Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stylemaster thoughts and opinions

addison

One of the Regulars
I believe it comes from those who enjoy the look of a late 30s and 40s style hat when the diamond bash became popular and gave even somewhat tapered hats a boxy look.... I know all those old movies have made an enormous impression on me

I don't mind seeing taper on folks ... just don't like it much on me

Would you say, as a general rule, that a guy with a rounder head shape (like me) will look better with a less-tapered crown?

<<< For example, my profile pic is me wearing my Bogart...which I'm starting to think has way too much taper for my fat head!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Would you say, as a general rule, that a guy with a rounder head shape (like me) will look better with a less-tapered crown?

<<< For example, my profile pic is me wearing my Bogart...which I'm starting to think has way too much taper for my fat head!
I think everyone looks better with a less tapered crown ... but that is just me

GLB Pro

New in Town
If I was looking for this kind of style, which hat would get me closer to it? I know the stylemaster doesn't have as fat a ribbon band, but I do quite like that kind of rounded look.

latest

I have a stylemaster in Acorn fawn which looks very much like the hat in the picture above, right down to the colour:

-o90af2YWZ7kt8ho3QSLlY1vUK8PzJTyBFijisnMI2Tmt5fk0iJdpvjbrgsx3NkUixxUy-qmrZGh1hPRTdZ1eRtnFrw-vbw_OjUkPbyKGOUO82u3LYzEiYGQ_Nmpdlq74NXEn5Ae5mAXiEZfathHKKlDxu4Wjvk0Y-fIGM0EtH5Z4Jv9jbQL-vOIqG2tCyQURRe9ILrIe4WLUENwSZQrFfSf3BrF4QExtBY4jalYxWzaJ0IqyRh5mdBfR4Fohy6KU9TsoUb27pNmo7XlgCwZhcmXEblZ5G-mcOxtahu-Oi0C9g7hXdyl89TY9cGeXXfnFOMM_BDrp0sunqaaQxTCxd9dltyzg-TtOhLBzgV1zuG1NUSpxaRpAYbafvxCorOMU2TNKYN5ib9HNjpL2IletZrpKWVU6zvEBh_MpGn7nafbpXD8MyHZhTzErMpxQViFwSqDLCU4JDKAQ0MuKT_BOApIPEA-B4uxrCtzVp717GBDAvEBN01WlQiv-8V9SMwT-SPON0X3c5GMNJNEYAxYLRZLUbbejnmrKoIqztkchI_HWzX7fPnR9s3LeTg1-RyWAQxMElQ2efdZKDvlX6vL3ZlgsNkvWM-SICXr0Wx1WCIPkuqtUKrvNfLyuU793ZvSgz_-bd3wv5oPMUY-672yX-loelrir3wfdMuKQJp-0g=w1299-h974-no

Just replace the band with a contrasting ribbon and flatten the front a bit.

Yes the stylemaster has some taper but not as much as the bogart. Unless you're a real purist I don't think anyone will notice:

QOU27k4eE2JLKopqP68TPBOGbT7n0x_jfYlscF-vcChe7L1FuncG3135htyDW1JCmjh-XvqF9USkDIcMVIxkRa110Ex4X6cBIlFPcBwXgIBX9abgC9YimjnW-uklmpbRm840A2Ci_6d4rhRIRRvgiR-viQ-Psz0HomLYwPEt_2DTkSxu-uOszeT1zhmjLU94N7LTaH0Q-R61Q2E69zCCWGA8YjWlgzeNhkqMqWM5wablhiEPS7E8tDTS2KVOMCH7SgnC18jxTYMS72eLvKXXAxgJSt325jv5b54ewMZeOYfYxjd7C9IbQdmObjsmf8z0gj4Kfrgez8BLx5wPvCic3icBBeW_oeLYbUh-_qWHK9oJJt515y7T-Jee7rhGEGGuBOqohe_JtFZIKhvSGEp8F1rWnyCJ39K8-LbHFlw5_2HKBcfTZfisHtPqcCdtK7oW4e65HQYpbvFxbxMioaAipMS_1yozmlZMYPWVzaAQwQBbePIvnChZKoqZsxxthudTMQMYA-qlX5AikpytVWrda6OoHVMVt6d7siWf9zD0SopMxJzKbv96J7xpQU3YNXeD4G6V2Ns3sCB2RuZX2mm8w8KPPfg-syFJtRSr2d66svgLPOIDS4dq9QcZXLGVHFMiRWdYjl_9K6rt-kBHQKu5V117uAwsZLDYfPmGxVoWgA=w1299-h974-no

I have a stylemaster in Acorn fawn which looks very much like the hat in the picture above, right down to the colour:

-o90af2YWZ7kt8ho3QSLlY1vUK8PzJTyBFijisnMI2Tmt5fk0iJdpvjbrgsx3NkUixxUy-qmrZGh1hPRTdZ1eRtnFrw-vbw_OjUkPbyKGOUO82u3LYzEiYGQ_Nmpdlq74NXEn5Ae5mAXiEZfathHKKlDxu4Wjvk0Y-fIGM0EtH5Z4Jv9jbQL-vOIqG2tCyQURRe9ILrIe4WLUENwSZQrFfSf3BrF4QExtBY4jalYxWzaJ0IqyRh5mdBfR4Fohy6KU9TsoUb27pNmo7XlgCwZhcmXEblZ5G-mcOxtahu-Oi0C9g7hXdyl89TY9cGeXXfnFOMM_BDrp0sunqaaQxTCxd9dltyzg-TtOhLBzgV1zuG1NUSpxaRpAYbafvxCorOMU2TNKYN5ib9HNjpL2IletZrpKWVU6zvEBh_MpGn7nafbpXD8MyHZhTzErMpxQViFwSqDLCU4JDKAQ0MuKT_BOApIPEA-B4uxrCtzVp717GBDAvEBN01WlQiv-8V9SMwT-SPON0X3c5GMNJNEYAxYLRZLUbbejnmrKoIqztkchI_HWzX7fPnR9s3LeTg1-RyWAQxMElQ2efdZKDvlX6vL3ZlgsNkvWM-SICXr0Wx1WCIPkuqtUKrvNfLyuU793ZvSgz_-bd3wv5oPMUY-672yX-loelrir3wfdMuKQJp-0g=w1299-h974-no

Just replace the band with a contrasting ribbon and flatten the front a bit.

Yes the stylemaster has some taper but not as much as the bogart. Unless you're a real purist I don't think anyone will notice:

QOU27k4eE2JLKopqP68TPBOGbT7n0x_jfYlscF-vcChe7L1FuncG3135htyDW1JCmjh-XvqF9USkDIcMVIxkRa110Ex4X6cBIlFPcBwXgIBX9abgC9YimjnW-uklmpbRm840A2Ci_6d4rhRIRRvgiR-viQ-Psz0HomLYwPEt_2DTkSxu-uOszeT1zhmjLU94N7LTaH0Q-R61Q2E69zCCWGA8YjWlgzeNhkqMqWM5wablhiEPS7E8tDTS2KVOMCH7SgnC18jxTYMS72eLvKXXAxgJSt325jv5b54ewMZeOYfYxjd7C9IbQdmObjsmf8z0gj4Kfrgez8BLx5wPvCic3icBBeW_oeLYbUh-_qWHK9oJJt515y7T-Jee7rhGEGGuBOqohe_JtFZIKhvSGEp8F1rWnyCJ39K8-LbHFlw5_2HKBcfTZfisHtPqcCdtK7oW4e65HQYpbvFxbxMioaAipMS_1yozmlZMYPWVzaAQwQBbePIvnChZKoqZsxxthudTMQMYA-qlX5AikpytVWrda6OoHVMVt6d7siWf9zD0SopMxJzKbv96J7xpQU3YNXeD4G6V2Ns3sCB2RuZX2mm8w8KPPfg-syFJtRSr2d66svgLPOIDS4dq9QcZXLGVHFMiRWdYjl_9K6rt-kBHQKu5V117uAwsZLDYfPmGxVoWgA=w1299-h974-no
I wear a 7 3/8 hat and have what I consider a big head (mostly thick skull rather than content). I have a fawn Sydney which is a very similar Akubra to the Stylemaster, perhaps slightly less taper to the Sydney with a raw edge. David Morgan sells this version. I think it suits me very well. The proportions work even with my fat head.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
should I branch out and buy other brands, like maybe a Stetson Whippet, or even a Borsalino?
Interesting question...

I break hats into a few categories...new production, post-vintage production (1965 or so to now), vintage production, bespoke. It sounds like your interested in new production.

If you're interested in vintage hats, you're at the mercy of the marketplace. I, for example, have a large hat size (7 5/8 extra long oval), Not easy to find in vintage.

So...for myself, I've decided to focus on bespoke hats, from a variety of makers. I may add an Akubra or few in there, but I'm also interested in trying out some of the lesser known (and respected) production companies just to have tried them.

OTOH, it seems there are people who seem to be focused on one (or just a couple) of hatters. IMO, you'll figure it out over time, and may end up selling something you buy now. Happens all the time.

William G.

One of the Regulars
Super pliable fur felt Akubra Stylemaster. Loving the purchase right on time for 242 Birthday of The US Marines! Semper Fi

I passed up a deal on an acorn Sytlemaster in my size back in the summer because I didn't like the way it looked in the pictures. YOUR pictures are making me regret that very much. Great looking hat.

Samuel

Practically Family
I passed up a deal on an acorn Sytlemaster in my size back in the summer because I didn't like the way it looked in the pictures. YOUR pictures are making me regret that very much. Great looking hat.
It's a nice color, I don't know, it seems like it's a perfect fall color and highlights browns, tans, orange, and reds. It's a rich color upclose and hard to capture. I'll try indirect sunlight next. I'm happy with the purchase.

William G.

One of the Regulars
It's a nice color, I don't know, it seems like it's a perfect fall color and highlights browns, tans, orange, and reds. It's a rich color upclose and hard to capture. I'll try indirect sunlight next. I'm happy with the purchase.

I agree, it's a very nice color. And, yeah, hats are very hard to get accurate pictures of. The pictures on the one I looked made it seem chocolate brown. That's very nice. I have a feeling you'll get a lot more use out of it than you think you will now.

Samuel

Practically Family
I agree, it's a very nice color. And, yeah, hats are very hard to get accurate pictures of. The pictures on the one I looked made it seem chocolate brown. That's very nice. I have a feeling you'll get a lot more use out of it than you think you will now.
You're right hats for some reason are hard to photograph in terms of capturing color. And you have indoor lighting versus sunlight, both emit different tones. I've bought hats based on color, but never seen the nuances until up close. This is the case with my Akubra, the color is richer than the dipiction.

I'm not that enamored with my Akubra Stylemaster in acorn fawn. Aside from the normal Akubra sizing issues, I do not like the low crown and the difficulty in re-creasing. It's not a bad hat, it was just a bit of a disappointment.

25d23f655e4efa24d5bca9ca798990e6.jpg
16d3bcedab0eb67b51648852c529cc56.jpg
b11892f51e1b76f2386fc87ecb0760ec.jpg

For what it's worth, I'm also having a hard time making peace with my Federation IV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Akubra Sydney in Fawn (David Morgan import) which is the same hat except for an unbound brim. I think it is a good hat, nice felt that bashes and holds easily. Represents great value, price/quality in my view but then I am an unabashed Akubra fan.

I have the Akubra Sydney in Fawn (David Morgan import) which is the same hat except for an unbound brim. I think it is a good hat, nice felt that bashes and holds easily. Represents great value, price/quality in my view but then I am an unabashed Akubra fan.

It could be that my hat just had more stiffener added as mine does not bash easily. It could also be that I have not spent enough time working on it.

To be honest, I think I went into my Akubra experience with unreasonably high expectations. I did not mean to disparage the hat or to imply that it was not a quality product.

Dis OTE="deadlyhandsome, post: 2326289, member: 41021"]It could be that my hat just had more stiffener added as mine does not bash easily. It could also be that I have not spent enough time working on it.

To be honest, I think I went into my Akubra experience with unreasonably high expectations. I did not mean to disparage the hat or to imply that it was not a quality product.[/QUOTE]
Did not take it as a diss but your honest opinion. What we like and value is so subjective and I so value the honest exchange on this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner