Sydney Fedora (known as The Fedora on Akubra's AU sites) is an Open Crown version . The Squatter comes Open Crown ,also , but has a Dimensional Brim , I believe (longer front and back , more narrow sides) , Like the Fed IV , and the Adventurer . They say the Fedora is a Super Soft and Flexible Hat (called the Sydney Fedora at David Morgan and others in the US) . The Stylemaster has the pre bashed C-Crown or Tear Drop with rake . But it looks Good . I think the Bogart has a Center Crease , I think , and maybe some taper , not sure . A good place for getting info is Hats by the 100s youtube vids product reviews . I think Open Crown Fedora Style Hats by Akubra are The Campdraft , The FED IV , The Squatter , The Fedora (Sydney) , ... I think thats all , but sold in the US Akubra has The Bushman 3 1/4" Brim , Open Crown 5.5" , some call it Western , but it could go either way . I'd have to double check that , but thats all I recall Fedora wise . David Morgan (Distributor of Akubra North America , I think) has some vids , and Hats By The 100s has All the styles sold by them Reviewed on vids , but I don't think they sell the FED IV , that's a Hats Direct Akubra model only , I believe .

javadave61

Practically Family
I'm a fan of the Stylemaster. Taper, yes. But THAT much taper? No. Of the 15 or so hats in my closet, it's the one most likely to be pictured in the dictionary under "classic fedora." I started out fixated on the straight sides, tall crown. Got quite a few of those. But in the end, I had to decide what I most connect with. Each hat looks different on each person. The fun part of this hobby is buying, trying, selling, and then buying, trying, selling all over again until you have the collection that fits who you are and the look you want. The Stylemaster fits who I am.

ba2c3a0cb49269aa841b7ac541491554.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It really depends on the shape of your face and head. I've seen several guys here sporting Stylemasters and they looked great, but that kind of taper makes me look like Zippy the Pinhead.

Yes, I think they look slightly wrong on lots of people precisely because of that taper. When I was first buying hats in the early 1980's they didn't have that taper and they were open crown. Now I think they are best worn if you have a long, narrow face.

RJR

I'm a fan of the Stylemaster. Taper, yes. But THAT much taper? No. Of the 15 or so hats in my closet, it's the one most likely to be pictured in the dictionary under "classic fedora." I started out fixated on the straight sides, tall crown. Got quite a few of those. But in the end, I had to decide what I most connect with. Each hat looks different on each person. The fun part of this hobby is buying, trying, selling, and then buying, trying, selling all over again until you have the collection that fits who you are and the look you want. The Stylemaster fits who I am.

ba2c3a0cb49269aa841b7ac541491554.jpg
It looks "right" on you.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I also own several (four?) Stylemasters, some of the first fedoras I obtained. While I do tend to wear hats with less taper more often than not these days, I always get more complements on my Stylemasters (especially in Moonstone) than my others. Go figure.

I think the Stylemaster in Moonstone will be my next lid.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner